Step 2 CS and Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrunchyTeddy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that unfortunately, I failed my step 2 cs. This was a huge shock to me as I’m a 4th yr allopathic student and have done well with SPs throughout my clerkship and sub internships. I’m not terribly worried about the match because all the rank order lists have already been submitted at this point, but I am worried if I’ll be able to start intern year without a passing grade in Step 2 CS. Does anybody know if prelim med or transitional year programs require passing Step 2 CS prior to starting? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently found out that unfortunately, I failed my step 2 cs. This was a huge shock to me as I’m a 4th yr allopathic student and have done well with SPs throughout my clerkship and sub internships. I’m not terribly worried about the match because all the rank order lists have already been submitted at this point, but I am worried if I’ll be able to start intern year without a passing grade in Step 2 CS. Does anybody know if prelim med or transitional year programs require passing Step 2 CS prior to starting? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Does your school allow you to graduate without a passing Step 2 CS? Pretty sure that's the first limiting factor. After that, I'd say yeah, most residencies want you to have a passing CS score to start.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school allow you to graduate without a passing Step 2 CS? Pretty sure that's the first limiting factor. After that, I'd say yeah, most residencies want you to have a passing CS score to start.
Many schools (including where I am at) do not require CS for graduation... I know Wisconsin might be one of the states that do not require CS for a training license...

Last edited:
Thanks! I am signed up to retake the exam. My med school doesn’t require passing Step 2 CS to graduate. Any idea if Pennsylvania prelims or TYs require Step 2 CS for training license? Im tempted to say no because I know my home institution doesn’t require interns to pass CS until halfway through intern year

Thanks! I am signed up to retake the exam. My med school doesn’t require passing Step 2 CS to graduate. Any idea if Pennsylvania prelims or TYs require Step 2 CS for training license? Im tempted to say no because I know my home institution doesn’t require interns to pass CS until halfway through intern year
It's probably yes...

good grief! why would one wait til intern year to take a step?

its march...and after match day, there won't really be that much for you to do...why on earth would it take you 4 months to take CS...take it by april and you should have the results by june (though you would need to check the schedule to see when the scores are released).

I am taking the test ASAP and definitely before intern year. Obvi I want to take it early and get it over with. My question is about the logistics of internship eligibility and regulations, not about my personal preference.

I am taking the test ASAP and definitely before intern year. Obvi I want to take it early and get it over with. My question is about the logistics of internship eligibility and regulations, not about my personal preference.

Some programs might want you to get a passing result before July 1st

I can't speak to the necessary elements to start residency, but it was my understanding that an overwhelming majority of programs (90%+) will not rank an applicant, even if they interviewed well, without a passing Step 2 CS score. Is this incorrect?

I wanted to clarify bc OP said they were not worried about the match, but I would be very worried without a passing Step 2 CS score, and would be expecting to SOAP.

I can't speak to the necessary elements to start residency, but it was my understanding that an overwhelming majority of programs (90%+) will not rank an applicant, even if they interviewed well, without a passing Step 2 CS score. Is this incorrect?

I wanted to clarify bc OP said they were not worried about the match, but I would be very worried without a passing Step 2 CS score, and would be expecting to SOAP.
I/FMG, yes that would be the case, but not for an AMG.

I know someone who matched IM last year without CS, but it is generally advised to have it before ROL deadline. A 1/3 of the IM programs I interviewed at told me to submit it in order to be ranked; the other 2/3 did not even mention it...

Has delayed folks’ start of training for months to a full academic year at my institution. Either their school or our licensing board or GME office won’t allow start without a pass. Be uncompromisingly aggressive in getting a retake date and passing absolutely ASAP. Make it your full time job, I mean.

ETA oh whew you have a date. Advice stands for others who may be in your situation.

For a US grad, it's a minority of programs that won't rank without a CS score. A growing minority, but a minority still. For some reason, it seemed to be a more prevalent requirement in CA than other areas of the country.

To be honest no one really knows besides your Program Coordinator at your hospital. To anyone reading this in March/April 2019 scared that they failed Step 2 CS their second or (first) time around, do the following.

Figure out if your school requires Step 2 CS passage(or just an attempt) before graduation. I think most states I know require an MD/DO degree before you get your training license. There are three types of licenses in residency. There’s a temporary, training, and normal license. The temporary is what you get once the state licensing board gives you the go ahead, but there’s still paperwork to be done that’ll take a bit. I think it’s valid for 120 days. I tried asking places if that license can be given to those with Step 2 CS stuff pending, but wasn’t able to get an answer so I don’t know. The training license is what you get until you complete Step 3/Intern Year. So basically if you get lucky and your school doesn’t require CS for graduation, you need to see what your state says regarding granting a temporary license before your Step 2 CS is in.

I would hold off from letting your program know until you know you’ve failed and realized you won’t be able to make residency. It just draws unnecessary attention to you and arrangements may be made when they’re not required and adds extra work and your name will stick out more in the PDs head for the wrong reason. If you let them know if you fail, there’s still 2 months until you start for them to do something about it.

There are three types of licenses in residency. There’s a temporary, training, and normal license. The temporary is what you get once the state licensing board gives you the go ahead, but there’s still paperwork to be done that’ll take a bit. I think it’s valid for 120 days.
This might be true in some specific state. It is not true in all states, or even most of them.

This might be true in some specific state. It is not true in all states, or even most of them.

Ugh, chances are I’m misinformed. That was my understanding, what’s wrong about it @Raryn ?

Ugh, chances are I’m misinformed. That was my understanding, what’s wrong about it @Raryn ?
What's wrong is that the rules are state specific. So while it may be the case for wherever you are now, or where you're going in July, it may not be true for wherever @Raryn is, or where I am, or where the OP is.

Some states have temporary/training licenses. Some have one of the two. Some have none of the two and trainees are just under some kind of institutional license. The process of applying for said training licenses is radically different from state to state (and may even be different within a state depending on if you're a US MD, DO, or foreign MD), ranging from a one page formality to a full application almost as onerous as a permanent license. It's impossible to say.