Step 2CS 4/25/18 Score Release Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for over 1.5 months and still have a month to go. Felt terrible coming out of the test and even worse with this long wait period. I literally can not afford to fail this thing. I’m sure others are finding the wait similarly nerve wracking so I figured it would be a good idea make a thread. If I indeed pass, I’m going to create a comprehensive guide to Step 2 CS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to everyone for their success. I am an IMG took my first attempt at philly on 02/23/18 and received FAIL CS score report yesterday. This feeling sucks .

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I took it recently in Philly as well. I'm a US-IMG and I remember I was usually always the last person out of the room except for like 1-2 encounters. I know I made many mistakes and the thought of failing CS terrifies me. The thing is, I didn't feel horrible or even great when I left, I had mixed feelings. The day just went by so quick I barely had time to think. How did you prep? Do you think you made a lot of mistakes? I know it's getting tough for us IMGs, they recently raised the passing criteria and will fail about 8% more IMGs. The test is clearly not about knowing English well and having basic communication skills.

I'm slightly nervous because most of the people taking the exam with me were all AMGs. Everyone seemed to be having a great time, laughing, smiling, and finishing encounters super early. I was trying to stay calm but the difference between AMGs and IMGs was noticeable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone for their success. I am an IMG took my first attempt at philly on 02/23/18 and received FAIL CS score report yesterday. This feeling sucks .
i am so sorry to hear about it.. which section did you fail?

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I took it recently in Philly as well. I'm a US-IMG and I remember I was usually always the last person out of the room except for like 1-2 encounters. I know I made many mistakes and the thought of failing CS terrifies me. The thing is, I didn't feel horrible or even great when I left, I had mixed feelings. The day just went by so quick I barely had time to think. How did you prep? Do you think you made a lot of mistakes? I know it's getting tough for us IMGs, they recently raised the passing criteria and will fail about 8% more IMGs. The test is clearly not about knowing English well and having basic communication skills.

I'm slightly nervous because most of the people taking the exam with me were all AMGs. Everyone seemed to be having a great time, laughing, smiling, and finishing encounters super early. I was trying to stay calm but the difference between AMGs and IMGs was noticeable.

Don’t worry . I flunked in SEP part . Being an IMG from other country ,I realise that speaking English in their accent is equally important criterion to clear this exam. I was at extreme right end for other two sections in the feedback but no help.

@schl I'm sorry to hear about that. The reason why they fail people seems to be random. How is it possible that you got the right diagnosis and were nice to patients and still they fail you in SEP?

Did you have to repeat yourself many times so they could understand you?
What do you think that could have happened?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I failed both SEP and CIS, I took mine in Philly, but to be honest It wasn’t a surprise since I performed poorly. Now, I’m clueless if I should take it again, because I already have red flags and I’m not sure if it would be worthy to spend more money and ending up without interviews/matching anyway.

Don’t worry . I flunked in SEP part . Being an IMG from other country ,I realise that speaking English in their accent is equally important criterion to clear this exam. I was at extreme right end for other two sections in the feedback but no help.

I'm truly sorry to hear about that and I just don't understand, as others have mentioned above, how it is possible to fail SEP but pass CIS.

I'm truly sorry to hear about that and I just don't understand, as others have mentioned above, how it is possible to fail SEP but pass CIS.

Attachments

• 1D88C33F-90D8-4CA8-9BBC-0FCF65C5EF16.png
    1D88C33F-90D8-4CA8-9BBC-0FCF65C5EF16.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 315
Members don't see this ad :)
@schl I'm sorry to hear about that. The reason why they fail people seems to be random. How is it possible that you got the right diagnosis and were nice to patients and still they fail you in SEP?

Did you have to repeat yourself many times so they could understand you?
What do you think that could have happened?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• A581535F-C522-42E6-9858-8390235C10DF.png
    A581535F-C522-42E6-9858-8390235C10DF.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 168

That’s why I was bewildered with my results. May be all of them dint understand my accent or god knows what . Now, results are out and despite scoring 246 in step 1 and Ck , road ahead seems to be darker for me

I failed both SEP and CIS, I took mine in Philly, but to be honest It wasn’t a surprise since I performed poorly. Now, I’m clueless if I should take it again, because I already have red flags and I’m not sure if it would be worthy to spend more money and ending up without interviews/matching anyway.

I am really sorry to hear that and I can relate with your stress . When did you appear at philly .

