Step 2 CS October Score Release Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocoholicsoxfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe this week is the week!

My permit is still up :(

Now I can't help but feel I failed

Members don't see this ad.

Here's to hoping that they graded ours with human beings before October and are doing a second trial run with their new computer scoring system to compare. I'm going to tell myself this is what's happening. Because to think my future could be in the hands of a newly implemented computer system? I can't handle that right now lol.

Reactions: 1 users
They might be willing to gamble with our futures based off a computer software, but at least it’ll be more efficient and cheaper for med students down the road. That’s the whole point of saving money on grading the test...right??

“The use of computer-assisted scoring will not change the cost of the exam, nor the timing with which examinees receive their scores.”

Nevermind.

Reactions: 2 users
Well I don't know about any of you, but I for one sleep soundly at night knowing that my future is in the hands of a "computer assisted scoring system" overseen by a reputable and trustworthy organization like the National Board of Medical Examiners. Who better to implement a computer-assisted scoring system (which is certainly not a random number generator) than the NBME? I think I speak for all medical students when I say that every time I visit the NBME's website I think, "Why can't all websites be like this? Has Google ever considered hiring their IT team as consultants?" And because the test is universally considered to be a fair, equitable, and transparent measure of our competency as physicians, I see no reason why they shouldn't take as long as they need to ensure that Step 2 CS faithfully fills the gaps in evaluation missed by four years of medical school, several high-stakes standardized exams, and 3-10 years of residency and fellowship training, ensuring that our nation's physicians are held to the best possible standards. And if I do fail this exam, I know that the NBME will provide me with useful feedback to improve my performance, and will allow me the opportunity to remediate for a reasonable price that certainly wouldn't involve flying across the country on a day's notice.
This is the most beautiful example of sarcasm that I’ve seen allllll year!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so stressed guys.
if anyone knows :
does the step 3 registration trick working for All the IMG, if it is my last step ?

I heard as it is not working for AMG because they not yet graduated from the medical school but how about us, IMG who is graduated.

Happy weekend everyone.

I'm so stressed guys.
if anyone knows :
does the step 3 registration trick working for All the IMG, if it is my last step ?

I heard as it is not working for AMG because they not yet graduated from the medical school but how about us, IMG who is graduated.

Happy weekend everyone.

In August, an acquaintance of mine was able to start the Step 3 registration on Monday at 9 am eastern time, 2 days before score release for the last step.

It also says notes below the 50th percentile will be manually scored. I'm sure this new computer method is just meant to decrease the workload so that no one has to look over the top half the notes if they fall into the "clearly passed" category. But we can rest assured that someone will manually score our notes if there is any danger of failing.
The bad part though is they will average the computer score and the human score. They should just use the human scoring alone in those cases.

Reactions: 1 user
This seems to indicate the ddx accuracy are what we are mainly being graded on.
Cannot see how a computer can understand anything about the note other than terms that you can already input into and verify that they are present in your note.
Kind of ridiculous because tests like these are supposed to be about your thought process and documentation ability.
This test scares me more and more everyday like my future hangs around it. I am hoping for the positive pass on Wednesday and moving on with my life.
This is just my speculation, but if this is really how the computer grades it, it is even more frustrating because I spent so much time on documenting the hx and physical exam and def missed adding in a few ddx or writing a few more supporting findings.
Heck, if all you care about is ddx, ditch everything else and have us focus on what we think the ddx is and why we think that is. Giving us 3-4 minutes to write the ddx and deciding our futures on that is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Same as above. My differential and supporting were relatively sparse. Computer grading makes me feel even worse. Applying to a competitive specialty with so much riding on this. This is torturous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The bad part though is they will average the computer score and the human score. They should just use the human scoring alone in those cases.

I was thinking this too. What if the computer and human scores are super disparate? Shouldn't that be a sign the computer score isnt accurate and should be thrown out? It seems super unfair to lower someone's score in that case? The computer assisted grading seems very suspect to me in general...

You all.......my permit just disappeared. Yikes. I thought I was anxious before. Now I'm REALLY anxious. Step 3 trick not working yet and score not listed in FCVS. At least I know I'll get an answer no later than Wednesday.

Mine is gone too. My understanding is that means we will for sure get our scores Wednesday but I dont think it means anything with regard to pass/fail... the "trick" for that is being able to register for step 3

Mine is gone too. My understanding is that means we will for sure get our scores Wednesday but I dont think it means anything with regard to pass/fail... the "trick" for that is being able to register for step 3
I'm still a medical student, so I don't think I'm eligible to register for Step 3 anyway.

Edit: I tried to register for Step 3. It says I'm not eligible, but like I said I'm still a medical student.

Members don't see this ad :)
You all.......my permit just disappeared. Yikes. I thought I was anxious before. Now I'm REALLY anxious. Step 3 trick not working yet and score not listed in FCVS. At least I know I'll get an answer no later than Wednesday.

How do i check scores on fcvs? I cant figure it out.

How do i check scores on fcvs? I cant figure it out.

