STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A buddy of mine who just started his third year of FM residency told me he Averaged 55%-UW and Actual Score-87(double digit), not sure what that is in triple digit though. Oh yeah, he studied for 2 weeks, just doing questions.:)

I just got my results back today (less than 3 weeks after I took it).

I did 100 percent of usmleworld in 48 question timed random blocks in a week. This is the only thing I did to prepare (I didn't buy any of the review books). I finished with an average of 52 percent, and got a 203/84 on the real thing. More than a 30 point drop from my first two USMLEs, but I only wanted to pass and I'm a path resident which is not helpful for Step 3 in the slightest.

More than how you score on the UW exams, make sure you read the explanations, and if 80 percent of people get something right and you don't, you need to figure out why.

I'm taking Step 3 early next week. I just finished USMLEWorld and averaged 56% overall, mix of 48 question random timed blocks and doing random questions in tutor mode for learning. I've been doing blocks in the evenings after work and am going to spend my last couple of days reading 1st Aid and practicing the cases on the USMLE CD. I'm also a Path resident and just want to pass and get this done before I forget all my clinical medicine. I'll post again later once I get my results back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking Step 3 early next week. I just finished USMLEWorld and averaged 56% overall, mix of 48 question random timed blocks and doing random questions in tutor mode for learning. I've been doing blocks in the evenings after work and am going to spend my last couple of days reading 1st Aid and practicing the cases on the USMLE CD. I'm also a Path resident and just want to pass and get this done before I forget all my clinical medicine. I'll post again later once I get my results back.

Good Luck!!!:luck::)

Got my score back today: 216/91. I'm just so glad to be done with all of the steps. In the end, I only read some of the cases in the back of 1st Aid. I figured trying to cram other reading was low yield. Overall, the test was long and annoying but had a lot more easy questions than either of the other steps. The cases were mostly straight forward, and I did not have much trouble with them despite having not done a clinical intern year. For anyone in pathology I definitely think getting this done early on is the way to go.

Got my score back today: 216/91. I'm just so glad to be done with all of the steps. In the end, I only read some of the cases in the back of 1st Aid. I figured trying to cram other reading was low yield. Overall, the test was long and annoying but had a lot more easy questions than either of the other steps. The cases were mostly straight forward, and I did not have much trouble with them despite having not done a clinical intern year. For anyone in pathology I definitely think getting this done early on is the way to go.

What was your NBME assesment score?

Just got my score back! I averaged 63% on USMLEWorld and scored 249 on the actual exam. Best of luck to everyone else!

Just got my score back! I averaged 63% on USMLEWorld and scored 249 on the actual exam. Best of luck to everyone else!

Nice Zeke, congrats! What else did you do besides USMLEworld?

I hope this message suppresses the anxiety of those who took the test and are waiting and for those who will take the test soon.

I am currently an intern in urology, in my prelim gen surg year.
Just like for step 2 CK, I only used UW. I was able to do all the questions, but was extremely rushed as I only studied for 3 weeks occassionally after work (2hours), which was difficult since I was tired, and usually post-call (4 hours). So the quality of the studying was poor compared to 10 days for step 2 during a vacation month.

Anyway, I averaged overall, a 59% on UW, but my scores were never consistent, ranging from 45-74%. I thought UW questions were very difficult as well compared to UW for step 2.

I took the test last month and thought the test was very difficult, the hardest of the all the steps. Maybe Im just an idiot, but not suprising given my intensity of studying. I walked out of the first day thinking I failed but the second was much better, but combining the two days I was worried. It only took 21 days to recieve my score, in fact I wasn't even expecting it. I just opened my email and I had gotten my score back. Much, much worse than step 1 and step 2, but still got a 229. Comfortably higher than the score needed to pass. So if you are looking just to pass, then don't worry, cause if I passed, many others will too. Just remember its a 97% pass rate for US grads. I literally mark every question I was not certain of and I had at least 50% marked in each section, certainly an uncomfortable feeling walking out of the test given that this did not happen for the other steps. So hard...yes....passable....definitely.

Good luck and don't worry!

i did about 50% of the Qs on usmleworld, avg = 56%. did all of the ccs cases.

just got my scores back: 200/82.

thought i would do worst cuz there was a lot of peds & ob/gyn on my exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm doing USMLEWorld and using that as my primary study tool, and I am becoming ever more demoralized. Did I learn NOTHING in med school?? What's a good correlation percentage with actual STEP3 scores? Does this test even matter?

