Step 2 CS Friday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mossjoh

Mayo Clinic-PGY2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have Step 2 CS this upcoming Friday. Any advice from those who have already taken it?

I'm trying my best to stay calm about the whole thing and not be nervous. I know I do worse when I get nervous because I forget to ask simple questions I should be asking. I know this is just like a regular patient encounter, and the patients will be nice, its just that I'm being evaluated I guess.

I'll be in Chicago, so anyone who has tested there will be helpful as well.

Thanks for the advice...

Mossjoh

Members don't see this ad.

1. if you havent done so FA is your book, encounters came almost word by word out of the book, even with the tricky questions

2. I had a list of questions made in my head I would always ask...this way you can´t forget stuff and nobody will punish you for asking to much

3. be very and I mean very very considered of the PT, smile, let them talk, tell them what you think is going on, adjust your voice to the PT, say sorry, ask for additinal questions

...and you´ll be fine, I forgot to wash my hands with the first PT, did not finish one note and one encounter due to time, thought i forgot a million things, wrote rather overall test than specific and passed! (Philly)

Mossjoh said:
Anyone? Anyone? I know more of you have taken CS ;)

Just took it yesterday in Houston.

Pretty long test for us.... 12 stations. We went through 5 stations, took a 30 minute lunch break (a sandwich bar, which looked like it cost a whole $25 to fund), went through 4 stations, took a 15 minute rest break, then finished off the last 3 stations. Following the exam you fill out an evaluation/survey sorta like Step1 and CK. Oh, before you begin there's about an hour or so of orientation where you get your badges, clipboards, etc. , and then they show you a video and powerpoint presentation about what to do and what not to do. From the start of orientation to finishing the survey it took 7.5 hours (8am - 3:30pm). Be prepared to be referred to as "Dr." and expect to be surrounded by a lot of people in white coats longer than your's.

It's not really that bad. Everyone there was nervous, many being more so than I was which made me a feel a lot better. People looked bad before, during, and after the test. Figures, since the NBME refuses to let us know how the grading truly works; in other words, everyone feels bad about the exam, and no one really knows how they're going to do. The good news is that the odds are in your favor with a greater than 85% pass rate. Most likely you'll do fine and pass, even if you feel like crap about it.

Patients were very nice, most were very good at being SPs, a few seemed kinda new at it (don't freak out about that; it's actually kinda funny and nonintimidating). I'm guessing 2 of the stations (since we had 12 total) aren't scored, but no one knows which ones.

The biggest problem with the test is that you feel rushed the whole time. I made it though the history and physical only on my very first station, when the "this encounter is over" announcement was made. So much for counseling the patient and telling him what I thought. Fifteen minutes JUST ISN'T ENOUGH to do a really good job. You just have to go in there, ask as many relevant questions as possible, examine the relevant systems, give the patient one or two possible diagnoses and their initial workups, ask if they have any questions, and boogie outta there. After the debacle on my first station, I managed to make it out of the following 11 stations with about 10-30 seconds to spare. No one there on my day seemed to have any trouble finishing the patient note. The only thing about the PN is that you don't have a whole lotta space to write/type in. You have to be frugal with information

Don't forget that each individual encounter is ALL ABOUT THE SP. Everything you do, from the moment you knock on the door, to the moment you leave the room, should be done with the patient in mind. Smile, make eye contact, shake hands, be friendly, don't judge, be honest with them, talk before touching, and try to always ask them if what you're about to do is ok or not, especially when explaining the workup to them at the end ("I think it'd be best to draw some blood and get an xray, does that sound ok?"). The way I looked at it was: Try to make the SP feel like they are totally in control of the encounter and that the decisions are completely theirs and not mine, with what I say serving strictly as recommendations not orders.

Overall, not bad, just really expensive and time-consuming. I didn't even feel like drinking afterward. I went to bed early and drove home early next morning. I just wanted the hell out of Houston.

Goodluck mossjoh

Members don't see this ad :)
Mossjoh said:
Hey everyone! I have Step 2 CS this upcoming Friday. Any advice from those who have already taken it?

I'm trying my best to stay calm about the whole thing and not be nervous. I know I do worse when I get nervous because I forget to ask simple questions I should be asking. I know this is just like a regular patient encounter, and the patients will be nice, its just that I'm being evaluated I guess.

Thanks for the advice...

Mossjoh

took mine in chicago yesterday....stinger pretty much summed it up entirely. Almost every person in the group was a FMG who had been a practicing physician in a foreign country.

They will call EVERYONE doctor all the time. lunch is sandwiches and cookies.

the chicago site is very nice and comfortable. it's about 5 minutes from O-hare on the blue line "L" train. the "L" train has a stop about 2 minutes from 8501 Higgins Rd where the test is at.

I was impressed with how organized and non-chaotic it actually was. they run a tight ship and they had us out of their by 3:15p.m.

good luck

later

Mossjoh said:

Thanks for the advice...

Mossjoh

took mine in chicago yesterday....stinger pretty much summed it up entirely. Almost every person in the group was a FMG who had been a practicing physician in a foreign country.

They will call EVERYONE doctor all the time. lunch is sandwiches and cookies.

the chicago site is very nice and comfortable. it's about 5 minutes from O-hare on the blue line "L" train. the "L" train has a stop about 2 minutes from 8501 Higgins Rd where the test is at.

I was impressed with how organized and non-chaotic it actually was. they run a tight ship and they had us out of their by 3:15p.m.

good luck

later

Has anyone taken it starting at 3pm? If so, how late did you get out? I'm thinking about driving home afterwards (~2 hr) and am wondering if I'd be too tired to do that. (I'd just rather not spend even more $ on a hotel room!)
thanks!