Step 3 as a 4th year, questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I was thinking about taking step 3 during my fourth year. I am (hopefully) going into a Pediatric Intern year, so I'm not sure how much my Intern rotations will actually prepare me for this test, and I've generally needed some dedicated study time before taking the steps (more than my classmates). So my questions:

1) Is this a good idea? Did anyone take this test as a 4th year?

2) How much prep time is a good idea

3) What books would you recommend?

4) What QBanks?

5) Are there any good practice tests? Does the NBME actually predict your score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alright, so I was thinking about taking step 3 during my fourth year.

1) Is this a good idea? Did anyone take this test as a 4th year?

1) It is not a good idea, mostly because you must have a medical degree (MD/DO) before you can take it. Many states require at least one year of internship (some even require 2) before you can take it. I took it in the state of Pennsylvania, and they wanted my program director's signature before issuing me my permit.

1) It is not a good idea, mostly because you must have a medical degree (MD/DO) before you can take it. Many states require at least one year of internship (some even require 2) before you can take it. I took it in the state of Pennsylvania, and they wanted my program director's signature before issuing me my permit.

Assuming I can register (there is a work around, or so I'm told) is it a good idea? From a education perspective? Did you feel llike you learned a lot in Intern year that was relevant to the test? Or would some dedicated 4th year study time be enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming I can register (there is a work around, or so I'm told) is it a good idea? From a education perspective? Did you feel llike you learned a lot in Intern year that was relevant to the test? Or would some dedicated 4th year study time be enough?

What's the workaround?

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_faq.html#q04

Can I apply before medical school graduation or issuance of my ECFMG certificate or Fifth Pathway certificate?

No. As part of the USMLE requirements to take the Step 3, you should apply only after the date of graduation on your medical school diploma or the issue date of your ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate. (Recent medical school graduates can take up to six weeks to verify degrees before approval for Step 3).

If you submit a Step 3 application prior to graduation from medical school or issuance of the ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate your application will be cancelled and a portion of your fees forfeited.

As tkim said, there's really no workaround. You might be able to register the day after you graduate, and then be willing to wait the ~6 weeks it takes to get a scheduling permit, but that just seems silly.

I barely studied for it; as a family medicine resident, it was basically a reflection of the types of patients I saw every day. But, I honestly don't think it's a good idea for anyone take it so early in intern year. In order to do that, you have to rush and try and study for it while you're trying to acclimate to intern year, which is stressful and unnecessary. Focus on being a good intern for the first few months; then, when you're feeling pretty stable in your daily routine, focus on studying for Step 3 later.

Honestly, a couple of months of doing a few blocks of UWorld questions 4-5 times a week would be enough. This is not a particularly difficult test with a lot of details.

This has been on my mind for awhile. All my residents tell me they should have taken step 3 earlier before they forget everything but what's in their specialty.

I'm aiming to go into a surgical subspecialty, so I'm thinking I will try and take step 3 the earliest it lets me sign up after I can sign on after graduation before I forget what a uterus is.

I have 3 questions: 1) Has anyone taken it in the earlier in their intern year or right before? Was there any benefit to taking it earlier in your mind? (state I will be in allows it)
2) What resources should I use? I've heard crush is weesh, and world is still good, but other than that I don't know about any of them.
3) If I have step 3, can I then moonlight/prescribe?

Thanks!

This has been on my mind for awhile. All my residents tell me they should have taken step 3 earlier before they forget everything but what's in their specialty.

I'm aiming to go into a surgical subspecialty, so I'm thinking I will try and take step 3 the earliest it lets me sign up after I can sign on after graduation before I forget what a uterus is.

I have 3 questions: 1) Has anyone taken it in the earlier in their intern year or right before? Was there any benefit to taking it earlier in your mind? (state I will be in allows it)
2) What resources should I use? I've heard crush is weesh, and world is still good, but other than that I don't know about any of them.
3) If I have step 3, can I then moonlight/prescribe?

Thanks!

Crush should be fine, though the FA isn't bad as well. Passing step 3 allows you to apply for a state license, which is what you need to apply for a DEA license, which is what you need to moonlight, which you will need permission from your program to do.

Licenses costs about a grand total, give or take. Worth it if you can moonlight.

Crush should be fine, though the FA isn't bad as well. Passing step 3 allows you to apply for a state license, which is what you need to apply for a DEA license, which is what you need to moonlight, which you will need permission from your program to do.

Licenses costs about a grand total, give or take. Worth it if you can moonlight.

Very cool. Thanks for simplifying that down for me.