Step 2 for Anesthesiology residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a residency issue, but I thought that this post would get more exposure to anesthesiologists in this forum vs. general residency issues especially as there are attendings on here.

It seems that some programs have made a Step 2 score mandatory before ranking of applicants. All programs require passing step 2 ck before entry into their programs, but I'm curious as to what all of you think regarding advice. I know that Step 1 scores are weighed in the timing and strategy of making the decision to take the Step 2. My question is: would you take the Step 2 prior to match (let's say Dec. 2010) if you had the following Step 1 score:
1) >250
2) 230-249
3) 220-229
4) <219

Members don't see this ad.

I would base my decision on my shelf exam performance more than Step I. If you rocked your shelf exams, you will probably rock Step IICK and should probably take it, even if you did well on Step I.

In general, Step 2 is easier than Step 1. I went to a school where it was mandatory to take it early (and so everyone took it seriously). Everyone complained, but almost everyone got a higher score than on Step 1.

I'm starting CA1 in a couple weeks.

When I applied to the match, the only school that wouldn't look at my application (out of about 20, east coast and west coast without anything in the middle), only 1 school said, "No because you don't have Step 2 done." That was BU. So at the time, all the other places I was looking, which included many/most of the unofficial top 10, were fine with me not having sat the exam.

I think that UCSF changed its policy this year, and I'm sure some other schools have as well.

For me, it wasn't worth the grief of the exam for 1 place I wasn't that into. But I'd suggest looking at the places you'd like to end up, and seeing how much not having Step 2 hurts.

In terms of your original question, based on the competitiveness of anesthesia, I'd take Step 2 before applications if my step 1 score was less than ~220 and I felt I could do better on it than step 1. If my step 1 score was >~240, I'd definitely let it ride, unless there was a program that needed step 2 that I was super into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would base my decision on my shelf exam performance more than Step I. If you rocked your shelf exams, you will probably rock Step IICK and should probably take it, even if you did well on Step I.

In general, Step 2 is easier than Step 1. I went to a school where it was mandatory to take it early (and so everyone took it seriously). Everyone complained, but almost everyone got a higher score than on Step 1.

I rocked Step 1, but I have not rocked the shelf exams...pretty much low-mid 80s. I study really hard, do questions, read lots...just can't break the 90 threshold on them. What's the general kind of trend with shelf scores and step 2...70->220, 80->235, 90->250?

I'm starting CA1 in a couple weeks.

When I applied to the match, the only school that wouldn't look at my application (out of about 20, east coast and west coast without anything in the middle), only 1 school said, "No because you don't have Step 2 done." That was BU. So at the time, all the other places I was looking, which included many/most of the unofficial top 10, were fine with me not having sat the exam.

I think that UCSF changed its policy this year, and I'm sure some other schools have as well.

For me, it wasn't worth the grief of the exam for 1 place I wasn't that into. But I'd suggest looking at the places you'd like to end up, and seeing how much not having Step 2 hurts.

In terms of your original question, based on the competitiveness of anesthesia, I'd take Step 2 before applications if my step 1 score was less than ~220 and I felt I could do better on it than step 1. If my step 1 score was >~240, I'd definitely let it ride, unless there was a program that needed step 2 that I was super into.

Hey, thank you for sharing this advice! I did see the UCSF thing which was kind of a downer, but I guess I just won't apply there. I have serious reservations about my ability to do as well on the Step 2 as the Step 1. I put in a HUGE effort for the Step 1, and there will not be nearly as much time to study for the Step 2. So, I'm leaning towards taking it in 2011.