Step 2 CK score drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rEYEmnocerus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. So I received my Step 2 CK score today. My step 1 was a 250, step 2 is a 245. I admittedly did not study as hard for this one. Do you think it will hurt me if I tell programs on interviews? Can I just tell programs I don't know my score yet?

Some other info: US grad. I am top half of my class, but not AOA. Almost all honors on clinical rotations (Peds was only pass)

My name is on 1 paper and 3 posters (none lead). I have >5 research experiences. I was told my letters were very strong from people within my program that read them.

I took the test while I was preparing an abstract (lead author) and getting my name on a paper (not lead)- both submitted. Do you think this is a valid excuse for the drop?

Any advice is welcome. I don't really want to ask a mentor, as I fear it may affect me at my home institution.

Thank you. And sorry if this is another annoying "WHAT DO I DO?!?!?" thread, but it is a stressful time in some of our young careers, so please be gentle with your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely wouldn't lie if asked about step 2 scores. But my impression is that most programs won't care to ask about the score in the first place. If they do, just tell the truth. 245 is still a good score and you can tell them about how you were in the midst of a lot of other work

This is coming from a fellow applicant so take it with a grain of salt, but I agree, don't lie. Maybe don't volunteer the info, but don't pretend you never saw the score either. I think the #1 thing people hate in medicine is a liar, because if you think about it, EVERYTHING is medicine is grounded in trust. So don't get tarred with that brush.

I would also not make excuses, esp since no one ever has an "ideal" study period, but plenty of people in worse situations may have done better than you. Example: not to mix politics with ophtho, think of how badly Chafee got mocked after the first Democratic debates for saying he made a bad call voting because his father had died. If you really think about it, that really is an unbelievably awful experience and valid grounds for not being at your best... but when he used as an excuse, it just came off as weakness and whining, and he got crucified for it.

Finally, I don't mean to stress you out by saying this, but the fact is 245 is indeed a lower score than 250, esp if you take into account the curve. 250 is way above average; 245 is barely above average. You can't really paint over that. That said, most people don't think about the curve, so I doubt it'll kill you. IMHO the best you can do is hope it doesn't get asked about, own up to it courageously if it IS asked about, and move on. Sometimes the more you tread over a mark the bigger it gets, you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Summary: 1) don't lie 2) can we please stop this nonsense that a 245 is a bad score? No one cares. If you ask any attending, they will nod and move on.
Be confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Summary: 1) don't lie 2) can we please stop this nonsense that a 245 is a bad score? No one cares. If you ask any attending, they will nod and move on.
Be confident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, these attendings didn't take step 2 yesterday and don't sit there staring at the stats for averages for this test.

245 vs 250? Negligible

Don't mention the score or the drop unless they bring it up... Otherwise you will look like a neurotic freak show. Sorry, subtleties aren't my thing ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, thank you to everyone. I try to save my neuroses for the internet. This was therapeutic in that sense. If asked, I will simply state the fact. Reading through these forums, it seems a lot of people say it's not the answer (unless it's shocking) to questions, but the way you answer it. I'll hope that logic stands in this scenario.

I just really want a job, you know?

For the record -- I never meant to imply 245 is bad. It's not; it's a great score, and I have friends who would have given their left arm for it. My primary point was just that you shouldn't inadvertently draw more attention to it in the process of excusing or explaining yourself! :)

Reactions: 1 user