Step 1 = The Thinning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

failedatlife

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No trailer has better exemplified the role of standardized testing in the medical profession:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My first instinct is :laugh:, but then I realize who posted this....:(

Reactions: 2 users
Based on the premise: yeah pretty much, if failing the step and Doing family medicine in Wyoming is equivalent to death for you.

Based on the ending: probably your dream come true.
No trailer has better exemplified the role of standardized testing in the medical profession:

Members don't see this ad :)
abridged backstory?
Guy wanted to do ENT his whole life, studied really hard, research, blah blah. Got a 222 on step 1, thinks the world is crumbling. Still can't tell if it's a joke account or not.

Reactions: 8 users
Am confused, the Thinning is about dying if you don't pass a test, but the premise of the movie is that people who did fine still got sentenced to die. So...are you saying that your test score was a mistake too? Seems to just be ignoring that part of the movie

Guy wanted to do ENT his whole life, studied really hard, research, blah blah. Got a 222 on step 1, thinks the world is crumbling. Still can't tell if it's a joke account or not.

It was made in July of last year. Idk are joke accounts that long lasting?

If I were you, I'd step out of the limelight until this upcoming cycle is over. In 2016, 14 out of 290 US seniors applied to ENT with a Step 1 score in your range. Any applicants with your specific Step 1 score may be heavily scrutinized.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you, I'd step out of the limelight until this upcoming cycle is over. In 2016, 14 out of 290 US seniors applied to ENT with a Step 1 score in your range. Any applicants with your specific Step 1 score may be heavily scrutinized.
I completely agree. @failedatlife if you show up to your pre-interview dinners naked dancing like that baby in your profile pic you're sure to be found out. ENT draws some of the most intelligent individuals in the united states...and beyond!

Reactions: 4 users
What's the most degrading thing you would do for 40 points added to your step score?

Reactions: 9 users
failedatlife did you star in this movie? Forget ENT...a career in Hollywood may be in the cards for you.

Reactions: 1 user
failedatlife did you star in this movie? Forget ENT...a career in Hollywood may be in the cards for you.

He's pretty creative. I think that he has potential as a movie director.

I'm pretty sure that Ben Cohen, founder of Ben & Jerry, doesn't give a damn that he couldn't crack 195 on the USMLE Step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
222 isn't even a bad score lmao. It's in the same range as 229, which is average for MD students. Unless you were really ENT, Derm or bust, then you're good. High end step scores are overrated, they don't buy you much. It's med studs obsession more than anything.

To me, MCAT was way more important.

222 isn't even a bad score lmao. It's in the same range as 229, which is average for MD students. Unless you were really ENT, Derm or bust, then you're good. High end step scores are overrated, they don't buy you much. It's med studs obsession more than anything.

You're really underselling step 1 here. There are plenty of fields outside of derm and ENT where a high step 1 will open some doors (or a low step 1 can shut nearly all of them). Even for something like IM you'll want a high score if you're shooting for top programs. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the many students for whom a high step 1 matters. Hell, even if you're interested in something noncompetitive, a high step 1 can give you some geographical flexibility which, again, is very important to some students.

Reactions: 4 users