USMLE Step 2 in 12 days, just bombed NBME 4!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent this morning doing the free Fred/131 and scored 84%. I then decided to take NBME 4 right after. I spent the next 4-5 hours doing NBME 4 and was shocked at the 420 score at the end! 74% in UWorld, 228 UWSA (before I started studying).

I've got some small gaps in knowledge here and there that I'm working on but this is unnerving. I can delay Step 2 CK by like a month or so if needed. Maybe I should just wait and take the other NBME's fresh in the morning?

Members don't see this ad.

I spent this morning doing the free Fred/131 and scored 84%. I then decided to take NBME 4 right after. I spent the next 4-5 hours doing NBME 4 and was shocked at the 420 score at the end! 74% in UWorld, 228 UWSA (before I started studying).

I've got some small gaps in knowledge here and there that I'm working on but this is unnerving. I can delay Step 2 CK by like a month or so if needed. Maybe I should just wait and take the other NBME's fresh in the morning?

NBME4 and 6 are both weird. I got more wrong on NBME 7 than on both of those and scored 10 points higher on 7. So in short, use NBME 7 as a guide. It's newer and the curve is obviously different.

NBME4 and 6 are both weird. I got more wrong on NBME 7 than on both of those and scored 10 points higher on 7. So in short, use NBME 7 as a guide. It's newer and the curve is obviously different.
honestly, It's too expensive for people who aren't in the medical schools in america. I wish I could use it :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, NBME 7 isnt accurate for everyone. If you're lower in scores (220-240) it underpredicts a lot... ex. for me it underestimated by 24. (Don't necessarily expect yourself to go up by the same)

I don't think my problem has been knowledge-based. The minor things I'm still lacking on is nothing compared to just my reading... I get a bit anxious and miss key phrases/words in the case. The most frustrating thing is going back and realizing I knew 75% of the ones I missed like the back of my hand. Anxiety vs ADD causing anxiety lol.

Just killed Form 3... I realize it's old, but I'm working on my ethic. 560/250. Now back to taking notes on a few things. I'll be happy with 235-245.

Not sure what you mean by this. The costs for exam prep are essentially negligible relative to what impact these Steps have on our careers.
oh, i don;t know why it is posted here, I was referencing this to up to date. I really wanted to use it. But, I saw that there isn't a 6 month subscription i could use.

Just killed Form 3... I realize it's old, but I'm working on my ethic. 560/250. Now back to taking notes on a few things. I'll be happy with 235-245.

I wouldn't dwell on it too much. Personally I felt like the Free 131 was more like the questions that I encountered during step 2 in terms of difficulty and vague nature. That could just be me though.