USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Techmed, you will get your score on the Wednesday after your permit goes away from the NBME site and your application on FSMB changes to expired without a link to reapply or a link appears to reapply. Pray for the former. I would guess if not this week next week.

Thank man. I cannot find the permit anywhere on the NBME site, and my application on FSMB says the statement, "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." but there is NO link.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I took my step 3 exam on 04/17 and 04/23. I cannot see the print permit option today in the candidate website, but the application status in my fsmb portal still shows approved. My eligibility period expired on 04/30. Can I expect my results this Wednesday (05/09)? It's only been 2 weeks since my exam.

Thank you.

So, the permit link disappeared yesterday. The status changed from "active" to "expired" this morning with no link to reapply and a gray box that says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience."

I gave step 3 three weeks ago. I studied 30% of UW and did CCS twice. I want to pass this thing even if it is by a bare minimum. Anyone else waiting on results this week?

So, the permit link disappeared yesterday. The status changed from "active" to "expired" this morning with no link to reapply and a gray box that says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience."

I gave step 3 three weeks ago. I studied 30% of UW and did CCS twice. I want to pass this thing even if it is by a bare minimum. Anyone else waiting on results this week?
May I know the date of your Day 2 exam?

Took Exam 4/14, 4/16. Status on FSMB says expired as of yesterday morning. No link to reapply. Awaiting results.

Trick Works for sure. Passed. Best of luck to all future test takers. Over and done with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
my 2nd day was on 4/24/2018....
in gray box : Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.

what does it mean

Permit link is gone for me. However, my status still says approved with no link below to reapply. Anyone else in the same boat? Took the 2nd day of my test on 4/23.

Permit link is gone for me. However, my status still says approved with no link below to reapply. Anyone else in the same boat? Took the 2nd day of my test on 4/23.
My second day was on 04/23 too and my status still says approved. My eligibility period expired on 04/30, which is the extended eligibility period. The permit link disappeared as soon as my eligibility period expired. Can we expect results this wed?

I took my test on April 27,28. My eligibility period ended on April 30. The status on FSMB shows expired from today. Does this mean that I can get my result tonight? It has only been 2 weeks since the exam

You have an active registration:
    Expired
  • Name:
    NY NAME
  • Submit Date:
    Sunday, November 26, 2017
  • Eligibility Start Date:
    Thursday, February 01, 2018
  • Eligibility Expiration Date:
    Monday, April 30, 2018
Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience.

As far as I can tell, this seems to be good news.
I do not see any active link for reapplication.

You have an active registration:
    Expired
  • Name:
    NY NAME
  • Submit Date:
    Sunday, November 26, 2017
  • Eligibility Start Date:
    Thursday, February 01, 2018
  • Eligibility Expiration Date:
    Monday, April 30, 2018
Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience.

As far as I can tell, this seems to be good news.
I do not see any active link for reapplication.
Mine says the same... do you have a yellow start button below the grey box?

Trick worked for me as well. I checked my status on the FSMB website on Tuesday and the status was expired. Underneath that, I had a gray box which read 'Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience.' There was no link to reapply anywhere on that page, or anywhere else on the FSMB website, for that matter.

I attempted step 3 like a year ago as well and the trick worked then, too. I remember seeing a yellow bar underneath the gray box, which allowed me to fill out a new step 3 application...took me all the way to the payment page (it was devastating). Finally, I'm done with USMLE forever! :)

So on the NBME the permit disappeard this am. On the FSMB it says status approved but no link to reapply or anything.

Same here my permit disappeared....FSMB site still says approved and that my application will expire soon. No link to reapply. But I think from what others posted we have to wait until it actually expires?

Same here my permit disappeared....FSMB site still says approved and that my application will expire soon. No link to reapply. But I think from what others posted we have to wait until it actually expires?

I see. So on Tuesday we will get the expired link and depending on the outcome will get the go ahead to reapply.

This **** is so stressful.

Good luck to all those waiting

I see. So on Tuesday we will get the expired link and depending on the outcome will get the go ahead to reapply.

This **** is so stressful.

Good luck to all those waiting

Same here. No more print permit Sunday. Still on approved status saying will expire shortly. I guess tomorrow morning?

Permit link disappeared last week (when my eligibility period ended on 5/31). FSMB website changed from "Active" to "Expired" today, with this message at the bottom: "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience."

Should get to see a nice passing score tomorrow! (tomorrow will be the 4th Wednesday since my test, I took it on 5/12 and 5/13.

