Step 2 CK NBME 4 scoring!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm still trying to figure out this crazy NBME 4 scaled scoring for the Step 2 CK. It says that:
CCSSA: Step 2:
800 >297
750 288
700 276
650 265
600 253
550 242
500 230
450 218
This is the NBME 4 that I purchased online on the website with extended feedback. It said that I made a 580 which corresponded to a 249 on the scale above. Kind of strange. Other people are quoting like 700 being in the 250s for this same form. Can anyone verify that they have the same scaled score table?

(Obviously, this is disappointing to me since I scored a 255 on UWSA recently as well as a 251 (670) a few weeks ago).

Thanks for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I figured it out. I got 23 wrong. On the extended feedback, it showed me the # incorrect and the questions too.

So, my percentage correct was (186-23)/186=87.5%.

I've found a conversion chart from the bootleg NBME 4 which shows that 87.4% correct is equivalent to a 620 or a 244. So, the new strange chart online of 580 does not correspond to a 580 on prior tests because people were quoting 800 as being >268, but my table on the NBME 4 online extended review showed 800 as > 297. Thus, on everyone else's chart, I'm in the low 600s most likely. 244 (620) still sucks compared to my UWSA of 255 last week, but it's better than 230s.

No offense meant by this at all, but I think you're putting too much stock in the self-assessment scores. A difference of six points on a score estimator, which has notorious variability depending on exam difficulty, is not much at all. NBME predicted my scores would be 30-40 points lower than they actually were. Keep your eye on the prize and remember there's only one number that's going to matter. The rest is just motivation and/or reassurance.

No offense meant by this at all, but I think you're putting too much stock in the self-assessment scores. A difference of six points on a score estimator, which has notorious variability depending on exam difficulty, is not much at all. NBME predicted my scores would be 30-40 points lower than they actually were. Keep your eye on the prize and remember there's only one number that's going to matter. The rest is just motivation and/or reassurance.

You're right. I've been too obsessive about these tests. Thanks for the feedback!

I based when I was going to take my exam on my NBME performance. To hear you say you scored 30-40 pys higher than what was predicted on the NBME warms my heart. I went into my test borderline on NBME exams. I felt like the test was written better and was more direct questioning than the NBME tests I was using to gauge my performance. My test results are in the computer and I am too afraid to open them.