Quantcast

Step 2 CK timing for Ophtho and Prelim application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unhistoried

Reaction score
I've reviewed the answers from the past few years, and the consensus was to only take Step 2 CK earlier in the year if you need to bolster your Step 1 score.

I scored a 250 on Step 1 and don't think I'm in a position to improve on that score by more than 10 points (or at all), so my thought is that I'll just wait until October-ish to take it. But I can make mid to late August work if it'd be beneficial or necessary (though again, I won't have a schedule that will allow me to score significantly higher).

So the questions that I'm hoping you'll help answer:

1. Are any ophtho programs requiring Step 2 before match/interview? I know that this is a trend in other specialties, but I'm hoping that because ophtho is an early match it isn't following suit.

2. Is Step 2 required/strongly suggested for transitional or other prelim year programs?

I know that I can (and probably will) make some calls to figure this stuff out for myself, but I thought I'd first take advantage of the collective wisdom of SDN.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DoctorJedi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't remember any programs that specifically required step 2 CK scores, but there were a few that told me they liked to see them (don't remember which at this point, but a few programs commented during my interviews). That being said, I know several people who didn't even take step 2 CK or CS until after SF match results in January, and they matched fine, for both Ophtho and prelim. So basically, do what you're comfortable with and what works with your schedule!