I'm a pre-lim for Derm this year. Got my Step 3 score last week. Averaged about 72% on 100% of the UW questions. Just looking to pass and definitely went down from the other 2 steps, but still fortunate enough to get 248/99. Recommend going over all the UW CCS cases...88 cases about 2 full days. They are identical to the ones on the real tests.

I took Step 3 on Dec 17th and 18th... will post my score once I get it. I did all of USMLE World, 62% average. I also read First Aid twice.

I left the test feeling very unsure. I wasn't real confident about the other steps, but this time I was super sick on both days and had a lot of trouble concentrating. Not optimistic at all. We'll see what happens.

I got 58% on UW doing only 60% of questions but got 237/99 on my step 3. I think it's because I got close to 100% on my CCS. Definitively worth studying CCS well... it's by far the easier ot the 2 and counts for 25% of the final mark.

My UWorld avg was 65%; did all the questions once. Also listened to Kaplan videos, did not have time to do the notes but probably the videos did not help much either. Then, spent 4 days doing 88 UW CCS cases, read thru once and last 2 days before exam did First Aid for Step 3. Practised on USMLE CD for CCS. I think this exam was much easier than Step 1 and 2; did not score as high as step 1 and 2 though, however time spent studying was proportionately less.

Exam score: 99/ 239

My UW% was 62%. I went through all the questions once. I also read FA twice (but the cases only once). I spent a total of two and a half weeks studying. I got a 231/99 on the real thing (just got my score today).

Given how I felt walking out of the test I couldn't be happier to be done with the USMLE... forever!

Last edited:
did about 800 UW questions, cumulative 59%, over the course of 10 days. got a 200/82 on the step. test passed, mission accomplished :cool:

just finished the second day today.
I had a technical problem, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=596128 , but I hope it will be resolved.

i did all UW one time - 59% , and all the clinical cases. before that read FA once.

first day was ok, I expected more difficult questions. A few questions over there were exactly questions I had on UW.

second day - 4 multiple choice blocks (45 mins, 36 questions), I was impatient and just wanted to get this over with.

then the 9 CCS - i don't know if that means anything, but all cases ended after 10 minutes of real time. i didn't find them very challenging, they were very straightforward.
I ended up finishing the second day two hours earlier (or something like that).

so that's it, wanted to write this when my memory is fresh, will keep you updated on the score once i get it, and hopefully my technical problem won't be an issue (you can read about it on the above link).

final score arrived on a wednesday, three weeks after.
222, 94

a few points when you compare how i did to how you might do:

1. I didn't start my residency yet
2. I mostly crammed for two weeks
3. I was in the middle of the interview trail, so changing locations, stressing from interviews etc.

good luck to everyone, and I have to say what everyone says before - once you see the questions on the exam you get the feeling that this is easier than what you were doing on UW.

got 221/93....got result in 3 weeks
UW in tutor mode scored 60% and kaplan q bank time mode scored 67%
NBME 10 days out 430
usmle cd 75%
Prepared for 4 weeks.
hope it helps..........

There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

It was heartening to hear the stories that were posted here. Most likely there isn't a correlation between the UW and the actual exam, yet it's nice to see those who scored well on Step 3 who didn't do as well on UW.

Keep it coming. It's still fun.

Nu

step 1: 205
step 2: 208

took step 3 march 26, got score today. used crush, read it through once. bought usmleworld and did all of the questions in timed blocks, plus all of the cases at least once.

scored a cumulative 61% on UW. felt pretty confident going in, but didn't feel great after the 2nd day.

step 3: 202

at least i'm done. good luck spending $700 on this ridiculous test.

Read First Aid once.
Did ~80% of USMLE World averaging 56%, all random timed blocks.
Did all USMLE World CCS Cases once.

Scored 212 on the real test.

The average on this exam was 214, SD was 17, and SEM 6 pts.

Hey,

I found this link by accident one day and thought I would share my experience. I am a med student who just matched into anesthesia and took step 3 before residency to get it out of the way.

UW (1 time) -->63
Kaplan (1 time) -->66
Usmle CD -->77
Step 3 --> 94/222
Step 2 --> 99/248
Step 1 --> 94/233

Good Luck to All!!!

step 3 = 224, 95
usmleworld 57%- did all the questions
studied for two weeks during Feb-March of internship (PGY-1), just doing questions from usmleworld
so glad to be done with USMLE Step exams! :woot:
good luck to everyone!

Got my Step 2 results bout 2 mths ago with a 228/94.
I'm studyin for step 3 now in order to attempt to get a residency next year. So far on the step3 cd about a 71% avg. I just started world and my scores plummitted. I've only done 5 blocks but my avg is like a 40% Now granted I got no residency under my belt and I haven't been in a hospital in a while but I can't imagine that none of my step 2 knowledge didn't carry over a bit. I'm plannin on takin premiere in a couple of weeks then maybe kaplan ?s. Now in ur medical, professional opinion, shud I apply for nursing school???

