Step 2 a requirement for Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

error404

file not found
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just contacted a program I hadn't heard from yet, because I was scheduled to be in the area and was wondering if they'd consider an interview. The program director told me that the reason I hadn't been interviewed was that there's a strict policy of only interviewing students who have both Step 1 and Step 2 scores available.

This is the first time I (or my friends) have heard of this.

Did I miss something? I was told by my advisors and dean that taking Step 2 in January wouldn't hamper my applications-- but now it has.

Are a lot of programs doing this?

--Paranoid Prelim

Members don't see this ad.

I just contacted a program I hadn't heard from yet, because I was scheduled to be in the area and was wondering if they'd consider an interview. The program director told me that the reason I hadn't been interviewed was that there's a strict policy of only interviewing students who have both Step 1 and Step 2 scores available.

This is the first time I (or my friends) have heard of this.

Did I miss something? I was told by my advisors and dean that taking Step 2 in January wouldn't hamper my applications-- but now it has.

Are a lot of programs doing this?

--Paranoid Prelim

That's more typically a requirement for IMGs, but it's certainly up to the programs who they want to interview and what they require. Did you check their website before you applied?

That's more typically a requirement for IMGs, but it's certainly up to the programs who they want to interview and what they require. Did you check their website before you applied?

Yep-- not mentioned. At least, nowhere I saw before applying or after when I went back to check...

Most programs don't require this. But for more competitive specialties, I have been told that they take the Step 2 into account more often. Perhaps if you are a strong candidate you could prevail upon one of your LOR writers, or your dept. chair at your med school to ask the program if they'll schedule you in spite of this. If you are an IMG they may be wanting the score just because they don't know how to interpret your grades or LORs.