USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
0Passed!!! Trick works!!! Just for reference 201 USWA 1 (1 week out) & USWA 2 207 4(days out). Real this 217!!! Did all of Uworld once and all of CCScases. Done with USMLE forever thank god!!!! Nothing but a money making scheme anyways, good luck to everyone.
Congrats. Also, let’s not report that the trick works because it does not. In recent years even people that failed had seen the same FSMB screen as those that passed. Only on the day of score release the screen for people failing got updated. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
215 — And I was convinced that I had failed when walked out from both days. I was only confident about my performance in CCS. For step 1 and 2, I at least knew I would pass but this one....phewww....I had a totally opposite feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Worked for me at least probably a coincidence , yeah I've seen those posts in the past. I honestly forgot everything by the second day... let alone six months :p **splenda**

Everyone here has been a life line to me I've been following this thread for the past 6 months tonight was my first posting however... anyhow thank you for all the support everyone and best of luck!

215 — And I was convinced that I had failed when walked out from both days. I was only confident about my performance in CCS. For step 1 and 2, I at least knew I would pass but this one....phewww....I had a totally opposite feeling.
Felt the same, scored higher in CCS even tho I remember tons of little mistakes I made.

Reactions: 1 user
PASSSSED... 227. Was 50% sure I was going to fail.

This thread should be removed from the forum. The worst part of step 3 was the last 3 days before getting the results. My life would be so much better if I had never seen this page and trick garbage.

Last edited:
  • Love
my score is not released yet? does it mean I've failed?
When did you take the exam? I have not received my score yet either and my last day was March 1st. The permit link is still up on the NBME interactive website, and on the FSMB page status is "Approved." I anticipate they will release it next week.

PASSSSED... 227. Was 50% sure I was going to fail.

This thread should be removed from the forum. The worst part of step 3 was the last 3 days before getting the exam. My life would be so much better if I had never seen this page and trick garbage.
I completely agree with you. There is no Trick any more. I suggest everyone to wait for Wednesday 12:00 AM for result.

Congrats to all of you guys, I wish I could congratulate myself, second Fail and the "trick" didn't work for me, felt I did VERY well, was out of the test almost confident of passing unlike the first time, and by Sunday my account was Expired and grayed out, but comes Wednesday and BOOM! FAIL!
Worst feeling ever, especially knowing I will not have a contract for next year and the fact I have invested so much in this, moved out of state away from my family alone! Guess will be packing soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of you guys, I wish I could congratulate myself, second Fail and the "trick" didn't work for me, felt I did VERY well, was out of the test almost confident of passing unlike the first time, and by Sunday my account was Expired and grayed out, but comes Wednesday and BOOM! FAIL!
Worst feeling ever, especially knowing I will not have a contract for next year and the fact I have invested so much in this, moved out of state away from my family alone! Guess will be packing soon.
I cannot even begin to imagine how you must be feeling, but as someone who has struggled in other ways to get here, I know how heartbreaking this can be. I don’t know you but I know you will make it. It will be tough...but you will make it. You have come this far...not because of luck...but because of your sheer hard work and determination. It is okay if others give up on you but it is not okay if you give up on yourself. Cheers!

I’m honestly not sure I really understand what the trick is but sounds like it’s fake anyway.

If it helps anyone looking at this later though-
Step 3 Score: 240

Step1/2: 251/268
Ortho PGY1. Studied 6ish weeks but was on a very rough rotation the first month so was more like 2.5 weeks really. Did about 30% of UWorld, average was around like a 67% I think. Made some Anki cards from my incorrects because that’s always worked well. Went over all the interactive CCS cases twice which I think helped a ton. Took UWSA1 the day before and got a 201.
Was legit worried I failed. Felt like the hardest step exam (they all kinda felt that way I guess). One day 2 I thought the cases were easy but felt like I didn’t know a single multiple choice question. Day 1 was hard but not as insane, a bit of biostats but less than expected and was fairly simple.

Thank god that’s over and I can settle into having the only thing about medicine I know being the consulting service pager number lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m honestly not sure I really understand what the trick is but sounds like it’s fake anyway.

