Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we all know, the military requires step 2 scores for their GME application process. So, we have to take step 2's early in our fourth year of med school.

However, what's the deal with the new BS $1000 clinical skills section of the exam? Do we also have to take that before applying?

If we could take it during residency, I think it would save some cash b/c then I might be able to write it off as some sort of business expense. If I take it now, it'll be my last thousand dollars of loans and will probably end up being $2000 by the time I pay the loans off.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Sledge2005
As we all know, the military requires step 2 scores for their GME application process. So, we have to take step 2's early in our fourth year of med school.

However, what's the deal with the new BS $1000 clinical skills section of the exam? Do we also have to take that before applying?

If we could take it during residency, I think it would save some cash b/c then I might be able to write it off as some sort of business expense. If I take it now, it'll be my last thousand dollars of loans and will probably end up being $2000 by the time I pay the loans off.

they reimburse you for required boards, so i imagine they will reimburse you for the PE section as well.

the CDW is your firend :)

They do NOT reimburse you for Step 3 during internship, so if HPSP will pay for it, take that as a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, but you residents are making the big bucks compared to us HPSPers!

I asked the same question of Col. Raines when she came to our school. She said that the army will not impose a deadline for Step 2 CS this year but if you want to be reimbursed, then you will have to get your paperwork in at least 60 days before graduation because that's when reimbursements end.

Why don't they reimburse for Step 3? Bc it's not required for med school graduation?

They probably do, but I'm not sure. I forgot to ask her about that.

They definitely do not pay for step 3, I lived it. They also don't pay for your license, etc. I guess they figure, like bobbyseal said, we're paid the big bucks at that point. No book funds for residency either. Oh well, still better than civilian residency pay.

How much does that cost?