Step II question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

InertQuail

My school requires that we take step II by the end of December of our 4th year. Until learning this, it was my plan to take step II during the spring of my 4th year. Since this is no longer an option, which would be the most favorably looked upon by derm programs:

1.) Take Step II at the end of third year, but withhold scores.

2.) Take Step II as late as I can in December and release my scores, hoping they don't get to the derm programs until after they've sent an invitation.

The reason I ask is that I scored close to 260 on step 1, and am not expecting to do as well on step 2. I'm not admitting defeat prematurely, it's just that I know what it took me to score the way I did on step 1 and I don't think I have the time/energy to put forth the same effort for step 2.

Members don't see this ad.

My school requires that we take step II by the end of December of our 4th year. Until learning this, it was my plan to take step II during the spring of my 4th year. Since this is no longer an option, which would be the most favorably looked upon by derm programs:

2.) Take Step II as late as I can in December and release my scores, hoping they don't get to the derm programs until after they've sent an invitation.

The reason I ask is that I scored close to 260 on step 1, and am not expecting to do as well on step 2. I'm not admitting defeat prematurely, it's just that I know what it took me to score the way I did on step 1 and I don't think I have the time/energy to put forth the same effort for step 2.

option two, don't take until last minute. UNLESS---you think you can break 250 again. Trust me, with a score like yours the interviews will flow in and step 2 can only hurt you <250.

See if you can get the deadline extended, I know my school has a deadline end of Jan, but they are pretty flexbile. Explain to your dean the situation (you don't have the time to study and you don't want to hurt your chances of matching). They want you to match as good of a place as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are lucky..my schools deadline is SUPER early so schools will def see step 2 scores..but I hear they dont matter as much anyway unless you totally bomb it..everyone knows step 2 is easier than step 1.

Our "deadline" for Step 2 is also December. I am taking Step2 CS in February, CK in March. My dean didn't seem to mind.

Our "deadline" for Step 2 is also December. I am taking Step2 CS in February, CK in March. My dean didn't seem to mind.

This is encouraging. Hopefully my school allows the same leeway. thanks so much for the advice!