Steps in the right direction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rb_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN community! Just wanted to get some feedback on the steps that I've taken regarding the process of getting into med school and I am looking for advice/comments/concerns ... anything helps.

So I'm a first year premed. Academics first quarter went well. Got involved with a club that provides EKG heart screenings to athletes at local high schools. Have recently obtained a hospital internship where I'll be helping out in various departments and hopefully shadowing some doctors / making meaningful connections. Have also landed a spot in a lab focused on testing new therapeutics for diabetes and multiple sclerosis. Outside of school I am part of an international traveling club where you can apply to be a member if you've reached 100 countries. This is what I've got going on so far ... just wondering if there is anything else I need to focus on? Also looking for any feedback!

(sorry if this isn't in a correct format or in the right area ... this is my first post!)

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds to me like you are doing a great job, especially for your first year of undergrad.

By their descriptions, your experiences seem like they will expose you to a lot of different areas of medicine (research/community outreach/direct shadowing).

Just keep the grades up and find meaningful roles in your activities over the years at college.

BTW: The traveling club is awesome. I haven't even been to a tenth of that requirement!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi SDN community! Just wanted to get some feedback on the steps that I've taken regarding the process of getting into med school and I am looking for advice/comments/concerns ... anything helps.

So I'm a first year premed. Academics first quarter went well. Got involved with a club that provides EKG heart screenings to athletes at local high schools. Have recently obtained a hospital internship where I'll be helping out in various departments and hopefully shadowing some doctors / making meaningful connections. Have also landed a spot in a lab focused on testing new therapeutics for diabetes and multiple sclerosis. Outside of school I am part of an international traveling club where you can apply to be a member if you've reached 100 countries. This is what I've got going on so far ... just wondering if there is anything else I need to focus on? Also looking for any feedback!

(sorry if this isn't in a correct format or in the right area ... this is my first post!)

bruhhh that club sounds like it's harder to get into than med school is... but yea you're headed in the right direction

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds to me like you are doing a great job, especially for your first year of undergrad.

By their descriptions, your experiences seem like they will expose you to a lot of different areas of medicine (research/community outreach/direct shadowing).

Just keep the grades up and find meaningful roles in your activities over the years at college.

BTW: The traveling club is awesome. I haven't even been to a tenth of that requirement![/QUOTE

Thanks man!! Really appreciate you looking over that! And yeah it took quite a while to get to all of those places ... absolutely life altering though!

bruhhh that club sounds like it's harder to get into than med school is... but yea you're headed in the right direction
Ahahaha it was quite a time commitment I have to say ... but thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!