Hi. Im very sorry for that. Do you mind telling me how was your feeling during the exam? Could u understand patients? Do they ask u to repeat?
I was tensed during my exam. Yup, I was able to understand them. They ask me to repeat a few times . That ‘s it and they failed me . I shouldn’t say this but This exam is BS and deciding someone’s future on the basis of subjective assessment by native Patients doesn’t seem to be ideal.

It doesn't make much sense... You got the right diagnoses, probably great PN, so it means you understood them (and they understood you) and gathered the right info..:/

Here’s my score report that has turned my life upside down.

Attachments

• C6C718B7-1194-47ED-9DF8-692D0E2C74A7.png
    C6C718B7-1194-47ED-9DF8-692D0E2C74A7.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 258
I am really sorry to hear that and I can relate with your stress . When did you appear at philly .
I took mine at the middle of March. I understand what you’re going through. This was my first fail in USMLE after successfully passing Step 1 and CK, right now I just don’t know how to proceed.

Hang in there my friend.. I was also failed in my first attempt, philly, CIS!! My english is far from perfect but they gave me high marks in sep. Now I'm waiting the results from my second attempt in houston, panicking! This exam isnt fair! I wonder if they will manage to fail me after my hard study and preparation while doing my residency back in europe, spending money that i dont have and using holidays that I will not enjoy because of this. Not mentioning the high burden of stress that i put myself through and those around me. The exam should continue but it needs tk be more objective!

Hang in there my friend.. I was also failed in my first attempt, philly, CIS!! My english is far from perfect but they gave me high marks in sep. Now I'm waiting the results from my second attempt in houston, panicking! This exam isnt fair! I wonder if they will manage to fail me after my hard study and preparation while doing my residency back in europe, spending money that i dont have and using holidays that I will not enjoy because of this. Not mentioning the high burden of stress that i put myself through and those around me. The exam should continue but it needs tk be more objective!
if you worked hard and put effort sought help. you will pass. i failed my ICE then gave it again worked seriously hard didn't sleep for 3 weeks and got rid of this stupid exam. and thankGod i passed the next time. i can relate with the stress of waiting for scores when you have given it second time.. good luck. .

it looks like you spoke in some alien language with them.. crazy people seriously . i have seen people fail and get residency easily.. keep your hopes high pass it the next time. dont worry soon you will forget about this horror story. work hard try to memorize your dialouges watch movies copy accent just in case. and slay the dragon.. take a week to get hold of this bad news. then go for it.. you have good chances to match with good scores. did you pass ice? i dont know how many stars are required to pass ice..i failed my.ice on first attempt and passed the next time. go for it and dont stresd yourself . accept and move on .

it looks like you spoke in some alien language with them.. crazy people seriously . i have seen people fail and get residency easily.. keep your hopes high pass it the next time. dont worry soon you will forget about this horror story. work hard try to memorize your dialouges watch movies copy accent just in case. and slay the dragon.. take a week to get hold of this bad news. then go for it.. you have good chances to match with good scores. did you pass ice? i dont know how many stars are required to pass ice..i failed my.ice on first attempt and passed the next time. go for it and dont stresd yourself . accept and move on .

What did you do the second time around?

1st attempt 2016 philly - - > cis fail
2nd attempt 2018 houston - - > ice fail by a star
3rd attempt 2018 - - > should I even care?

Cant understand why I passed ice in my first attempt with 3 weeks of study and now with almost 3 months they failed me in ice ahah

Is anyone else still waiting for their permit to disappear and waiting on a score? Took my exam 2/26 and am extremely nervous about it.

I received a failing score for my USMLE Step 2 CS exam on March 15, 2018 in LA this morning at 11:00 AM EST. I failed the ICE component and it seems like I failed by 1 star. There were 6 stars in the borderline performance area, 1 star in the higher performance area and 8 stars in the lower performance area. I ordered a rescore immediately.

Do any of you think that I have a good chance off passing considering my borderline performance on the exam?

I received a failing score for my USMLE Step 2 CS exam on March 15, 2018 in LA this morning at 11:00 AM EST. I failed the ICE component and it seems like I failed by 1 star. There were 6 stars in the borderline performance area, 1 star in the higher performance area and 8 stars in the lower performance area. I ordered a rescore immediately.

Do any of you think that I have a good chance off passing considering my borderline performance on the exam?

I’m really sorry to hear that... what do you think it went wrong? Patient notes, DDX, PE?

I’m really sorry to hear that... what do you think it went wrong? Patient notes, DDX, PE?
I have no idea. I practiced a couple days a week for over a month. My best guess would be probably the patient notes. I type really fast and I’m probably losing points because I’m including insignificant information. Hopefully, a rescore would produce favorable results...I’m not holding my breath though.