If it helps anyone looking at this later though-
Step 3 Score: 240

Step1/2: 251/268
Ortho PGY1. Studied 6ish weeks but was on a very rough rotation the first month so was more like 2.5 weeks really. Did about 30% of UWorld, average was around like a 67% I think. Made some Anki cards from my incorrects because that’s always worked well. Went over all the interactive CCS cases twice which I think helped a ton. Took UWSA1 the day before and got a 201.
Was legit worried I failed. Felt like the hardest step exam (they all kinda felt that way I guess). One day 2 I thought the cases were easy but felt like I didn’t know a single multiple choice question. Day 1 was hard but not as insane, a bit of biostats but less than expected and was fairly simple.

Thank god that’s over and I can settle into having the only thing about medicine I know being the consulting service pager number lol.
I had the same experience with Day 2, despite everyone saying Day 1 was easier. Day 2 MCQs felt like a lot of guessing. Cases were fine and day 1+ biostats as was ok. Seems like we both had similar experiences but you put much less work for similar results.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with Day 2, despite everyone saying Day 1 was easier. Day 2 MCQs felt like a lot of guessing. Cases were fine and day 1+ biostats as was ok. Seems like we both had similar experiences but you put much less work for similar results.
Well I’d chalk that up to just probably having forgotten less than I thought I had from prior knowledge. I’m really not the “barely study destroy the test” guy. Studied more than most for step 1, kept studying really hard during third year and then for step 2CK... took CK in June of 2019 but I think I probably remembered a good amount (CK felt like the most similar of the exams to this, overall).
I’m shocked though tbh, I really was getting worried I might have failed (especially with that practice score the day before).

When did you take the exam? I have not received my score yet either and my last day was March 1st. The permit link is still up on the NBME interactive website, and on the FSMB page status is "Approved." I anticipate they will release it next week.
my second day was on Feb 27th. I still don't have the score up and freaking out. NBME clearly stated all scores from Jan and Feb will be released on March 17th.

my second day was on Feb 27th. I still don't have the score up and freaking out. NBME clearly stated all scores from Jan and Feb will be released on March 17th.
It will be out on Wednesday. The USMLE previously stated "The target date for reporting scores for most examinees testing in January and February 2021 is Wednesday, March 17, 2021. After this, the normal score reporting schedule (four weeks after testing) will resume. " You tested on one of the last days in Feb, and it was a weekend. Score will likely be released on Wed. I wouldn't worry, from looking at this thread in 2020, people who test on Sat/Sun have their scores released after people who finish the exam on a Thurs/Fri.

It will be out on Wednesday. The USMLE previously stated "The target date for reporting scores for most examinees testing in January and February 2021 is Wednesday, March 17, 2021. After this, the normal score reporting schedule (four weeks after testing) will resume. " You tested on one of the last days in Feb, and it was a weekend. Score will likely be released on Wed. I wouldn't worry, from looking at this thread in 2020, people who test on Sat/Sun have their scores released after people who finish the exam on a Thurs/Fri.
Agreed, I think my testing slot Feb 24/26 -> March 17th is the shortest reporting period I've ever seen. 2 weeks and 5 days from the end of my exam. I find it unfair people who took their score on Jan 15 got their score the same date as me but it's how they roll things out during the new year. You definitely missed the cut off by a day it seems. Your score should come out next week.

To all of you expecting your scores this week, more posts in the official experiences thread and less posts in this "trick" thread would be helpful! Felt so isolated when trying to learn about what this test was about.

Agreed, I think my testing slot Feb 24/26 -> March 17th is the shortest reporting period I've ever seen. 2 weeks and 5 days from the end of my exam. I find it unfair people who took their score on Jan 15 got their score the same date as me but it's how they roll things out during the new year. You definitely missed the cut off by a day it seems. Your score should come out next week.
My second day was March 8th and my permit is still there..... Freaking out!!!

My second day was March 8th and my permit is still there..... Freaking out!!!
This thread needs to die...

Seriously OP, sorry you're nervous but:

1.) Stop obsessing over the "trick". It doesn't mean anything. I have heard people who had their permit disappear and fail. I have yet to see a person say their permit disappear (your situation) and then come back and confirm they failed.

2.) Never in history has someone gotten their results within 16 days. I got mine at 19 days and that was only because I took my test at the very end of the reporting period. You're most likely getting your results next week.

