Step 1 Study Plan help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerseyguy123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started my dedicated which is an 8 week plan. My first NBME (form 21) was a 194. I created a plan but quickly realized that I cannot keep up with the plan. Essentially the plan consists of 7-8 hours of FA, Pathoma, Sketchy micro and pharm. And then 80 questions of Uworld. The problem is the Uworld Questions take forever (1 block takes me anywhere from 3-4 hours). So I have to make a decision, to drop Uworld questions or to drop the other study material. The way I do Uworld is by mixing questions from each section I currently completed in my dedicated in tutor mode. My current Uworld average is 70-77% (10% completed), which is why I don't want to drop using my study material, because my method seems to be working in terms of Uworld percentage, and I everything I get wrong, I conceptually understand why. I'm thinking of dropping to 50 questions daily until I finish my first pass of everything, and then doing 2 blocks of Uworld with a second pass on the material (which should go much faster). The problem is, I probably wont finish U world by test date, I'll probably be 85-90% done. I wanted to ask for advice on whether I should drop study material and do more questions, or drop questions but then not finish the test bank completely (10-15% left). Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Just my two cents, but 3-4 hours on a block of UW is not sustainable nor efficient. You should do your blocks in timed mode, not tutor. Then review for 1.5 hours/block.

Questions should be prioritized though. Another idea is to do your questions first in the AM, then do the studying after

Reactions: 1 user
Just my two cents, but 3-4 hours on a block of UW is not sustainable nor efficient. You should do your blocks in timed mode, not tutor. Then review for 1.5 hours/block.

Questions should be prioritized though. Another idea is to do your questions first in the AM, then do the studying after
Thank you for your response. Do you mind if I ask how you review a block of questions in 1.5 hours. that means you spend a little over 2 minutes per question. Iv heard of other people doing this, I just don't understand how to review paragraphs worth of written material about a question in only 2 minutes, especially if I get the question wrong.

The quick answer is to divide your reviews up into three categories. The ones you got correct and knew it was correct (didn't mark it, didn't second guess yourself etc). These should be quick reviews (i.e, just read the paragraph and objective, maybe glance at the other options. But then move on. The second category is the ones you got correct but guessed and didn't know for sure. This one you should read all the answer options explanations and make a note of something that is unfamiliar to you. The third is the ones you got wrong. These will take the majority of your time. You read all the explanation and then go back to resources like FA/Pathoma etc, and re-read/study why you got the question wrong.

tldr; don't spend too much time on the ones you know you got right and were right. You already know that information. And you probably will get it right again. (unless you guessed, in which case that falls into category #2 and you should review that more).

Reactions: 1 users
The quick answer is to divide your reviews up into three categories. The ones you got correct and knew it was correct (didn't mark it, didn't second guess yourself etc). These should be quick reviews (i.e, just read the paragraph and objective, maybe glance at the other options. But then move on. The second category is the ones you got correct but guessed and didn't know for sure. This one you should read all the answer options explanations and make a note of something that is unfamiliar to you. The third is the ones you got wrong. These will take the majority of your time. You read all the explanation and then go back to resources like FA/Pathoma etc, and re-read/study why you got the question wrong.

tldr; don't spend too much time on the ones you know you got right and were right. You already know that information. And you probably will get it right again. (unless you guessed, in which case that falls into category #2 and you should review that more).
Thank you for the advise. I think I'm getting better using U world. I'm still not at the pace of 2 hours per block (40q), but I'm roughly at the pace of 2 hours per 30 questions.