STEP 3 Score VS USMLE WORLD AVERAGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a great thread for Step 2ck VS UW%. I though it might be helpful if anyone out there can give us there input with there Step 3 VS UW%...etc as well. Anyways Thanks for the contribution.

I'm do to take Step 3 in the next month. Will update this thread as well. For better or for worse. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Update:
Ended up pushing my exam by 8 days

UWSA 1 189
NBME 5 128/174 (72%)
UWSA 2 213

Exam in 3 days. I still dont feel great about going into it. But at this point...it is what it is.
ended up getting a score closer to UWSA 2. Happy with it!
It all works out. Do CCS cases well.

-US MD, IM resident

-step 1 250s
-step 2 250s

-uworld (90% of questions completed on timed+random) - 74% (was pretty consistently 65-80% from the first to last block, didn’t really get progressively better like I had on previous Uworld qbanks for step 1 and 2).

-I studied with only Uworld questions (took 40-block tests, reviewed all questions afterwards and wrote down concepts I didn’t know beforehand) and Uworld cases (did 75% of the interactive cases and read through the remaining 25%). Didn’t use any other resources (didn’t take uwsa, do the biostats review, read other books, etc).

-step 3 250s

Test felt horrible coming out but in retrospect I would have done like 50% of Uworld or just done Uworld questions focusing on peds/OBGYN (things I don’t know as well because of my specialty). My takeaway is, to pass comfortably, if you are a peds/IM/OBGYN/family med resident you can probably get away with doing half of Uworld (and focusing on the specialties you don’t work in for that 50%) and most of the Uworld interactive cases as long as you’re scoring probably >60% on Uworld and are a reasonably good test taker (>220 on previous steps). If you’re in a more specialized specialty maybe worth doing 70%+ of Uworld and taking the self-assessment to make sure you’re on track (per my friends in surgical sub specialties).

Sorry I don’t have uwsa data to help correlate with final score, but hopefully the percentage correct on the q bank is still helpful. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
US IMG here, class of 2020 and still unmatched so here’s hoping this is what puts me over the top. Since grad I've been scribing for pain management and covid swabbing/vaxxing for the school district, so I had to relearn a lot for this exam. This thread comforted me and helped me make a last week study plan that kicked me into high gear, so here’s my humble contribution:

Numbers:
Step1: 197 (a family member fractured C1-2 the week I took it, I’m proud of the score under the circumstances, but I’ve got something to prove)
Step2: 221
Step3: 226

Study:
-2 months on and off with 2 jobs and 1 post-grad rotation of 50+ hours per week. 2 weeks dedicated (tho tbh I worked 8 of those days)
-Uworld 58% untimed tutor first pass. Went subject by subject to learn, redid all my incorrects until I understood why I was getting them wrong. Second pass, random timed mode 89%. Also did MtB and their 4 Correlations and Clinical Scenarios books which have the basic science correlates intermixed with CCS cases, and Step 3 Clinical Judgement. Skimmed FA1 pharm the night before.
-Crush CCS x2, one time learning, one time practice ordering on the FRED software. Cannot overstate how helpful this was. FRED 6 x2, and Archer vids 1,2,3, and the first part of 4 x1. I did a few UWorld interactive and written cases, but tbh the errors in the software stressed me out too much so I switched to using the FRED software instead.

UWSA1: 196, 55% correct 7 days before (had really bad PMS that day, so decided it was a fluke)
UWSA2: 227, 70% correct 5 days before (that's more like it, and pretty much identical to my real score)
NBME 5: 430, ~70% correct 2 days before
FRED: 80% the day before each test day, 87% FIP before day 1, 74% ACM before day 2

Per @music2doc ‘s equations, these correlate with scores of:
UWSA1: 220
UWSA2: 235
FRED: 260
If I had to guess, I'd blame CCS for my score being on the lower end of what's predicted by these equations. I should have started practicing it earlier, and I had one case where I panicked hard and made many mistakes. Score report said my performance was 'same' on CCS as everything else, but what does that even mean lmao

Test day:

Day1:
~2-3 WTF questions each block, step1 type content you either know or don't; some syndromes I'd never seen before, or weird 2nd or 3rd order correlations.
-Lots of stats, was sure for most of them. Those step 1 biostats vids are fire!
-Drug ads and abstracts were definitely a trip. I realized after the first block that doing them in block order was throwing me off when I went back to clinical questions, so I started saving them for the end.

Day2:
-the MCQs were more straightforward like everyone says. Having done the FRED questions was very useful, some of my question stems were identical to FRED questions with a variation in the answer choices, like they asked the name of the disease on FRED and asked the next step in management in the real exam.
- CCS were very straightforward once you get into the swing of it. Apart from the first two 10 min cases where I ran out of time, they all ended early, even the one where I panicked and couldn’t figure it out for way too long but got the answer when tests resulted.
- I had an epic cheat sheet, developed with the help of posts on this forum and tweaked for my own use. Wrote it out between MCQ blocks, and then had my paper confiscated mid case for accidentally ripping it (… I know…) so had to write it out again. I had mnemonics for general, surgical, emergent, admitted, and routine orders, as well as one for the life-saving drugs in MI. Overkill maybe, but saved my butt a few times.

