Step II Step 2 without OB

Started by Didntdoit
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Didntdoit

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are your thoughts on taking Step 2 CK without OB?

I have a 225 on Step 1 with OB dragging me down considerably and am going IM, Neuro, or Psych.

I hate, hate, hate OB and am trying to delay it until the end of my fourth year.
 
My opinion is to turn ob from weakness into a strength at least from a testing perspective. Although as a field it is broad as a med student testing topic it is well circumscribed set of knowledge. Read blueprints do pretest then do the UWorld ob section all in a row x2 if necessary and you will master the info needed to do well on the shelf and step 2.
 
I'm taking 2CK without having gone through peds or obgyn.

I read the sections in MTB2/3, have looked at Case Files (read ~1/4 of each then jettisoned them) and have done practice questions, but they are still my weakest by a slight margin. But I really don't care about getting ~5-10 points lower like I would have for Step 1 because I just want a prelim year, so I'll just do my best to "IQ" my way through anything I don't know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guess it depends on where you learn from. I learned nothing from my school for Step 1. Had to do it all on my own. That's why I don't think the actual rotations would make much of a difference.

And also not sure why you're throwing arbitrary/misguiding figures like that. We all know everyone's test is different. Some people have practically no peds/obgyn.