Step 2 and residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UKingdom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a 4th quarter student with a poor step 1 score (191), and my concern is my residency application might be sifted out due to poor numbers; i'm applying for internal medicine. hence my motivation to take step 2 early (mid september). the hope is that a good step 2 score would deflect some of that doubt over poor step 1 scores and help my application.

my question is, should i wait for my step 2 scores to come back before i submit my application? i know that i can go ahead and submit my app and the schools will know that a step 2 score is coming in, but my concern is they will see 4th quartile and poor step 1 score and automatically throw it out without waiting; having a good step 2 score however, when the app is submitted, gives an entirely different impression. i've talked to different people from my med school and i get different answers ranging from "won't matter, just submit your app," to "that sounds like a good strategy."

if i take the exam mid sept, my guess is it takes about 3-4 weeks for the scores to come back, meaning i would submit my app early-mid october...that's kind of late though isn't it or is it ok? i'm applying to internal medicine so it isn't super competitive but i'd like to try to get at least a few good interviews to reach schools, or at least maximize my chance to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a pulse and a passing score - you'll get medicine interviews. They have so many spots that they have to take a whole lot of people.

I have the exact same Step 1 score, and am applying to anesthesia. I'm waiting for my CK results now, so I can submit my application the day it arrives.

I think the fact that medicine isn't competitive is why you've gotten varied responses. Personally, I'd guage how my studying is going using World, NBME, etc, and if well, then wait. Otherwise, you may be waiting for no benefit if you don't improve significantly.

I hope someone can help me! I had two attempt with step 1 and scored 190 the second time around. I'm planning on taking step 2 end of sept.
I'm starting to heard that psychiatry is becoming very competetive. Do you thing i still have a good chance of getting a good residency proogram in NYC!?!?

A significant improvement with Step 2 can help a lot. If you want to improve your chances, work your tail off for CK. I wish I had done the UW questions I had missed again before the test; I think that would have helped the most.

I did an NBME that said my weakest area was OB/Gyn, so I did all the OB questions I missed twice, and it really seemed to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice. So i shouldn't send my eras out until i get my scores? Would that hurt my chances of getting interviews bc i'm turning in my application late.

Scores seem to take about 4 weeks to return - I probably wouldn't wait that long. You're going to lose opportunities both ways - from waiting or from having low scores.

You should talk to some people in the psych dept at your school, and your dean too. They've seen a bunch of students; I haven't.

You can submit, then contact the programs once your score is back, letting them know your score has returned & any other updates to your application. But you really should talk to some people at your school and your program (and maybe the program you'd like to end up at)