Step 2 Study Guides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JML MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is so much stuff about Step 1 study advice but little regarding Step 2, so I thought I'd be nice to have a central thread with step 2 advice. So, please post your tips and advice for studying for Step 2 here.

Here are my personal recommendations for Step 2. While this is what worked for me (or what I wish I had done), it will not work for everyone. So, take the following for what it's worth and remember to always do what works best for you....

This exam is generally less difficult than Step 1, not because the questions are easier (they're not, and the exam is one hour longer) but because you are so much more familiar with the material. Rather than just learning some biochem equation for a test, for step 2 you are tested on stuff you've likely seen in your patients and thus have a better, more real-world grasp on. Generally, most people do better on Step 2. A few of my classmates made the mistake of taking the exam too lightly by barely studying and didn't pass.

Failing step 2 is a bad thing (but certainly not the end of the world). In general, residency program directors value Step 2 MUCH more than Step 1 because, let's face it, how you do on Step 2 correlates with how strong your clinical knowledge base is while how well you on Step 1 simply correlates with how well you know the Krebs cycle (and in residency no one cares about that). The reason that Step 1 is such a big deal though is that very few people have a Step 2 score available by the time they apply to residency, and therefore Step 1 is the only standardized measuring stick these programs have to compare applicants.

When to take Step 2 is wholly a matter of personal opinion. You can virtually take it any day after you pass Step 1. Almost everyone waits till 4th year though. For taking Step 2 during the 4th year, here are a few brief general strategies...
A) Taking it before you apply to residency: generally only done by people who are afraid that their Step 1 score is not good enough to get them an interview. If you have a good Step 1 score, you may decide to wait rather than risk getting a low score (remember that Step 2 is weighed more than Step 1!). Definitely a good option though if you want to do something competitive and got a less-than-desirable Step 1 score. Another advantage to this option is to just get it out of the way with and not have it looming over your head the entire year. A final advantage to taking it early is that a lot of the material tested is still fresh in your head from 3rd year. The main risk is doing worse.
B) Taking it before the rank lists are turned it: the most common route. Some programs (more common in primary care) like to see that you at least passed Step 2 before they will rank you... you'll have to ask the program if unsure or they may just tell you. If you're a competitive enough applicant to get an interview (almost all of you), then doing well on Step 2 can only enhance your application. Often people will take the exam shortly after their medicine or neurology AI as most of Step 2 is medicine and medicine subspecialities and they "kill 2 birds with one stone" by studying for the shelf. Also, by not waiting until the end of 4th year, you'll get this obstacle behind you. As with option A, the main risk is doing worse or failing as this can hurt your application quite a bit.
C) Taking it after rank lists are due: generally, this option is done by people who do really well on Step 1 and apply to highly competitive programs (Optho, Derm, Rad Onc, Rad, etc...) and don't want to run the risk of doing worse on Step 2 and thus hurting their application. Disadvantage is that it looms over you the entire year and most people are not motivated to study 2 months before graduation.
Overall, there really is no wrong way to schedule Step 2.

Studying for Step 2... these books and study tools are only a matter of personal opinion (mine and several of my classmates). Do what works best for you. I can't speak to the clinical skill exam as my class was the last not to have to take it. Regarding the computerized exam however, the tools I liked the best are:
1. Step 2 Secrets by Brochert: this book is the bible for Step 2. I would definitely read this at least once.
2. Kaplan Q bank: by far the best question bank out there... uses same computer program as USMLE and very similar questions... as accurate a representation as you can get without taking the exam itself.

-- I think that these 2 tools alone are enough to do reasonably well on Step 2 as long as you worked relatively hard during 3rd year and did well OK on your shelf exams --

3. NMS Question Book: if you don't do or can't afford Q-bank, this is the next best question source out there.
4. Boards and Wards: a great book to use throughout your clinical rotations. Lots of good high yield info if you want another text besides Step 2 Secrets and Q-bank/NMS Question book.
5. Crush the Boards: also by Brochert, and it's pretty much the exact same info as in Step 2 Secrets just in a different format with a few extra pictures. I would not do both Step 2 Secrets and this.
6. USMLE Step 2 Mock Exam by Brochert: Again, the same author as Step 2 Secrets and Crush the Boards... he pretty much takes the info in Secrets/Crush and organizes it into formal test questions. Very redundant if you do Secrets or Crush... and the questions are not as good as those in NMS or Q-bank.
7. First Aid: lots of high yield stuff... if you don't like questions I would do this along with Step 2 Secrets or if you wanted another supplement to Secrets and Q bank but don't like Boards and Wards.
8. Rx for the Boards: another good book, but redundant if you do Secrets and a good question book. I'd pick this if I wanted another supplement to Step 2 Secrets and Q bank but didn't like Boards and Wards or First Aid.
9. Various Pre-tests: do maybe one or two of these only if after some initial studying you find that you are really weak in a certain area. If I were going to pick one, I'd probably do the Medicine one as the exam is so heavy in medicine, or maybe do the one in the subject you started 3rd year with as it will likely have been at least a year since you'd studied anything in that field.

