Steps I & II together ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, new to this forum. . . . I was reading through the plans, experiences,reviews . . . .etc for a while & my head is spinning :scared:, I've had this idea but I don't know if it's applicable or not;
I'm an international medical student & I've got like 1 year before I have to start taking my steps, I'll be attending my 5th year of med school during that time, If I finish my steps during this year I get the advantage of going to the interviews while doing my elective course at the US, so the question is:

Can I study for both steps 1 & 2 in a system-based plan within 1 year??, or should I consider taking a skip year if I'm aiming for high scores??

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely! the general rule of thumb you hear is Step 1: 2 months, Step 2: 2 weeks, Step 3: 2 pencils

i.e. you're gonna need to do a brutal amount of work over 2 months to do well on Step 1...then fill in clinical knowledge (off USMLE World for instance) over a month or so for Step 2...then you should be good to go...so I think a full year is ENTIRELY feasible

Thanks for your reply
But I'd like to add: I'll be attending school at that year so I have to do my "routine studying" too, I won't be able to squeeze more than 3 - 5 hrs for USMLE daily. . . .

Should I go for the systematic approach ?? i.e. Cardiovascular: basic science AND clinical (medicne & surgery) at the same time ?? I think I might be more comfortable & enjoy studying more this way -at least in theory- . . . .