This thread needs to die...

Seriously OP, sorry you're nervous but:

1.) Stop obsessing over the "trick". It doesn't mean anything. I have heard people who had their permit disappear and fail. I have yet to see a person say their permit disappear (your situation) and then come back and confirm they failed.

2.) Never in history has someone gotten their results within 16 days. I got mine at 19 days and that was only because I took my test at the very end of the reporting period. You're most likely getting your results next week.
I have read this thread. Don't know anyone saying permit did not disappear, yet received the results the same night. That is what freaking me out. Tonight marks 4th Wednesday from my day one. I was told that we get results on 3rd on 4th Wednesday from day one.

• Okay...
I have read this thread. Don't know anyone saying permit did not disappear, yet received the results the same night. That is what freaking me out. Tonight marks 4th Wednesday from my day one. I was told that we get results on 3rd on 4th Wednesday from day one

1. You probably heard wrong. Even on this thread everyone is mentioning the *second date. Think about it...it's been literally 15 days since you finished the test.

2. There is all of one post of someone saying the permit stayed and they failed. There is someone in 2020 who said they failed but permit *disappeared. Additionally, people have failed even when their permit disappeared. The only think that seems fairly consistent is if your permit disappears you're getting your score (P/F) that week.
---
I am willing to bet $100 you're not getting your results tonight and will have to wait until next week.

Last edited:
Let's put this thread to an end. The permit link disappearing has merit, but not the way most would like. if your permit link disappears on Monday or Tuesday, all it means is that you are for sure getting your score report that Wednesday. IT WILL NOT TELL YOU IF YOU PASSED OR FAILED.

I would also like to see this thread gone. It made Step 3 seem way more stressful than it was but ultimately it's up to the mods.

took the test 4/28 and 4/29 as well. Permit disappeared this week and just checked, scores are actually up on the website! (seems like scores come out at 12am EST)

Got a 257!! So surprised as I had though this had been the hardest step exam. So stoked to be done with step FOREVERR! :D:D:D:D

For reference, finished around 67% of Uworld with 88th percentile. Also did around 80 CCS cases on ccscases.com. Did not take any of the UWSA's.

took the test 4/28 and 4/29 as well. Permit disappeared this week and just checked, scores are actually up on the website! (seems like scores come out at 12am EST)

Got a 257!! So surprised as I had though this had been the hardest step exam. So stoked to be done with step FOREVERR! :D:D:D:D

For reference, finished around 67% of Uworld with 88th percentile. Also did around 80 CCS cases on ccscases.com. Did not take any of the UWSA's.
Congratulations !! Passed as well. Happy to be done with USMLE.

Also trick doesn't work. My permit link disappeared and fsmb account status changed from approved to expired. I still don't have a link to reapply even though I failed.

Last edited:
My last step 3 day was 4/21 and I still haven't gotten my score... Seeing this makes me even more nervous. Knowing people who took the test after me have already gotten their results..

My last step 3 day was 4/21 and I still haven't gotten my score... Seeing this makes me even more nervous. Knowing people who took the test after me have already gotten their results..
I wouldn't be surprised if you got your score this coming Wednesday. For some people it is three weeks, for others it is four.

No results yet.. 😔
Hmm. The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps because you took the second day in the middle of the week that the score would be released later on in the week. My second day was on a Monday and the score was released three weeks later on Wednesday. I don't remember exactly, but there may be a schedule caveat like that. I have been keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Anyone anticipating results tomorrow (Wednesday) and their permit link disappeared? Did your FSMB expire??

Hi all. Passed step 3 finally. Wanted to share my experience with all people dealing with failure in step 3. It is a very difficult exam.. especially for me who is a very old IMG .. I can help advice people in the same boat. Pls reach out to me.

BEB4476D-410A-40CC-933E-12AF0E169608.jpeg
What does this mean? Slightly freaking out

Hey, has anyone gotten their scores that recently took the exam in this delayed reporting period (Jan/Feb)? Some dude on reddit said he got his score this Wednesday and he took it Jan 17/18. Wonder if someone else can confirm that they're releasing scores before the March 16th scheduled reporting date.