There are a vast amount of resources out there, but these are the most popular. Don't over do it, 2 good weeks or 4 weeks of just an hour or two or three should be more than enough for most people to pass. If you need to study a lot do to well on exams or failed Step 1, do more than just Step 2 Secrets and Q bank. If you need to study less, do Step 2 Secrets and just some of Q bank. If you fail Step 2, rather than re-doing review books, I'd do the question set you didn't do (either NMS or Q bank) and I'd do some Pre-Tests in the areas you were weakest.

I hope this helps. Best of luck on the exam! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW AWESOME YOUR ADVICE IS !?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks dude/dudette!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Hey all....

Just wanted to keep this fantastic thread going.....

It would be great if people could tell how they prepared for Step 2 and what sources they used to study, how long they studies, etc....

Also (AND THIS IS OPTIONAL) what their score on step 2 was....

Still waiting to take my step 2....that reminds me....I have a question:

I plan on taking Step 2 early since I did not perform as well on Step 1 and want to go into a good IM program....I want the PDs to have access to my step 2 scores when they are viewing my files...Since I am quite unfamiliar with these procedures, WHEN IS IT RECOMMENDED THAT I TAKE STEP 2!?!?

I am guessing around October....right? wrong? Advice? :confused: :confused:

Hmmm... I heard that if you wanted them in, take them by September? Could be wrong...

Thanks so much for the advice! I was wondering the same thing as medlaw, my plan was to take it around the first week of Oct. Is that too late? I'm an IMG, not sure if that makes a difference.

Medlaw06 and Echelon (and anyone else), here is my answer to your question for what it's worth...

If I was unhappy with my Step 1 score and wanted program directors to have it in hand when viewing my file, I would take it no later than the end of August.

Generally, the applications to ERAS can be submitted in the first week of September (do get your application in ASAP!!!) and programs begin reviewing applications any time from that first day to the first month or so. Different programs and different specialties differ when they review files and offer interviews. Typically primary care fields review applications sooner and offer interviews sooner than the specialities; my friends in primary care recieved interview offers within the first week of submitting applications while friends doing specialities like Rad Onc and Optho generally didn't even recieve an interview until October after the dean's letters were submitted. However, no matter what field, the more competitive the program, the higher the USMLE score you'll need to get considered for an interview.

So, if you did bad on Step 1 and apply to and Internal Med program, they may have already filled most of their interview spots by October. If you wait till Oct to take Step 2, it'll be almost Novermber (3 week turn-around time on the scores) until they see your improved Step 2 score, and that may be too late. If you do want to give yourself the best possible chance, you should do everything you can to be sure that they have your scores by the time they review your application (which is within the 1st week or 2 of submitting your application). Depending on your score and programs you apply to, waiting until it's too late can cost you an interview.

Of course, August is really soon, and you still have to register and schedule the exam and study... so that may not be possible. I would take it as soon as it is possible though if you are that concerned with your scores. Directors will be reviewing your application in september! Remember that the score is important, especially if applying to competitive fields and programs. Nonetheless, it is not everything, and your personal statement, letters of recommendation (which you should be asking for by now b/c attendings get bombarded with them and take a long time to do them), your grades on rotations, and even extracurriculars can go a long way and even overshadow a poor score. Plus, do you really want to be somewhere that only looks at that one score above all else?? I mean, is that really who you are?? Probably not.

Now, programs generally require IMGs to have higher scores than american grads, so if I had been an IMG, I'd do everything in my power to have Step 2 in by the time I submit my application (and I'd get my application in ASAP). Fair or not, IMGs are at a disadvantage compared to american grads and thus must prove themselves moreso.

On the other hand, if your score was just OK, and you are comfortable that you'll get interviews but feel you need improve your chances of being ranked highy by showing that the Step 1 score was not a true reflection of yourself, then just take it before mid January so that the programs will have your Step 2 a few weeks before they rank you. While it's true that most rank lists are due the end of February, most programs have completed their rank lists a week or two or more before.

