STEP 3: First Aid or Crush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GummyD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to do well on STEP 3 because I want to do a fellowship after residency.
I heard that USMLE questions were money so I plan on using that.
Just trying to figure out which text to supplement it with.

I heard that both FA and Crush were good, just subtle differences maybe?

Someone said that FA for STEP 3 is very similar to the one for STEP 2.
Is this true? If so, then maybe I should just review my old FA for STEP 2.

What about Crush?

Feel free to let me know your opinions on the texts.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, they are both terrible sources. You might as well complete the First Aid Step 2 CK review book instead of the First Aid Step III. Personally, I found Master the Boards to be superior to both sources. Crush is also a joke; has very little worthwhile information.

The best Step 3 book I've seen thus far is the Kaplan White Coat Step III review for the Boards. It's a pocket sized (Boards and Wards size) Kaplan Step III book that you are supposed to keep in your white coat but it's actually a much more informative book than Master the Boards. They are both made by Kaplan but have different authors. It's much more detailed than Master the Boards and is NOT written by Conrad Fisher but another guy. I thought Master the Boards was a complete joke. I think a lot of people like it because it's easy to read and often books that are easy to get through not surprisingly get the best reviews. Each page is very light on information but it's organized well and has nice color photos and easy to read charts. I actually thought Crush Step 3 was better than Master the Boards.

FA Step 2 CK would probably be better than FA Step 3. I read all of FA Step 3, and it's got barely any detail, the one really nice thing that it had was about 100 different cases for practicing CCS. Granted, the cases are all mini scenarios, but it gives you things to think about.

However, I relied on question banks.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can tell, this is a brand new review book (2010). I'm probably going to buy it now; it's over 400 pages and looks to be pretty informative. Thanks for the idea.

The best Step 3 book I've seen thus far is the Kaplan White Coat Step III review for the Boards. It's a pocket sized (Boards and Wards size) Kaplan Step III book that you are supposed to keep in your white coat but it's actually a much more informative book than Master the Boards. They are both made by Kaplan but have different authors. It's much more detailed than Master the Boards and is NOT written by Conrad Fisher but another guy. I thought Master the Boards was a complete joke. I think a lot of people like it because it's easy to read and often books that are easy to get through not surprisingly get the best reviews. Each page is very light on information but it's organized well and has nice color photos and easy to read charts. I actually thought Crush Step 3 was better than Master the Boards.

Follow up on the white coat review book. It can actually be found at many Barnes and Noble locations. I looked through it pretty quickly. It definitely had some good pointers, but it was missing many, many key topics. The OB/GYN section is a complete disaster; it has very little OB text. Overall, I would have to rate the Master the Boards as being more comprehensive, but I would bet that a combo of Master the Boards + UWorld + White Coat = Pass.

Follow up on the white coat review book. It can actually be found at many Barnes and Noble locations. I looked through it pretty quickly. It definitely had some good pointers, but it was missing many, many key topics. The OB/GYN section is a complete disaster; it has very little OB text. Overall, I would have to rate the Master the Boards as being more comprehensive, but I would bet that a combo of Master the Boards + UWorld + White Coat = Pass.

Thanks for the heads up....Im also planning on taking this test before residency. Aiming for a June date. So after reviewing all the advice of folks on here - who did well-didnt do well, etc - Im thinking about just using UW questions, and my step 2 FA - since Im familiar with it...and if I have time, Secrets for step 3 as that seems to do well for folks too...?? I'll try to go out and see the Master the boards book from Kaplan, but I know from step 1 experience, too many books is worse than knowing an average book solid....