Step 2 date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavaor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Oct 15th a hard and firm date to have Step 2 completed and passed? In order for me to be able to get my core electives completed and do 1-2 aways, I have to either 1) take the step 2 without devoting lots of time to study or 2) try to figure out something else. Our school requirement is 3/15 of the 4th year...so this is really messing my schedule up. I likely will not have cores done until late Sept as it stands.

Members don't see this ad.

cavaor said:
Is Oct 15th a hard and firm date to have Step 2 completed and passed? In order for me to be able to get my core electives completed and do 1-2 aways, I have to either 1) take the step 2 without devoting lots of time to study or 2) try to figure out something else. Our school requirement is 3/15 of the 4th year...so this is really messing my schedule up. I likely will not have cores done until late Sept as it stands.

If you are serious about landing a military residency it would behoove you to have your step 2 score submitted by the deadline.

cavaor said:

USUHS students have to complete Step 2 by the end of September, so you get a couple extra days!

they also have a mandatory military medicine rotation as their first rotation, so you're still ahead of the game. It sucks to have to get it done during the early part of the year, but at least it gets it over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
cavaor said:

just to clarify, as it was explained to me, you have submit your step 2 scores to the military by october 15th, meaning you have to take the exam several weeks earlier. you should probably allow 6 weeks to get your score, which means taking the test by sept. 1, although in reality it takes more like 3-4 weeks to get your results.

Is it essential to have all clerkships completed prior to Step 2? I will not have OB-Gyn or FP (depending on how I schedule it) completed at that point. I want to make sure I pass.

cavaor said:
Is it essential to have all clerkships completed prior to Step 2? I will not have OB-Gyn or FP (depending on how I schedule it) completed at that point. I want to make sure I pass.

FP you could probably get away without completing beforehand, mostly because family medicine is a combination of peds, ob/gyn, and internal medicine (oversimplified). If you weren't to do your ob/gyn rotation ahead of time, I'd put in some serious study time devoted to just that. IMHO, there are a lot of things unique about ob/gyn that you just won't pick up elsewhere during clerkships. Also, it seemed to me that step 2 had a disproportionate number of ob/gyn questions on it, but that might have just been peculiar to my exam.