I only had 1 day off in between and wish I’d had 2, but I would not have wanted to space them out a week like some have done. Better to have it over with. The weight that came off my shoulders the second I walked out of there, can't even tell you... First time I've ever been confident that I passed a step. Hope this helps someone as much as I have been helped by this thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
US IMG here, class of 2020 and still unmatched so here’s hoping this is what puts me over the top. Since grad I've been scribing for pain management and covid swabbing/vaxxing for the school district, so I had to relearn a lot for this exam. This thread comforted me and helped me make a last week study plan that kicked me into high gear, so here’s my humble contribution:

Numbers:
Step1: 197 (a family member fractured C1-2 the week I took it, I’m proud of the score under the circumstances, but I’ve got something to prove)
Step2: 221
Step3: 226

Study:
-2 months on and off with 2 jobs and 1 post-grad rotation of 50+ hours per week. 2 weeks dedicated (tho tbh I worked 8 of those days)
-Uworld 58% untimed tutor first pass. Went subject by subject to learn, redid all my incorrects until I understood why I was getting them wrong. Second pass, random timed mode 89%. Also did MtB and their 4 Correlations and Clinical Scenarios books which have the basic science correlates intermixed with CCS cases, and Step 3 Clinical Judgement. Skimmed FA1 pharm the night before.
-Crush CCS x2, one time learning, one time practice ordering on the FRED software. Cannot overstate how helpful this was. FRED 6 x2, and Archer vids 1,2,3, and the first part of 4 x1. I did a few UWorld interactive and written cases, but tbh the errors in the software stressed me out too much so I switched to using the FRED software instead.

UWSA1: 196, 55% correct 7 days before (had really bad PMS that day, so decided it was a fluke)
UWSA2: 227, 70% correct 5 days before (that's more like it, and pretty much identical to my real score)
NBME 5: 430, ~70% correct 2 days before
FRED: 80% the day before each test day, 87% FIP before day 1, 74% ACM before day 2

Per @music2doc ‘s equations, these correlate with scores of:
UWSA1: 220
UWSA2: 235
FRED: 260
If I had to guess, I'd blame CCS for my score being on the lower end of what's predicted by these equations. I should have started practicing it earlier, and I had one case where I panicked hard and made many mistakes. Score report said my performance was 'same' on CCS as everything else, but what does that even mean lmao

Test day:

Day1:
~2-3 WTF questions each block, step1 type content you either know or don't; some syndromes I'd never seen before, or weird 2nd or 3rd order correlations.
-Lots of stats, was sure for most of them. Those step 1 biostats vids are fire!
-Drug ads and abstracts were definitely a trip. I realized after the first block that doing them in block order was throwing me off when I went back to clinical questions, so I started saving them for the end.

Day2:
-the MCQs were more straightforward like everyone says. Having done the FRED questions was very useful, some of my question stems were identical to FRED questions with a variation in the answer choices, like they asked the name of the disease on FRED and asked the next step in management in the real exam.
- CCS were very straightforward once you get into the swing of it. Apart from the first two 10 min cases where I ran out of time, they all ended early, even the one where I panicked and couldn’t figure it out for way too long but got the answer when tests resulted.
- I had an epic cheat sheet, developed with the help of posts on this forum and tweaked for my own use. Wrote it out between MCQ blocks, and then had my paper confiscated mid case for accidentally ripping it (… I know…) so had to write it out again. I had mnemonics for general, surgical, emergent, admitted, and routine orders, as well as one for the life-saving drugs in MI. Overkill maybe, but saved my butt a few times.

I only had 1 day off in between and wish I’d had 2, but I would not have wanted to space them out a week like some have done. Better to have it over with. The weight that came off my shoulders the second I walked out of there, can't even tell you... First time I've ever been confident that I passed a step. Hope this helps someone as much as I have been helped by this thread!
"Crush CCS x2, one time learning, one time practice ordering on the FRED software. Cannot overstate how helpful this was. ..... I did a few UWorld interactive and written cases, but tbh the errors in the software stressed me out too much so I switched to using the FRED software instead.

Congrats on being done!
Can you please explain how did you do Crush CCS on FRED software? And UWorld on Fred too?

Thank you

"Crush CCS x2, one time learning, one time practice ordering on the FRED software. Cannot overstate how helpful this was. ..... I did a few UWorld interactive and written cases, but tbh the errors in the software stressed me out too much so I switched to using the FRED software instead.

Congrats on being done!
Can you please explain how did you do Crush CCS on FRED software? And UWorld on Fred too?

Thank you
This is something recommended by the A r c h e r vids, so you can get used to how the actual software reacts to you. Basically, you open a FRED case but ignore what the case is telling you and read through a UWorld or Crush CCS case information and exam findings instead, then place your orders appropriately for the UWorld or Crush case. This can help you figure out how to order things more efficiently, and what kinds of things you usually forget to order. Ideally you would have a partner who would have the book so you couldn't see the answers, and could tell you the exam findings and whether your patient is getting better or not, like running flash cards with a partner, but I found it pretty helpful and informative just practicing on my own.

For example, I was stressing about remembering HAART regimens and Hep C antiviral drugs. By testing it out on the real FRED software, I realized there are no Hep C drugs recognized by the software, so I didn't have to worry about that, but that HAART would have to be ordered drug by drug.

This is something recommended by the A r c h e r vids, so you can get used to how the actual software reacts to you. Basically, you open a FRED case but ignore what the case is telling you and read through a UWorld or Crush CCS case information and exam findings instead, then place your orders appropriately for the UWorld or Crush case. This can help you figure out how to order things more efficiently, and what kinds of things you usually forget to order. Ideally you would have a partner who would have the book so you couldn't see the answers, and could tell you the exam findings and whether your patient is getting better or not, like running flash cards with a partner, but I found it pretty helpful and informative just practicing on my own.

For example, I was stressing about remembering HAART regimens and Hep C antiviral drugs. By testing it out on the real FRED software, I realized there are no Hep C drugs recognized by the software, so I didn't have to worry about that, but that HAART would have to be ordered drug by drug.
How did you not see the answer when you were doing it by yourself? I wish I could see how you did by yourself without a partner. I will come back to this after I get done with crush book. Thanks!