USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some ppl have mentioned the link reappeared after scores came out😞
Yes which is what I am scared about! But who knows what people are going through? Some people get jealous and just say the trick didn’t work just to mess with people

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed! Finally, finished with USMLE.
The trick "worked" for me, but take this as a huge grain of salt and likely just reflects the pass rate.
I'll post my stats a bit later.

Passed!
UWSA1: 201 (4 days prior)
No UWSA2
UW was 58%, finished 70% qbank and went through all the biostatics and CCS
4 months from step2, 4 weeks of part-time preparation, used my step2 Anki cards and Divine rapid review notes. Applying for this cycle and no internal floor experience.

Step3: 201

If your step1 and step2 scores are not super high (230+) with limited clinical experience, I will highly recommend you to do the UWSA1 and make sure you have a passing score before the test. I saw a post on UW website that someone scored 201 but failed the test. The trick worked for me and I am still within the eligible period.

Anyway, I am so glad to say goodbye to USMLE/UWorld, hope my experience will help. Best luck everyone!!!

Last edited:
PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE IN THE TRICK. IT IS NOT CORRECT. The yellow button link will appear once results are out.

I have another 5-6 weeks of frustration.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 3: 223
USWA 2: 204 (1 day before exam )
No UW,not even a single question.
Only read Pediatrics, Obs-Gyn,psychiatry,and surgery from MTB-3 in 2 days
Revised bio-sate from notes given by a friend.
CCScases 20 cases in one day before D-2.
USMLE-CK 2015.

I don’t recommend what I did but just to tell you it is a doable exam!!
I m an IM resident and have done 3 ITE-IM of ACP with 80% score.
Good luck to all!

Got a 195 with ccs cases being my high point. Unfortunately this trick didn’t work as I was expecting to pass. Only studied for about 23 days off and on, mainly uworld and my notes from step 2 ck.

Didn't have the yellow box pop-up, but the status of my exam was also set to "Approved" and not "Expired". Got the update today that I passed the exam fine. So I'm pretty sure the trick doesn't work, and that it more just reflects the pass rate of the test takers.

Next release schedule March 17, due to the delay in reporting. Any chance of it getting released tomorrow? In past delayed reporting schedule, sometimes they have released it a week earlier.

Next release schedule March 17, due to the delay in reporting. Any chance of it getting released tomorrow? In past delayed reporting schedule, sometimes they have released it a week earlier.

Nope the earliest will be March 17th explicitly stated on the FSMB website for all tests taken after December 31st. Are we notified by email or do we just have to check a website. I remember for Step 1 and CK, there was a bried report notifying us our score report was out.

Last edited:
Nope the earliest will be March 17th explicitly stated on the FSMB website for all tests taken after December 31st. Are we notified by email or do we just have to check a website. I remember for Step 1 and CK, there was a bried report notifying us our score report was out.
I think you will be notified by email. At least that how it was last year.

Yes, email is expected on Wednesday morning, but sometimes scores get posted at midnight (before the email). Step 3 is fcking mind bending exam. Can’t wait to just get over with it.

Yes, email is expected on Wednesday morning, but sometimes scores get posted at midnight (before the email). Step 3 is fcking mind bending exam. Can’t wait to just get over with it.

Seriously...it's a different website to deal with, different experience with two days, there's no resources to use aside from limited UWorld, it's difficult to know what to expect on CCS, no one is telling us what the high yield topics are...etc. I wish they just made us take this before we're done with M4. I'm someone who benefits from a bit of guidance.

When I click Step 3 on the FSMB site at the bottom there's a grey box that says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." (page below). I have seen enough SDN/Reddit posts to believe this means nothing in terms of failing/passing, but does it at least mean I get my results back this week? I took my exam Feb 24/26 2021 so it's still kind of early but according to the FSMB websites Jan/Feb test dates can expect their test results starting March 17th. TBH I didn't check FSMB before today so I don't know if this is a change.

Attachments

• trick.jpg
    trick.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
When I click Step 3 on the FSMB site at the bottom there's a grey box that says "Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience." (page below). I have seen enough SDN/Reddit posts to believe this means nothing in terms of failing/passing, but does it at least mean I get my results back this week? I took my exam Feb 24/26 2021 so it's still kind of early but according to the FSMB websites Jan/Feb test dates can expect their test results starting March 17th. TBH I didn't check FSMB before today so I don't know if this is a change.
Mine also expired on friday, and the link disappeared. I took it on the 29th and 31st of January so hopefully they should finally come out all togheter this wednesday.

I have been checking since yesterday and mine is as below with no changes at all
I wrote my step 3 on 2/15/2021 and 2/17/2021
added a photo as well

• Name: XXXXX
  • Eligibility Start Date: Thursday, October 01, 2020
  • Eligibility Expiration Date: Thursday, December 31, 2020
  • Extended Expiration Date: Thursday, September 30, 2021
  • Eligibility Extension Status: Approved

Gray Box : Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.

Attachments

• Annotation 2021-03-14 120502.jpg
    Annotation 2021-03-14 120502.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 324
I have been checking since yesterday and mine is as below with no changes at all
I wrote my step 3 on 2/15/2021 and 2/17/2021
added a photo as well

• Name: XXXXX
  • Eligibility Start Date: Thursday, October 01, 2020
  • Eligibility Expiration Date: Thursday, December 31, 2020
  • Extended Expiration Date: Thursday, September 30, 2021
  • Eligibility Extension Status: Approved

Gray Box : Your Eligibility Extension has been approved. You may schedule your exam on any date prior to your new extended expiration date. No additional extensions will be granted for this Step 3 application.
Weird I have the same gray box. Mine says expired (my eligibility period was suppose to end this June), stating I can reschedule step 3 at my convenience. No yellow box or link underneath. Nothing about granting an extension

Weird I have the same gray box. Mine says expired (my eligibility period was suppose to end this June), stating I can reschedule step 3 at my convenience. No yellow box or link underneath. Nothing about granting an extension
Did you check NBME website? When I log in to NBME website, I can still see step 3 with print permit blue link. When I click on the print permit link it shows that I have sat for the exam and permit is expired.

Did you check NBME website? When I log in to NBME website, I can still see step 3 with print permit blue link. When I click on the print permit link it shows that I have sat for the exam and permit is expired.
My permit link is still there and when I click it says "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." and the FSMB thing hasn't changed yet either, still says "approved" and "You have an Eligibility Extension request that has not been completed"

FREAKING OUT!

My permit link is still there and when I click it says "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." and the FSMB thing hasn't changed yet either, still says "approved" and "You have an Eligibility Extension request that has not been completed"

FREAKING OUT!
I am freaking out as well. I have never prayed so much in my life.

Can you still see the permit link?