USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed, 242
UWSA 1 (2 days prior): 237
UWSA 2 (1 day prior): 237

I did not study statistics at all (because I work as a researcher), I completed all Uworld questions (71% first pass) and I only practiced 2 CCS cases and found this part to be the most difficult (was also marked lower).
What helped me was my recent step 2 exam.

Overall: If you can, take Step 3 close to Step 2 CK.

PS. Trick worked- status expired and I had no link to re-apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Passed, 242
UWSA 1 (2 days prior): 237
UWSA 2 (1 day prior): 237

I did not study statistics at all and I only practiced 2 CCS cases and found this part to be the most difficult (was also marked lower).
What helped me was my recent step 2 exam.

Overall: If you can, take Step 3 close to Step 2 CK.

PS. Trick worked- status expired and I had no link to re-apply.
wow!! congratulations

Just got my score

UWSA 1 (1 week to exam): 215
UWSA 2 (4 days to exam) : 215

This is my honest opinion, take step 3 serious. Just do the work. There is no perfect combination of prep materials (this is not Step 1).
Just make sure you do UWORLD, I finished 1 pass (62%) and did all the interactive cases. Please read the practice CCS notes on UWORLD also (while waiting for the center to open up, I read those notes and got an exact case, and it wasn't a simple one).
In all try to do step 3 close to step 2, that knowledge seems to be enough to pass the MCQs.

If you leave this exam and you do not feel scared of failing, then you are a Jedi master.
I wish you all the best and see y'all at the TOP!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Took day 2 on Wed 12/30. I was hoping for a score this week, but my "print permit" link is still up on the interactive NBME website. Hoping this isn't bad news... Has anyone else's link disappeared that is hoping for a score this week?

Guys,
I needed to use the bathroom cuz I felt nauseated and puked. Happened during the first 10 mins of the block 1 on day 1. Left the block running on. Lost 10 mins of the block. Felt fine for the rest of the exam. I’m scared now that it’ll be scored as irregular behavior and is enough for me to score less or something like that. Losing my sleep and feeling anxious. Day 2 nothing happened. Never took unauthorized break other than that one time. Feeling horrible horrible horrible. Doomed. And the fact exam didn’t go great, I’m readying myself for the worst.
😞

Reactions: 1 user
Took day 2 on Wed 12/30. I was hoping for a score this week, but my "print permit" link is still up on the interactive NBME website. Hoping this isn't bad news... Has anyone else's link disappeared that is hoping for a score this week?
I was hoping to receive my score this week too! My 2nd day was on 12/29. Permit link is still up and there is no change on FSMB. :rolleyes:

Took mine on 29th and 30th Dec. Permit link expired and fsmb still approved.

I have literally no feelings for the tests which is a very bad sign....now I am terrified

Has to do something with either in eligibility or out of it some people get expired with no link to apply as the trick and still end up failing. Then they get the link the day the score report is out?

Took day 2 on Wed 12/30. Permit link disappeared this morning Mon 1/11 and FSMB still showing Approved.

From what I've seen, the supposed "trick" details are:
- Your print permit link disappears from the interactive Step 3 NMBE site on the Sunday or Monday of the week your results get released
- Your status changes from Approved to Expired on the FSMB website on the Tuesday of the week your results get released
- There is debate about the usefulness of the box changes below your status on the FSMB website.
- Exam results are released on 0001 EST on Wednesdays

As mentioned, your position in/out of your exam eligibility period may impact the reliability of the trick . This has not been clarified though.

Last edited:
Took day 2 on 12/30 and my permit was gone this morning but my status on fsmb still says approved.
Should I expect that to change to expired on Tuesday? What time on Tuesday and I’m guessing the actual result will be 12am ESt Wednesday?

Based upon the rules above yes, if permit is gone results will be present tuesday 9 pm or 12 am Wednesday
CALI time

Guys,
I needed to use the bathroom cuz I felt nauseated and puked. Happened during the first 10 mins of the block 1 on day 1. Left the block running on. Lost 10 mins of the block. Felt fine for the rest of the exam. I’m scared now that it’ll be scored as irregular behavior and is enough for me to score less or something like that. Losing my sleep and feeling anxious. Day 2 nothing happened. Never took unauthorized break other than that one time. Feeling horrible horrible horrible. Doomed. And the fact exam didn’t go great, I’m readying myself for the worst.
😞
You will live. What were your practice test scores? I ask because I had a similar experience by accident but still passed very comfortably. And I'm an idiot.

You will live. What were your practice test scores? I ask because I had a similar experience by accident but still passed very comfortably. And I'm an idiot.
I didn’t do uwsa cuz last two USMLE exams they didn’t correlate well with my scores at all. So did not want to get under confident or over confident. Averaged 56-58 percent on uworld. Some blocks were 60-70 some 50-60. Did 51 ccs once. I’m getting legit panic attacks and I feel like a patient now.

I didn’t do uwsa cuz last two USMLE exams they didn’t correlate well with my scores at all. So did not want to get under confident or over confident. Averaged 56-58 percent on uworld. Some blocks were 60-70 some 50-60. Did 51 ccs once. I’m getting legit panic attacks and I feel like a patient now.
Count on the fact that statistically, you passed, even if by the skin of your nuts. I accidentally pressed end on one of my CCS cases without putting anything and I ran out of time on multiple blocks. My UW average was only a percentage or two higher than yours. I passed extremely comfortably. You shouldn't have a problem passing. Do your best to rest easy. You can be miserable about it now or you can just live your life as is. Nothing will stop the clock and your score will come out in a few weeks regardless. It's up to you how you want to spend the interim.

Count on the fact that statistically, you passed, even if by the skin of your nuts. I accidentally pressed end on one of my CCS cases without putting anything and I ran out of time on multiple blocks. My UW average was only a percentage or two higher than yours. I passed extremely comfortably. You shouldn't have a problem passing. Do your best to rest easy. You can be miserable about it now or you can just live your life as is. Nothing will stop the clock and your score will come out in a few weeks regardless. It's up to you how you want to spend the interim.
Thank you so much for taking your time out and replying to me. It’s nice when someone is there with comforting words. I appreciate it. I’m readying myself for worst. I just hope I’ll be able to handle working on floor and the anxiety. To think I’ll be the only one in my program to not pass is humiliating. I’m praying hard than I have ever prayed . That’s the only thing I can do. I’m trying to breathe but it’s so hard.

I really don’t want this to cost my fellowship chances after having passed other steps and all the hurdles that came with securing residency

Best thing to do now is to bury yourself in work. The busier you are the less time you’ll have to be anxious over it. I highly doubt you failed. If did not even do internal medicine floors before taking the test and I passed. If you have medicine floors under your belt you’ll be fine.

My status on FSMB changed to "Expired" today and the grey box below says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience" without a link there.

My status on fsmb changed to expired and there is a grey box below that says “your step 3 application has expired” but there is no yellow link to re-apply or anything. Does that mean I passed?

Hello Guys.
Day1 Dec 29, Day 2 Dec 31.
The permit link disappeared on Sunday
The FSMB status changed to Expired today
Grey Bo:"Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience"

I think my result will be reported this Wednesday

Hopefully we all pass, but so many mixed reviews at this time better to wait till score report comes out! Good luck to all.