Step 2 CS Patient Note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thing1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many others I am pretty worried about CS after just taking it. I did not really prepare for it whatsoever, and thought the cases were not too bad. My biggest worry is the PN. I stupidly saw the "History" section's instructions, which said to only include relevant information, and I did NOT include ROS, PMH, PSH, Allergies, SH, FH sections in ANY of my notes! I did ask this info from every SP, but only included it in the PN where I thought it was relevant (e.g., smoking history in patient with SOB, alcohol use/NSAID use for abdominal pain). But I didn't put these in their respective sections even when I did include them. I just lumped them into the HPI. I did pretty much always include ROS, both positives and negatives within the HPI itself.

To add to that I didn't fully complete the note for about 3 cases, usually got the Ddx section partially done and didn't get the diagnostic tests done at all in these cases. Slightly panicking, anyone have any input?

I know a lot of people freak out unnecessarily after this test, but I feel like I'm the only one who did not include these vital sections in the note. Not sure why either, I always include in my notes in real life...worried this might be a true "failable" offense

Members don't see this ad.

Uh oh, you might have messed up there. What they mean by including relevant information is not to go on about joint symptoms in someone with appendicitis. Your note format is more or less identical to the notes you make in real life, and a "nil" answer to any of ROS, PMH, PSH, etc. is actually relevant.

But it's done now, take a deep breath and wait for the results. No one can definitively predict your result.

Not sure if you own the FA 2CS book (and just didn't look at it), but it may be of benefit to look at some sample notes and see how yours match up.

But as thehundredthone has said, there's nothing you can do now but forget this exam and focus on your remaining components of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you limited to 8 items for diagnostic testing or can you list more? Do people usually fill in all the spaces?

I know a lot of people freak out unnecessarily after this test, but I feel like I'm the only one who did not include these vital sections in the note. Not sure why either, I always include in my notes in real life...worried this might be a true "failable" offense

I am really worried about the patient note too. Did you get your score yet? Did you pass? Might help those of us who are in the same boat. I hope you did pass... no one should have that test multiple times as it is just a cash cow.

For the record I ended up passing. Did get a borderline in one of the sections though

Reactions: 2 users
Uh oh, you might have messed up there. What they mean by including relevant information is not to go on about joint symptoms in someone with appendicitis. Your note format is more or less identical to the notes you make in real life, and a "nil" answer to any of ROS, PMH, PSH, etc. is actually relevant.

But it's done now, take a deep breath and wait for the results. No one can definitively predict your result.

damn, i only put in the relevant things I asked during the exam since I didn't have enough space to put in all of those things such as PSH, Meds unless it was relevant. Is that really bad?