Stethoscope Preferences??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grandpa insists on buying me my first stethoscope - What's a good stetho for future docs?? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your profile says PCOM and LECOM are on your list. You get a free Litman III if you go to either of these schools from POMA. Might be nice for your grandfather to get you your first oto/opthalmascope or a different brand stethoscope for variety.

Your profile says PCOM and LECOM are on your list. You get a free Litman III if you go to either of these schools from POMA. Might be nice for your grandfather to get you your first oto/opthalmascope or a different brand stethoscope for variety.

You guys get a free stethoscope?? All we got was a copy of Netter's, what a rip. I would say Cardio three is the choice but if you are already getting that for free, go with the opthalmascope.

You guys get a free stethoscope?? All we got was a copy of Netter's, what a rip. I would say Cardio three is the choice but if you are already getting that for free, go with the opthalmascope.

Well at least you can be consoled with your "free" laptop :)

I use the Littmann Cardiology III, it works very well. If you buy a Littmann stethoscope from scopesplus.com, you get a free Student Kit, with ascultation sounds, a free Littmann ID tag, and an extra set of earbuds. The CD is a little dry, but it lets you hear a variety of sounds.

The Littmann Master Cardiology is nice too, a bit more expensive, though. Quite a few nurses at work use Prestige Medical ones, those seem to be nice too.

just my $0.02.

I love my Magna Fortis. You can order them with any color combination of tubing, and your odds of losing it are a bit less than with the ubiquitous Littmann.

Another nifty advantage: some models have a special diaphragm with a pointed tip, which as far as I know is unique to the MF. This acts as like a parabolic pickup, letting you listen through clothes (or more commonly) layers upon layers of impenetrable fat. I've had some luck hearing otherwise inauscultatable sounds with it, though it's admittedly a bit of a pain to switch diaphragms for every patient.

I just ordered a Littman Cardio III. Thanks for all your input! :thumbup: