step II timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing.

Did well on step I (at least by my standards): mid 220's

Don't think I am going to do as well on step II based on my shelf scores and life's stresses.

When is the best time to take step II. Should I wait until next december/january or take it summer/fall like most people.

I am quite certain that my shelf will be worse by a good margin but want to get into a decent neuro program. Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

med99 said:
Here's the thing.

Did well on step I (at least by my standards): mid 220's

Don't think I am going to do as well on step II based on my shelf scores and life's stresses.

When is the best time to take step II. Should I wait until next december/january or take it summer/fall like most people.

I am quite certain that my self will be worse by a good margin but want to get into a decent neuro program. Please advise.

Neuro isn't the most competitive subspecialty out there. 220 + is a good. Step 1 score seems to be more important than Step 2 which boggles me.

I think you are overly focused on scores and should concentrate on other areas of your application as well. Many applicants will have high scores but how many will spend time disarming land mines in under-developed countries or do research while rotating through a clerkship?

Lesion Of Doom said:
I think you are overly focused on scores and should concentrate on other areas of your application as well. Many applicants will have high scores but how many will spend time disarming land mines in under-developed countries or do research while rotating through a clerkship?

While I agree with you on the above, I would still like to get peoples thoughts on the question. I'm going to do every thing I can do to make every part of my app. as strong as possible, and because of this want to know when the best time to take step II will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will be surprised with how doable Step II is. The longer you wait from your 3rd year classes, the lower your score most likley. 4th year is fun, but very busy between interviews and trying to shine on you sub-I's, etc. I don;t think a lower step II will keep you out of any interviews, however I don't think not having that score yet will hurt you either. Just remember early match means a very busy Oct, Nov, Dec.

jessimai1 said:
I think you will be surprised with how doable Step II is. The longer you wait from your 3rd year classes, the lower your score most likley. 4th year is fun, but very busy between interviews and trying to shine on you sub-I's, etc. I don;t think a lower step II will keep you out of any interviews, however I don't think not having that score yet will hurt you either. Just remember early match means a very busy Oct, Nov, Dec.

I was finding this out the hard way. It is best to get step 2 out of the way as soon as possible. It is a pain to study for it during the application and interview process.

I agree. It seems as if you are invited to an interview, they pretty much want you and just want to see if you are a person who they can work with for the next few years or so. I have been consistently told this during interviews. Everyone who they invite are great students or they would have never received the invite. I have been told this as well.

During the interview, they just want to see who really would like to be at the program and make sure that you are not the second coming of Norman Bates.