USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone is wondering about the timeline of events leading up to the release of Step 3 scores:

Day 1: Oct 28 (Wednesday)
Day 2: Oct 29 (Thursday)

Nov 8 (Sunday): NBME "print permit" showed unavailable (after clicking)
Nov 9 (Monday) morning: NBME "print permit" disappeared entirely (no option to click)
Nov 10 (Tuesday) morning: FSMB status changed from "Active" to "Expired". No yellow box. Grey box showed Eligibility Request incomplete.
Nov 11 (Wednesday) at 0000h: NBME shows "Print Score Report" with actual scores available

Thanks to all who posted and updated this trick over the years. It definitely helped with the countdown!

Reactions: 1 users
Passed!!! The trick works. I almost developed an eating disorder from this test, I studied heavy for 2 weeks. I'm on my intern year- psychiatry residency. (I passively did qs and ccs cases on and off for like 2 months). I wont give any super specific tips to studying as I felt this test was a mix of everything and I felt it was nothing like anything (I felt I was making educated guesses all the time), my score was average, I just wanted to take this weight off my shoulders.
-My two cents:
DAY 1:
study hard biostats. this video literally saved my life.
Create a white board reference with the formulas for day 1
DAY 2:
I came on with my on CCS white board orders for everything so I wouldn't forget anything with the stress. it helped a lot!

Future reference for those freaking out:
So the trick (for the people who extended due to coronavirus "like me" worked as follows)
on Sunday after midnight-Monday Morning (permit link disappeared and was gone from NBME page)
The status passed to : EXPIRED on tuesday.
On wednesday at 0:00 you'll see your score report on the NBME applicant portal.

Good luck to everyone and def don't let this test defeat you, the curve will be gentle!

Reactions: 1 users
Passed. The trick worked, but was surprised at how soon results came! Last date 10/27, results were today; I was expecting another week of waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys I took my exam last day Nov 2 - not sure if I'll get my scores this week or not but my permit link is still there....Anyone else in this situation?

Guys I took my exam last day Nov 2 - not sure if I'll get my scores this week or not but my permit link is still there....Anyone else in this situation?

1st day on oct 26th and 2nd day was on Nov 2nd. permit link is still up and no change in status on fsmb. I still think we should be getting scores this Wednesday according to what others have posted on this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st day on oct 26th and 2nd day was on Nov 2nd. permit link is still up and no change in status on fsmb. I still think we should be getting scores this Wednesday according to what others have posted on this thread.

does this mean we failed if the link is still up??

does this mean we failed if the link is still up??

I really don't think it means you failed. The permit will eventually disappear. I've read that if you see the yellow box with a link to begin a new application it might indicate a failure. All we can do at this moment is try to curb the anxiety and wait it out.
My permit limit is gone and I wrote November 3rd (Day 1) and 4th (Day 2) however my status is still 'Approved' on FSMB (not 'expired')
my permit disappeared early this morning.. FSMB still says approved as well.

My FSMB site has gone from "Approved' to 'Expired. I have a gray box saying expired and I can begin a new application at my convenience. No link to reapply. No yellow continue box. Hopefully this trick works! Fingers Crossed!

My FSMB site has gone from "Approved' to 'Expired. I have a gray box saying expired and I can begin a new application at my convenience. No link to reapply. No yellow continue box. Hopefully this trick works! Fingers Crossed!

same here. but I have read multiple posts saying that the trick no longer works. multiple people did not get the yellow box and still failed. regardless, the wait continues. best of luck!

Passed! Trick worked! 235

Only used Uworld averaging 63% with 1 pass, and also watched the biostats videos, and reviewed MOA of abx. Took UWSA2 2 days before and got a 222 for reference.

Never thought I'd be writing this but i passed as well!! was totally convinced I had failed. super weird exam. Just stick with it. put in the time and it will work out.

Time to join the conversation/ panic I guess lol. Took exam on Nov. 16 and 17 (Monday and Tuesday). Would that mean I should expect to receive my results on Nov 25th since that is the second Wednesday? I wasn't prepared to get it that soon :eek:

Last edited:
So if at midnight - the permit link completely disappears - does that only mean that your score is arriving this wednesday? but does not indicate if you passed or failed. You have to wait until Tuesday morning for the FSMB site to change with either a link to reapply or no link- which indicates if you passed or failed? Do I understand this correctly?

So if at midnight - the permit link completely disappears - does that only mean that your score is arriving this wednesday? but does not indicate if you passed or failed. You have to wait until Tuesday morning for the FSMB site to change with either a link to reapply or no link- which indicates if you passed or failed? Do I understand this correctly?
That's my impression of "the trick" as well. Basically, if your blue link from nbme has disappeared, you are getting your score back on Wednesday at 0:00. If the FSMB site gives you a link to reapply, you apparently failed? I could be wrong, but that was my interpretation.

My permit disappeared yesterday and my status changed to expired today without option to renew. Hopefully that means I've passed!

Statue says expired without link to reapply. Exam dates 11/6 &11/9. I don’t know when the status changed. Does this by chance mean the result will be out tomorrow? If you calculate by the first day this will be the third Wednesday but by the last day it’s next week.
And I hope the trick works for me.

"trick" works as long as you dont fail...see reports here and other forums. it works bc almost noone fails. i just did not try to use this "trick", just waited for the 3rd wednesday and then pass. no more USMLE! (<- i always wanted to write that like the others)

"trick" works as long as you dont fail...see reports here and other forums. it works bc almost noone fails. i just did not try to use this "trick", just waited for the 3rd wednesday and then pass. no more USMLE! (<- i always wanted to write that like the others)
makes sense
Ouch! Anxiety continues

Statue says expired without link to reapply. Exam dates 11/6 &11/9. I don’t know when the status changed. Does this by chance mean the result will be out tomorrow? If you calculate by the first day this will be the third Wednesday but by the last day it’s next week.
And I hope the trick works for me.
Apparently the result is usually out at midnight ET so in an hour

I was hoping for my score, but I took day 2 on Nov 24. I am guessing I won't get mine until next week.