Step 2 CS mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skindog254

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took CS in Chicago last weekend, and I’ve been freaking myself out with mistakes I made during the exam. The biggest thing that’s worrying me is that I ran out of time and completely missed closure/counseling for TWO patients. I’m sure I missed things in the history, PE, and note for patients, but feel those went pretty well overall. I’m just worried neglecting to do closure/counseling for two patients will result in me failing. If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know! Waiting 2 months for the results is going to be torture

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I am in a similar position as you! I am so scared - I wish I could get some more insight on this. The proctor literally dragged me out.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the feeling.....I did my exam few days ago. I felt super prepared and passed a mock few day before my exam, then I just messed up everything insdide the rooms. I used to be super good in my closure and counselings, but I run out of time and then I entered in a spiral of mistakes that are just killing me. No closing at all in 2 patients....I forgot to ask some imp q in the hpi in at least 1 pt and I didn’t do imp exam for the case. I have no idea how in the world I did that mess. I think all my dx were correct or at least likely. I did some nice counselings....
But the overall feeling is just terrible!!at one point of the exam I just wanted the torture to finished!!
I am pretty sure I’ll fail, not sure what I’ll do next.
Mistakes:
- not closing at all in 2 patients, just said the main diagnosis and the time finished.
- no counseling about rest to one msk pt
- I didn’t have time to write all the details in hpi
- I completely forgot the main pe in 1 case...like I should have done all pulses and I did just pedal.
- I completely missed some questions imp about hpi and I realized when I was typing my note like wtf!!the the supporting findings were a little vague
- I performed a nice special manouver in the encounter but I forgot to mention it in the note (silly huge mistake as it was positive)
- I didn’t get the names for some drugs

I know.....the next 2 months Will kill me!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be too hard on yourself! It's normal to make a few mistakes under a test environment. As long as you didn't make any major mistakes, it should be alright. I know a few people who walked out of the exam thinking they failed but they all passed! You will get good news in 2 months, don't worry!

I'm just curious....does the physician grader ONLY read your patient note, or does someone actually grade after watching almost 8 hours worth of your patient encounter?

I'm just curious....does the physician grader ONLY read your patient note, or does someone actually grade after watching almost 8 hours worth of your patient encounter?
Physician grader only reads your note. Videos are never reviewed, they're just recorded for quality and educational purposes.

Hello recently sat for step 2 CS. I’m losing a lot of hair. Grade reporting in December. Not sure how I’m supposed to go on these interviews and be cool.

For those that Passed or failed the exam what y’all think ?

Step 2 CS - mistakes

1)Forgot to counsel patient. Also, wasn’t sure if patient pretending that there was abnormal physical exam finding. I put abnormal on chart but pretty sure I saw normal on exam...

2) patient asked tough question that could have easily been answered if I just examined her. I think she was helping me out... and I was like yeah we can use your labs and figure out your question.

3) didn’t check thyroid on exam when thyroid issue was prob number 2 on ddx.

4) no idea what diagnosis was, a body part was distorted to show abnormal presentation.... I think I got a pretty good differential I was just stunned and didn’t do appropriate exam for that body part.

5) msk exam, drape fell during exam.

6) patient was taking too much of a certain Med. Well I assume that but I never asked. Y’all prob can guess which Med. Didn’t counsel.

7) didn’t get dtr response , but put normal on notes. I’m pretty sure I didn’t hit the patellar tendon.. so I was like it’s prob normal. But, I read somewhere that actors will show you normal even if you don’t do proper maneuver.

8) missed family hx on a couple notes

Things I did well.

1) 2-3 ddx for each patient

2) Completed all notes with ROS, allergies, meds medhx, surg hx socialhx, hpi and physical exam.

3) introduced myself all patients

4) summarized all cases before physical exam and sometimes again before closing

5) always closed

6) always used hand sanitizer/gel before PE

7) always asked is “do you have any questions” and “ is there anything else bothering you”

So I just took CS in Chicago last weekend, and I’ve been freaking myself out with mistakes I made during the exam. The biggest thing that’s worrying me is that I ran out of time and completely missed closure/counseling for TWO patients. I’m sure I missed things in the history, PE, and note for patients, but feel those went pretty well overall. I’m just worried neglecting to do closure/counseling for two patients will result in me failing. If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know! Waiting 2 months for the results is going to be torture
Hello, just wanted to know, did missing closure of two cases affected your CS result ?

I know the feeling.....I did my exam few days ago. I felt super prepared and passed a mock few day before my exam, then I just messed up everything insdide the rooms. I used to be super good in my closure and counselings, but I run out of time and then I entered in a spiral of mistakes that are just killing me. No closing at all in 2 patients....I forgot to ask some imp q in the hpi in at least 1 pt and I didn’t do imp exam for the case. I have no idea how in the world I did that mess. I think all my dx were correct or at least likely. I did some nice counselings....
But the overall feeling is just terrible!!at one point of the exam I just wanted the torture to finished!!
I am pretty sure I’ll fail, not sure what I’ll do next.
Mistakes:
- not closing at all in 2 patients, just said the main diagnosis and the time finished.
- no counseling about rest to one msk pt
- I didn’t have time to write all the details in hpi
- I completely forgot the main pe in 1 case...like I should have done all pulses and I did just pedal.
- I completely missed some questions imp about hpi and I realized when I was typing my note like wtf!!the the supporting findings were a little vague
- I performed a nice special manouver in the encounter but I forgot to mention it in the note (silly huge mistake as it was positive)
- I didn’t get the names for some drugs

I know.....the next 2 months Will kill me!!!
Hello, just wanted to know, did missing the closure of two cases affected your CS result?