Permit link disappeared last week (when my eligibility period ended on 5/31). FSMB website changed from "Active" to "Expired" today, with this message at the bottom: "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience."

Should get to see a nice passing score tomorrow! (tomorrow will be the 4th Wednesday since my test, I took it on 5/12 and 5/13.

Same.
I took mine on 05/09 and 05/16 so tomorrow makes it the third Wednesday. This stupid exam has occupied my mind to the point where I can't even focus on my studies for fellowship.

Same.
I took mine on 05/09 and 05/16 so tomorrow makes it the third Wednesday. This stupid exam has occupied my mind to the point where I can't even focus on my studies for fellowship.

Same. Mine changed to expired this morning. No link to reapply. This trick better work.

Score reports are up! I think that old “number two pencil” adage still holds true. Definitely phoned it in on this one. So happy to be done with the Steps. Hoping everyone else gets good news!

For my fellow slackers...
UWorld: went through <25% of questions, all in tutor mode. I picked subjects that I’m weaker in. Subscription to qbank ran out 6 weeks before I took the test and I didn’t renew it. Took UWSA1 about a week before the test. Did about 15 CCS cases and skimmed the rest.
Biostatistics: looked over FA for Step 1 for reminders and formulas. I bought the UWorld biostats supplement and stopped about 1/3 of the way through because it was boring and I didn’t find it to be very helpful.
Also watched a few MedEd videos for OB, peds, and my weaker medicine subjects.
Score: 250s (one point less than my CK score)

Last edited:
Left the exam praying for a 196, passed with a 221! Couldn't be happier, now its time to try and get some sleep!

Edit: I guess I should also add that the score trick worked for me, also, my score report was up pretty much exactly at midnight EST.

Also my study technique was pretty much just using uworld, I did one pass got about 70% correct on the first pass, I crammed biostats the day before day 1. I had a week between day 1 and day 2 and I used that time to do all the CCS cases (only did like 2 before day 1).

I'm in an internal medicine residency, I took day 1 on the last day of an elective before starting a time intensive floor rotation. I got coverage for my day 2.

I'm just so glad that its done!

Also that 221 is right around my other step scores (Step 1 224, Step 2 232, Step 3 221).

US allopathic graduate!

Congrats to everyone who passed!

Last edited:
Passed...trick works!

Definitely phoned this one in.
Just needed to pass and not kick ass...start of my fellowship depended on it.

Prep time - 4 weeks (heaviest prep 2 weeks on research block and sparingly 2 weeks on CCU)
Did 80% of Uworld in tutor mode - skimmed the Ob/GYN, Peds, and surgery section from MTB3. I absolutely suck at biostats and despite my trying I continued to suck at it. Avg in UW was abt 70%. Did all the UW interactive CCS and read the chart summary thing.

Day 1 - absolute disaster, I just picked whatever even remotely looked right; biostats were a complete skull****.
Day 2 - more CKish and CCS went okay..a lot of cases ended early and majority of the Dx were straight-forward. A few cases were truly WTF instances.

UWSA 2 - 215
UWSA 1 - 213
Real Deal - 212

Goodbye USMLE...this'll be the last money you take from me.
Hello...ABIM...here's my bank card and the PIN number.

Trick worked, score report appeared at midnight. Did UWorld for 3.5 weeks, got through ~80% of total questions in untimed tutor mode.

UW average 75%
UWSA - didn't do
UW CCS - did 15-20 of them quickly the last week

Step 3 score: 252

Nice to get one of the last intern year checkboxes checked before I start my advanced residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone expecting results this Wednesday had his permit disappear? Mine is still showing...
I'm in the same boat, I still have my permit link and the status as Approved on FSMB. Maybe we are not getting the score this week.
I took my 2nd day on April 25th.

Has anyone expecting results this Wednesday had his permit disappear? Mine is still showing...

I am in the same boat. Second day was May 25 and everything is still approved. The link to my permit has been gone for weeks. Paying for a good outcome. Let's keep each other updated. Goodluck everyone!

My second day was May 25th not April, my mistake. Today is only Monday, we still have time. let's hope we don't have to wait another week.

My second day was May 25th not April, my mistake. Today is only Monday, we still have time. let's hope we don't have to wait another week.

My permit just disappeared at 8 AM CST. I haven't checked FSMB for any changes.

I took the exam May 15 & May 22.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, it looks like we are getting the score this week after all, my permit just disappeared as well.