Got my Step 2 results bout 2 mths ago with a 228/94.
I'm studying for step 3 now in order to attempt to get a residency next year. So far on the step3 cd about a 71% avg. I just started world and my scores plummitted. I've only done 5 blocks but my avg is like a 40% Now granted I got no residency under my belt and I haven't been in a hospital in a while but I can't imagine that none of my step 2 knowledge didn't carry over a bit. I'm plannin on takin premiere in a couple of weeks then maybe kaplan ?s. Now in ur medical, professional opinion, shud I apply for nursing school???

1. Hell no your not a *****. Just started UW, got many blocks to go. Give yourself a chance. I know this can seem like a downer but you have a long ways to go before you need to start contemplating a longer time for review. Do at least half the UW Q's and then see where your at. It may just be a simple fact of getting used to doing fast, paced(timed) questions to get your rhythm going again. Try to relax and go for it!
2. May want to consider doing some more reading before you go to heavy harded questions, or try to do the combo at the same time. Everybody has there own study nitch. You know yours. Just use it and have fun with it (if its possible:p).
Also, for the Premier Review, are you doing the Live lecture or the home audio session? Either way I heard the program is just spectacular for Step 3 compared to whats out there right now.

Hey,

I found this link by accident one day and thought I would share my experience. I am a med student who just matched into anesthesia and took step 3 before residency to get it out of the way.

UW (1 time) -->63
Kaplan (1 time) -->66
Usmle CD -->77
Step 3 --> 94/222
Step 2 --> 99/248
Step 1 --> 94/233

Good Luck to All!!!
Hi, congrats! I am a med student too, and would like to get step 3 out of the way ASAP. I have USMLE world, and am finding CCS to be a bit confusing. The 42 examples or so seem extremely detailed in terms of order writing...like writing new orders for each different day, etc. Did you find CCS confusing when you first approached it? Are there any good sites that explain exactly what we're supposed to in these cases? Thank you for your time and again, congrats!!!

I scored 58% on the UWorld and got only 187/75.
I think if one scores very high on the CCS part ,the score gets very high too.
I only have a slightly lower to higher performance on the actual exam CCS.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
50% on UW, scored 191 on Step 3.

The CCS brought me WAY down. I truly don't care, though, because all that matters is that I passed :)

Just got my score back today, exactly three weeks after I took the test.

I scored a 57% on UW, finishing 1000 questions. I did each of the CCS simulation cases where you could actually go through the encounters but didn't look at the other cases at all. I basically only did questions and didn't read any of the review books.

I completely f%cked up three of the CCS cases on the actual exam and guessed on a ton of the questions as I got bored really easily and just wanted to rush through the exam as soon as possible.

Score: 211/88

So glad I am done with this crap. It really isn't a big deal and trust me, you guys will all do fine.

Last edited:
Step 3 Score: 231/99
UW: 66% (completed 88%)
New Kaplan Qbank: 67% (100% done)
CCS: UW
NBME: 580
Did not do USMLE CD.
Step 1 & 2 > 235
IMG, will start residency in 2009
Both UW and Kaplan Qbanks done in timed, random, 48Q blocks.

IMHO best way to prepare is by doing questions and practicing CCS.

Hope it helps.

Read First Aid for Step 3 once through, reviewing a few sections before taking questions for that subject.

Did USMLE World questions, 96% of them, getting only 50% right overall. I spent a LOT of time reading the answers. I thought many of these questions were very tough. A lot of the time it depended if I had done a rotation in that subject as to how well I did in that subject. However, I am doing an anesthesiology prelim year with lots of surgery and ICU.

Had 1 week off before the test, doing 40% of my total USMLE world questions.

Did about 20 CCS cases from USMLE world cases. Explanations were good in showing you what you need to order, what doesn't hurt you and what does hurt you.

Step 1 = 214
Step 2 = 221
Step 3 = 201

Glad its all over! Hope this helps!!

Hey, how long is it taking for you guys to get scores back now that the new computer system is in? Still 3-4 weeks, or is it the 8 weeks they tell you when you take it?

Thanks.

USMG finishing intern year in FM
USMLE World: started scoring in 40% range, finished in 50-60%
CCS: UW, did about half the cases
Did the USMLE free qs, scored about 70%. Did all their cases.
Step 1 & 2: 220s
Step 3: 220s. Got the score back exactly 3 weeks after test day #2.
I studied about 3 weeks at night after clinic shifts, no dedicated days for board study.

