Steps to endocrinology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know from what people have told me that after doing an IM residency you can take an endocrinology fellowship. How long are these fellowships usually, and is there any resource where I can look up information about them?

Also, is there a such thing as an IM residency having a focus on a subspecialty? If so are there any IM residencies that focus on endocrinology? Sorry if I sound very naive :p

Members don't see this ad.

Endocrinology fellowships are usually 2 years, and you would apply during your second year of IM residency. There are not subspecialty directed IM programs - we all follow the ABIM guidelines for residency curriculum, in order to come out prepared to either enter subspecialty fellowship or practice independently in general medicine. However, if you are interested in a particular specialty, you can often do research in the field during your residency to gain extra exposure, provided your residency allows time for research.

A good place to start researching specific endocrine fellowships is FRIEDA, the same place you can find information on residencies. Individual program websites usually have more up-to-date info, but it's a nice starting point.