Step 3 Studying Best Source?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Please pardon me if this has been asked before.

I'm about to start my intern year (PGY-1) in Medicine (I'm a Neuro resident though) and my chiefs recommended going through Part 2 of Harrison's prior to orientation to prepare for Step 3 and other licensing exams. I did try to read this but it was extremely cumbersome and I retained little of what I read.

I did recently purchase a Step 3 UWorld subscription and have been going through questions (nothing else to do at this point, really). As usual, it seems like an excellent teaching tool - no different than UWorld for Steps 1 and 2CK.

I overheard one attending (who is relatively young) that he thinks UWorld is overrated...I found this statement odd because practice questions are typically the best way to prepare for any MC exam, and UWorld is of course impeccable in its question and explanation quality.

So should I be fine with just doing UWorld for a pass or two? Or should I actually read that gargantuan Harrison's book?

Members don't see this ad.

Do what works for YOU - these great question banks weren’t really available for older docs so they don’t get it. We had those types too - “study for your boards by checking out recent NEJM review articles” and such. Many testers use this question bank and do well - like other advice during your clinical training you don’t really agree with, just smile and say OK and move on.

And for heavens sake don’t read half of Harrison’s that thing is a tome and I didn’t know people still referenced it!

Best past of Step 3 - for the most part, it’s a check mark and the score doesn’t tupically mean much.

There's no more bang for your buck time/effort/money wise than nailing CCS portion of Step 3. Review the uWorld CCS cases and buy the book "Crush the CCS" and read through both twice in one week and you'll max out the CCS score easily (which is 25% of the overall score).