step 2 requirement for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyk33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what happens if you DON'T take step 2 before match? or at least by oct 15? my school does not require that we take step 2 (as a matter of fact, they advise us not to take it until the second half of 4th year when match is over) and i may not have time to prepare for it. thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not take step 2 until January. It's easy to get an extension. Two other people from my school got similar extensions. According to the HPSP handbook all you have to do is request the extension BEFORE the 15 Oct deadline and have a "valid reason" from your dean. If you just the deadline pass they will put you on LOA until you send in passing scores, but will be retroactively reimbursed once you do so.

I'd love to get an extension on my step 2's. There's only one thing that concerns me though. If applying to a competitive field, will it hurt your fygme application if you don't have your step 2 scores in while other applicants do?