I have no idea. I practiced a couple days a week for over a month. My best guess would be probably the patient notes. I type really fast and I’m probably losing points because I’m including insignificant information. Hopefully, a rescore would produce favorable results...I’m not holding my breath though.

Oh, that’s really sad.. I’d imagine typing fast would be good for you:/
Yes, order a rescore check.. they could’ve missed smth. At least try;) Best of luck!

What did you do the second time around?
passed!! this time i scored high performance in all .. ice 3 stars in borderline. thanksGod i am done with this stupid exam..
last time i had 8 stars in lower side in ICE

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

i am sorry to hear about what you are going through. i was in that boat few months back in feb.
try to focus on your patient notes make them perfect write every detail and denies in HPI> like
onset, progression, duration ,frequency, associated, aggravated and relieving factors... etc
best of luck
use this link for your notes..
Karine Darbinyan

i am sorry to hear about what you are going through. i was in that boat few months back in feb.
try to focus on your patient notes make them perfect write every detail and denies in HPI> like
onset, progression, duration ,frequency, associated, aggravated and relieving factors... etc
best of luck
use this link for your notes..

Thanks!

I'm definitely planning on perfecting my patient notes to prevent this from happening again in the future...

I originally took mine in ATL 5/10/18 and failed after extensive prep and study with a partner who passed. I just retook it in Philly. I am terrified I failed again, I forgot to wash my hands on one person (did CVA tenderness) then remembered and washed them. Where did you retake and did you pass?

hey..
i am in the same boat seriously freaking out and rests like a maniac :( .. it was my second attempt. worked really hard this time and even then made so many stupid mistakes..i cannot afford to fail again, my life is done if i failed :( ..

I saw you passed finally. Congrats! I originally took mine in ATL in May, and failed the ICE portion. Most demoralizing month of my life. I just retook it again yesterday and am going crazy in my head of mistakes I made and am terrified I failed it again. My main mistake - I started a PE without washing my hands(CVA tenderness), subsequently remembered, washed them, and continued on. Do you know of anyone this has happened to that still passed?

I saw you passed finally. Congrats! I originally took mine in ATL in May, and failed the ICE portion. Most demoralizing month of my life. I just retook it again yesterday and am going crazy in my head of mistakes I made and am terrified I failed it again. My main mistake - I started a PE without washing my hands(CVA tenderness), subsequently remembered, washed them, and continued on. Do you know of anyone this has happened to that still passed?
I didnt wash my hands in one encounter and remembered that at the end of PE and appoligized about it and passed with high performance dont worry

yes this is a minor mistake.. i forgot cranial nerves on a cns case lol.. dont worry you will pass this.time.. best wishes.
i was away as i gave my step3 today totally freaking out i just hope i pass

I originally took mine in ATL 5/10/18 and failed after extensive prep and study with a partner who passed. I just retook it in Philly. I am terrified I failed again, I forgot to wash my hands on one person (did CVA tenderness) then remembered and washed them. Where did you retake and did you pass?
Can you think of what mistakes you made ? Quite positive I failed ICE as well

passed!! this time i scored high performance in all .. ice 3 stars in borderline. thanksGod i am done with this stupid exam..
last time i had 8 stars in lower side in ICE
Can you think of what mistakes you made the first time ? Quite positive I failed ICE as well. Made so many mistakes

Congrats on passing everyone! And Good luck to those waiting for the result!

Now I have a question. In some of the cases e.g. CVS case or orthostatic hypotension case, FA says to check blood pressure on both arms or take orthostatic vital signs. Are we supposed to do that in the real exam (in the relevant cases only ofcourse)?

Congrats on passing everyone! And Good luck to those waiting for the result!

Now I have a question. In some of the cases e.g. CVS case or orthostatic hypotension case, FA says to check blood pressure on both arms or take orthostatic vital signs. Are we supposed to do that in the real exam (in the relevant cases only ofcourse)?

This is a scenario I was unsure of too for the exam. Personally speaking and also in regards to the timing constraints of the test, taking blood pressure of both arms will be time consuming. You don’t need to retake vitals because you need to dedicate the time to do a full history. You may be able to deduce that dx based on other factors of the physical exam perhaps, for example dizziness or medication hx. However, this is just my personal opinion. If you have any further questions, feel free to message me.

I PASSSED

Reactions: 1 users
My exam is in Philadelphia next week. I'm a Canadian IMG. Reading about all these horrible experiences at that center is scaring me. Should I reschedule to a different center?