Step 2 cs. Listening to cardiac areas.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rad0nc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reading through FA and it says to listen to the mitral valve with patient on left side. I have never ever seen anyone do this. Is it ok to just auscultate at the four areas with the patient sitting up?

Members don't see this ad.

I am reading through FA and it says to listen to the mitral valve with patient on left side. I have never ever seen anyone do this. Is it ok to just auscultate at the four areas with the patient sitting up?

These are special maneouvres, you should do them for completeness.

Get the patient to roll onto left side, breath out and hold to accentuate mitral valve murmurs.

Patient sit up, lean forward, breath in, breathe out and hold to accentuate aortic murmurs.

So, for CS, are you supposed to do the whole lifting the woman's breast out of the way to listen in the mitral area? I've honestly never actually done that in real life, how do you recommend I go about it?

I wish I had seen this before... I already took exam and waiting for results... I never did that, not evn for CV/respiratory cases. how bad is it?!!!

I am loosing it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
listen to all four areas with the pt sitting up. for the mitral area, and for the woman with large breasts, ask her if it's OK to lift her breast up so you can listen. this is all i did for most if not all of my pts.

So do you just say "is it ok if I move your breast out of the way?" That seems almost more awkward than just doing it

no, "can you please lift your breast up so i can listen". hahah, yea it's awkward if you say it.

So how do you say it then? Seriously do people ever even do this? I think i'm just gonna pinch their nipple and hope they get the idea.

that's exactly how i said it:

"can you please lift your left breast so i can listen to your heart".

also, i had a few patients that struggled when trying to lower their gown; offer help and if they agree, then proceed to lower the gown.

God, i hate this test.