My understanding is that the FCVS versus Step 3 are different tricks, with the latter being relevant for IMGs. For FCVS:

fsmb.org/fcvs/ (or Google "fsmb fcvs")
Login
Make an acct; sign in
Click FCVS (the actual checkmark) under "Credentialing Services" (yellow)
Start App
Education & Certification tab (right)
Exam History
Will say Pass or Fail at 1 AM Wednesday (late "Tuesday evening")

My understanding is that the FCVS versus Step 3 are different tricks, with the latter being relevant for IMGs. For FCVS:

fsmb.org/fcvs/ (or Google "fsmb fcvs")
Login
Make an acct; sign in
Click FCVS (the actual checkmark) under "Credentialing Services" (yellow)
Start App
Education & Certification tab (right)
Exam History
Will say Pass or Fail at 1 AM Wednesday (late "Tuesday evening")

Thanks! I found it.

Im now convinced i failed as this has been my luck the last few months.

My permit remains as well. Early August tester. What is the meaning of this? I'm not even kidding, I feel like the NBME has caused me to develop some kind of panic disorder. Never had anything like this before medical school. Ugh.

Reactions: 3 users
My permit remains as well. Early August tester. What is the meaning of this? I'm not even kidding, I feel like the NBME has caused me to develop some kind of panic disorder. Never had anything like this before medical school. Ugh.

Ya having palpitations over here. Anxiety is so bad. (Could def be from the excedrin i took earlier...) woo

Oh oh.
The real game starts now
Guys at least you know, your score will come this week. For me I can't use the permit trick as IMG.
So if I'm not able to register for step 3, either I failed or my score will not be coming this week. But still will get mini Panic attack for the next 3 days.

Please Wednesday hurry up.
It's on OASIS, you go to the USMLE application information, it says:
Your USMLE Step 2 CS Scheduling Permit was sent to your email address or mailing address of record on the Scheduling Permit Sent date indicated above.
If you did not receive your USMLE Step 2 CS Scheduling Permit, you can click here to reprint the permit.

I had the same message for my step 2 CK and the whole message disappeared a few days before my results came out.

It's on OASIS, you go to the USMLE application information, it says:
Your USMLE Step 2 CS Scheduling Permit was sent to your email address or mailing address of record on the Scheduling Permit Sent date indicated above.
If you did not receive your USMLE Step 2 CS Scheduling Permit, you can click here to reprint the permit.

I had the same message for my step 2 CK and the whole message disappeared a few days before my results came out.
Yes same here.
But in the previous threads , it seem different for step 2CS, permit may still be there and you will get your score, so nobody knows.

Yes same here.
But in the previous threads , it seem different for step 2CS, permit may still be there and you will get your score, so nobody knows.
I didn't know that, thank you! At least the possibility of getting a score this Wednesday is still there..

I am not sure if the OASIS thing works - at least judging by previous threads. Also for CS it seems like a lot of people get their scores without their permit disappearing. For what it's worth, last week I got my CK result and the permit disappeared on Tuesday.
Let's see if anyone is able to start Step 3 application today or tomorrow! (I will let you know in case I am able to)

I just tried to re-apply for CS -> unable to! I remember a year ago for Step 1 I was able to go all the way to the payment page for a long time after the exam. This was the first time I tried it for CS and as soon as I pick the exam I want to register for I get the red text saying I cannot apply for this exam and that I could only apply for the exam if I failed. Compared to CK (I already have the score) -> it takes me to a whole new page saying I have already passed this exam.
Does anyone know if this has any significance?

I just tried to re-apply for CS -> unable to! I remember a year ago for Step 1 I was able to go all the way to the payment page for a long time after the exam. This was the first time I tried it for CS and as soon as I pick the exam I want to register for I get the red text saying I cannot apply for this exam and that I could only apply for the exam if I failed. Compared to CK (I already have the score) -> it takes me to a whole new page saying I have already passed this exam.
Does anyone know if this has any significance?

do you still have the permit available then?

Just to help correlate everything... could everyone who’s permit disappeared or not give the week they took the exam, and if their eligibility period has passed or not (the permit should disappear if the eligibility period is done).

do you still have the permit available then?

My permit disappeared a few days after the exam (eligibility period deep into 2020).
That being said, for FMGs there is a "second permit" on a different website. Some people say that one disappears days before the score release, while others say it never does, not even after the scores are released. I still have it.

My permit disappeared a few days after the exam (eligibility period deep into 2020).
That being said, for FMGs there is a "second permit" on a different website. Some people say that one disappears days before the score release, while others say it never does, not even after the scores are released. I still have it.
Weird. I wish you the best for sure! Fingers crossed!!!

Just to help correlate everything... could everyone who’s permit disappeared or not give the week they took the exam, and if their eligibility period has passed or not (the permit should disappear if the eligibility period is done).
AMG. My permit disappeared and I took the exam in mid-late August.

USMD. Permit also disappeared today. Took exam July 25. Eligible until January 2020.

Last edited:
Permit gone, took it 7/16 (2 days into this reporting period fml). Last time checked on last Wednesday permit was still there

My permit is still there and I took it 8/27, with my eligibility period ending in February 2020

Exam: August 14th, AMG
Permit: Still there
Expiration: Jan 2020

I LIED. PERMIT IS NOW DOWN. I repeat: Permit is now DOWN. All soldiers report to battle stations.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Mine is still there. Either wait for another week or I failed (idk if the fail rate is higher if you get your score in the 2nd week) or it disappears later this week.