This exam felt much less stressful than 1 & 2, even though it was longer. Topics seemed balanced.

I agree that practicing with the CCS software goes a long way. Also, be SURE to check whether the case is set in the office or the ER. I missed a life-threatening emergency while I was busy counseling a pt about diabetic diet, wearing seatbelt, and safe sex, for an hour.

I know it's tempting to want to get this out of the way before intern year, but really, it's so much easier when you have already written these orders over and over again for a year, and seen patients with most of the illnesses and issues presented on the exam.

I did all of the usmleworld questions in timed, random blocks with an average of 58%. I then went back and did all my missed questions a second time. I also did all of the Kaplan q-book for step 3 which has good explanations but were too easy.

Did usmle world CCS cases- all the interactive but none of the others.

Studied for about 3 weeks with 7 days off before the test.

218/92 with results in exactly 3 weeks. Good to be done!

hi,

read this post while studying for step 3, thought i would pay it back by posting my experience.

Studied for 3 weeks at end of my internship while on radiology. Used FA for step 3 and usmleworld

usmleworld MCQs: finished all questions, percentage of 59%, done at random during that month

read first aid twice

did the CCS cases on the usmle cd and did about 20-25 of the usmleworld cases (i thought their explanations on approaching cases and the best method was very helpful on the real thing, would highly suggest doing at least a few)

got my score almost 4 weeks after the day

step III 234

good luck to everyone and thanks to the other posters for sharing your experience.

I also read this thread all the time while studying for Step 3 so wanted to share my experience.

Studied for about 2 weeks at the end of intern year during elective month. I used Crush and FA (read each once, parts of each I read twice).

Did about 85% of USMLE world questions, with an average 56%. Range from 48-62%. Did about 20 of the interactive cases and read the explanations of the rest of the interactive cases, as well as some of the non-interactive cases.

Also did all the cases and questions from the USMLE practice material (92% on MCQ)

Step 3 Score: 233

Results about 4 1/2 weeks after test date.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi,
I read this board while I was going crazy prepping/ stressing over Step 3 so now that I got my scores today I thought I'd 'give back' and post my experience!

I was an average Step 1/Step 2-er, got almost exactly the mean on both.
and on Step 3 I continued the trend, went up just a few points: 222.

But I did AWFUL on usmleworld. . .i was getting tons of scores in the 40s and 50s, i think my average overall was right around 50 or 51%; I did maybe 1/3 of the questions.

AND i took the test right BEFORE intern year (in psych) to get it out of the way! So, I walked out sure that combined with how badly I had been doing on the usmleworld questions, plus how hard I felt the test was, I was going to have failed. But I am so thankful-- praise God that I passed comfortably and even improved; I still can't believe it!

So have hope. . .thinking you did awfully doesn't mean anything until you get your scores back.

And fyi, for studying I used Crush mostly, skimmed First Aid some, and definitely practiced with the case simulations which I think boosted my score.

Good luck-- SO glad to be done with the USMLE forever!!!

I studied for about 2hrs/day x 2 weeks for Step 3. I read Crush Step 3 x 1 (reread sections for which I didn't score highly on USMLE World), completed 70% of the questions on USMLE World, and did all of the CCS cases on USMLE World.

Cumulative USMLE World score = 67%
Step 3 score 250+/99
Results 3.5 weeks after test date.

I'm an IM PGY3. I really think that completing the simulated CCS cases helped me score well on the actual exam.

It's funny -- I found that I had to "unlearn" some of the idiosyncrasies of medicine at my hospital (e.g. kinds of antibiotics used for pneumonia, sepsis, etc) and focus on what was appropriate for the exam. USMLE World and Crush were great study aids as I was a bit anxious about taking this exam so far out from my surgery/ob-gyn/peds rotations.

I felt elation and a sense of relief after finishing this exam. The final step was complete!

53% USMLE World/ Two digit 95 on the real thing.

I think USMLE is more effective in tutor mode. I didn't worry about my USMLE scored, I just made sure to read those explanations!

I did a lot better on the multiple choice, CCS brought my score down.

just got my score tonight. finally! after 3 sleepless nights...
UW MCQs i read 1.5 times got 50-52% after my first round ( i was so scared after reading this thread and the valuemd forum on scores); after repeating some questions my score increased to 56% (i was averaging around 60-70%).
did NBME MCQs 2days b4 exam which was kind of too late already but just for practice and peace of mind. got 410 (didnt really get me a lot of peace but...)
actual step 3 score: 86/208
Thanks to those who posted their scores. Payin in forward now... :):):)