Stethoscopes for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEApplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a little bit of research and it seems that the Littmann III/IV are considered the best affordable stethoscopes out there, but is the price really worth it?
For other med students or residents who have used those and a cheaper alternative (Littmann Classic III, for example), have you noticed a significant difference? Is it worth paying ~2x as much?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done a little bit of research and it seems that the Littmann III/IV are considered the best affordable stethoscopes out there, but is the price really worth it?
For other med students or residents who have used those and a cheaper alternative (Littmann Classic III, for example), have you noticed a significant difference? Is it worth paying ~2x as much?
I had the Littmann classic II for med school and I thought it was perfectly fine. Now I have the cardio IV and i think there is a difference. But as a med student I couldn't have told you there was a difference. It takes some training or practice and getting used to before you can tell there is a difference. In other words, the cardio IV is superior, but if money is an issue the classic III is fine as a med student, in my opinion. Others might have different thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
I used a 15 dollar piece of **** for first and second year, it's all you need. Upgraded for 3rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an MDF stethoscope all through med school and intern year. Served me well, heard all the murmurs and all the sounds I needed to hear.

If you have the money, go for the Litmann's classic III. If taken care of, they can last a very long time.

Otherwise, get MDF Acoustica (for 25 bucks, it's pretty good).

I've been using one of the disposable stethoscopes on and off since 3rd year. It works just as well as my Classic III and is lighter and longer to boot.

112218-10392705.jpg

https://www.clarius.me/

I was checking a few stethoscope brands like 3M, MDF etc. