Step 3 Timing During Pedatrics Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishCalini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just got an email from my program today about scheduling Step 3. They have it approved for us to take it during certain blocks, and my two choices are between July 23rd – August 5th or January 21st – February 3rd.

Basically my question is which of these two blocks is better? I've heard with Step 3, you just want to take it and pass it (leading me to favor the first choice), but then I'm also worried about being overwhelmed at the start of intern year (leading me to favor the second choice).

Help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Let's just be honest--you're not gonna be spending much time studying for this test. I'd try and just take it during the first block and get it over with and move on with your life. You don't need much more than 2-3 weeks to study.

I took it in August of intern year at the end of my DBP rotation, which was a great choice. The longer you wait, the more adult medicine you'll forget. You don't need to study much, so taking it early is a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it in February of intern year because I couldn't afford to pay for the test (my program didn't pay for it) until then. I studied on my newborn nursery rotation and did fine. I had a coworker who had a coworker who took it in July and did fine. It doesn't really matter, but you should probably take it during a lighter block and not during a wards month if given the chance.