step 2ck score < step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

succinylCoA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received the score for my step2ck exam and although it is a decent score, it is a little lower than my step 1 score. My step 2ck score is 233 and my step 1 score was 245. I would welcome any opinions regarding how much of a negative impact (if any at all) my step 2ck score will have on my application since the step2ck score is 12 points lower than the step 1 score.

I am wondering if it will SEVERELY pull me down on the programs' ranking of applicants.

I have applied to and interviewed at some very highly regarded academic IM programs. I go to a middle of the road school in the US, and the rest of my application is great. (ie. letters of rec, grades, dean's letter, CV)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine. I dont think a 233 will hurt you at all!

succinylCoA said:
I recently received the score for my step2ck exam and although it is a decent score, it is a little lower than my step 1 score. My step 2ck score is 233 and my step 1 score was 245. I would welcome any opinions regarding how much of a negative impact (if any at all) my step 2ck score will have on my application since the step2ck score is 12 points lower than the step 1 score.

I am wondering if it will SEVERELY pull me down on the programs' ranking of applicants.

I have applied to and interviewed at some very highly regarded academic IM programs. I go to a middle of the road school in the US, and the rest of my application is great. (ie. letters of rec, grades, dean's letter, CV)

Thanks.

Statistically, the two scores are a tie. don't worry about it, you're in great shape.

Succinyl: I think you'll do great with those scores. They're both very respectable scores regardless of which one is lower or higher.

And now a pseudo-hijack:

Is it really a statistical tie? My situation is the opposite where I scored nearly dead-average on Step I and studied my rear off for Step II (with a 37 point difference). While I don't expect a program to divulge exactly why they decided to interview me, I've found that in my "experience", my Step I score seems to have made more of a difference in the interview offers I've received (with, admittedly, a couple of outliers). I think it is purely the difference between getting into a "read carefully" pile and a "scanned" pile of applications. Not that I'm complaining at all.

Its kind of like getting that 'T' on the writing portion of the MCAT. I think I was the only one who cared, heh. :oops:

Espion said:
Succinyl: I think you'll do great with those scores. They're both very respectable scores regardless of which one is lower or higher.

And now a pseudo-hijack:

Its kind of like getting that 'T' on the writing portion of the MCAT. I think I was the only one who cared, heh. :oops:

Well, if your CK score came after the interview invites went out, i would contact the places you didn't get invited to and point it out. I certainly care more about CK than 1 (though 1 is important also).

BKN said:
Well, if your CK score came after the interview invites went out, i would contact the places you didn't get invited to and point it out. I certainly care more about CK than 1 (though 1 is important also).

I took that sucker on July 30th and released everything all at once with my application. Having just been through a Medicine rotation for twelve weeks it didn't seem to behoove me to put it off. (And its a good thing I did, because I'm feeling a little mentally soft right about now.)

Regarding importance of step 1 vs step 2ck, i think it depends on the program. Obviously BKN is a PD and has much more experience than I do, but I have heard of a few programs weighing step 1 slight more than step 2ck.

Maybe it is because scoring higher on step 2ck is easier than scoring higher on step 1. For step 1, everyone studies a great deal and puts in maximum effort. For step 2ck, some people do not put in maximum effort for a variety of reasons. (ie. they have already matched, all they need to do is pass, deans have traditionally stressed step 1 more than step 2ck in the interview process because more applicants have step 1 available than step 2ck at interview time, etc). It seems a bit easier to do well on step 2ck and my *guess* would be that if the same applicant put in equal study time and effort into step 2ck vs step 1, the step 2ck score would be higher.

I know that some academic programs look at step 1 more than step 2ck if they are using MLE numbers to decide interviews. Of course, this might be because all applicants will have a step 1 on file but a good number will not have taken the step 2ck yet.

I guess what I am saying is that I would not be surprised to hear that step 1 is considered slightly more in determining interview invites, but I cannot provide any real facts or figures to prove it.

Another thing I would mention is that for some reason the idea has gotten around that if an applicant has done well on step 1, then he/she should wait until after match to take step 2ck or to release step 2ck results. Although I am not a PD, I strongly disagree with this and I feel that the applicant hurts his/her chances at some of the most competitive programs by not having a step 2ck on file when it comes time to rank the applicants.

Simply put, if a PD is considering multiple applicants with similar credentials, the applicant who has already taken and passed step 2ck will carry the day.

I personally know one PD of a highly reputed northeast program who used to have no problem favorably ranking applicants who had great step 1 scores and a great app but not having taken the step 2ck prior to match. Two matches ago this PD had an applicant match prior to taking step 2ck and then the applicant really lost motivation and tried to "wing" the step 2ck in April of fourth year of med school. This applicant failed the step 2ck by 1 tiny point (181) and had to retake the step 2ck with the passing score being received during the week of intern orientation. Now this PD still ranks applicants who havent taken step 2ck yet, but the PD now pauses to consider more favorably ranking otherwise weaker applicants who already have a passing step 2ck score on file.

It is much better for you to have a passing step 2ck score on file prior to match if at all possible. It will make you more competitive.

succinylCoA said:

Thanks.

Hmm, this sounds oh-so-familiar...

A buddy of mine called me while working out at "Bally Fitness" to tell me practically the same thing.

Chill, it won't make a difference. :horns: