Step 2 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching but have been coming up empty.

It seems like many people report an increase in score from Step 1 to Step 2. This seems like it is almost a given from what I hear.

What is the general consensus on how much you can expect to increase if you have been doing well throughout third year with good to great shelf test scores (80s and 90s for percentiles) and a solid 2-4 weeks of test prep before Step 2?

What have the average Step 2 scores been recently?
When I took Step 1 a year ago the average that was listed on my score report was something like 217. Is the Step 2 average much different?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well let me begin by saying the mean Step II score was 221, at least on my score report which I recieved last week. As far as improving on Step I score, although most people claim to have done so, the reality is that it is tough. The reason being that you are so consumed by the application process and rotations and senioritis that it becomes very difficult to put the same effort and energy into preparation for the exam, especially if you take it later. Does that mean it can't be done or has not happened? No. Just that it is not a given, as nothing else is in medical school.

i agree with goooooober.
i had 3 weeks to study for it after the interview season. my score dropped a lot from my step 1 score, but that is because i wasn't studying very much for it. interviews and the application process totally burn you out. plus, when you take it so late, you've forgotten a lot of stuff too.
i would recommend taking the exam earlier in the 4th year and before the interview season.