Step 3 scores and pediatric fellowships

Started by lulu3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lulu3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what effect step 3 scores have on getting a peds fellowship. I had to take mine three times but passed on the third try. I'm finishing up my peds residency at a very good program and should get really good LOR.
 
I have to admit that failing step 3 twice is a bit of a red flag, especially since that is the one exam that is completely clinically based. It's not going to help, for sure. If the program can see that you failed twice, I'm afraid it won't bode well. Do you know why you failed/what the issue was?
 
I actually had a very hard time taking tests. After the second fail, I really had no idea what was wrong until I talked to a few people. They mentioned that it was my test taking skills and was told to seek help. I took a month off and learned how to take tests with help from a tutor. It made a world of difference. So that's what happened.