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let me know if I can be of anymore help. I just went through all this last year, and like 3rd and 4th year of med school, there's some "gamesmanship" to the process. There is a very specific strategy to applying to residencies that many students either never figure out or realize too late. Scheduling Step 2 is a small but important part of that strategy.

PS -- don't delay on your personal statements.... they are hard to write and you need to have them proofread, which take some considerable time... they are the #1 reason people delay turning in their applications and if you have a low Step 1 score that delay may hurt you.

JML MD said:
PS -- don't delay on your personal statements.... they are hard to write and you need to have them proofread, which take some considerable time... they are the #1 reason people delay turning in their applications and if you have a low Step 1 score that delay may hurt you.

From my own experience this year and speaking to people in the class above mine, it's the letters of rec which will delay your application. You can write a personal statement in a day and have it proofread and edited within a week, easily. However, once you ask for letters, you're at the mercy of your letter writer's free time. People have said the key is to ask for letters at least a month in advance of when you want your app to be finished.

Thank you JMD MD, I really appreciate you taking the time out to advise us. I just took my Step 1 a week ago, and although I had set my goal above a 90 since I don't have too much else going for me (no clerkships in the states etc), I really have no idea if i'll score anywhere near that. I really should have taken it a lot earlier and hope the delays don't end up being costly. Anyhow, just to be safe I'll apply for the step 2 block that starts in Sept, get started on my personal statement etc, and proceed further based on what my step 1 score is. Thanks again :)

medlaw06 said:
I plan on taking Step 2 early since I did not perform as well on Step 1 and want to go into a good IM program....I want the PDs to have access to my step 2 scores when they are viewing my files...Since I am quite unfamiliar with these procedures, WHEN IS IT RECOMMENDED THAT I TAKE STEP 2!?!?
I also wanted to take Step 2 early because my Step 1 score wasn't that great. I also ended 3rd year with Medicine, so I decided that studying for the medicine shelf was going to be a huge chunk of studying for Step 2. I'm taking it next week. I took a week completely off and gave myself 2 weeks to study.

Just studying this feels completely different. It actually feels like a review, whereas studying for Step 1 felt like I had to relearn everything.

Jaded Soul said:
From my own experience this year and speaking to people in the class above mine, it's the letters of rec which will delay your application. You can write a personal statement in a day and have it proofread and edited within a week, easily. However, once you ask for letters, you're at the mercy of your letter writer's free time. People have said the key is to ask for letters at least a month in advance of when you want your app to be finished.

Jaded, you're 100 % correct in that asking for letters late will dely your application from being complete. However, you can still submit your application for programs to view, and they can grant you interviews, without having all your letters in. On the other hand, you cannot submit your application without having your personal statement finished. Plus, as program directors at a large number of institutions across the country view the personal statement as the one of the top 2 or 3 most important parts of the application (some even say it's the most important), I certaintly hope you put a significant effort into constructing a PS that is very well written AND interesting/unique (directors read a lot of these, so yours needs to stand out). To error on the side of caution though, you should prepare the PS AND ask for letters of rec early on. If your in the application process, best of luck!

I recently began a thread in the General Residency Issues Forum that has TONS of helpful links to aid you with your application, interview, and match. Since there seems to be a lot of 4th years (or soon to be 4th years) reading this thread who might benefit, I thought I'd add a link here. You can check it out by clicking below:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=136528

JML FOR PREZ!! JML FOR PREZ!!!

well...atleast VICE-PREZ!!
:D :D

thanks for all your help on this thread and the one you left in surgery...

us 3rd/4th years really need people like you to guide us....

thanks

Hi DrJML,

I am in a bit of a tricky spot, thought you might have some insight. Might be some other people out there in my situation, and it doesn't quite fit into the outline in your first post.

I did well on Step1, but got some lackluster P's throughtout 3rd year. Want to spruce up my applications with a Step2 score.

Of course my worry is that a lesser Step2 grade will override my Step1 score. And a that a good score won't add anything, from a certain perspective.

In my school the 3rd year grades were limited by your shelf scores. I tended to run around on the floors with the intern, sacrificing study time and energy, and never really gave the shelf exams enough attention. I just got caught up in things on the floors. Since the shelf exams are probably the closest thing to Step2, shouldn't Step2 be the best shot at redemption for iffy 3rd year grades?

I've heard time and again that an early Step2 usually serves to redeem a low Step1 score. By this logic, I'm just taking a serious risk for no possible gain, since I might not be able to match my Step1 score.

What do you think?