Step II Steps I & II together ???

Started by Mohd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mohd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there, new to this forum. . . . I was reading through the plans, experiences,reviews . . . .etc for a while & my head is spinning :scared:, I've had this idea but I don't know if it's applicable or not;
I'm an international medical student & I've got like 1 year before I have to start taking my steps, I'll be attending my 5th year of med school during that time, If I finish my steps during this year I get the advantage of going to the interviews while doing my elective course at the US, so the question is:

Can I study for both steps 1 & 2 in a system-based plan within 1 year??, or should I consider taking a skip year if I'm aiming for high scores??

thanks
 
absolutely! the general rule of thumb you hear is Step 1: 2 months, Step 2: 2 weeks, Step 3: 2 pencils

i.e. you're gonna need to do a brutal amount of work over 2 months to do well on Step 1...then fill in clinical knowledge (off USMLE World for instance) over a month or so for Step 2...then you should be good to go...so I think a full year is ENTIRELY feasible
 
Thanks for your reply
But I'd like to add: I'll be attending school at that year so I have to do my "routine studying" too, I won't be able to squeeze more than 3 - 5 hrs for USMLE daily. . . .

Should I go for the systematic approach ?? i.e. Cardiovascular: basic science AND clinical (medicne & surgery) at the same time ?? I think I might be more comfortable & enjoy studying more this way -at least in theory- . . . .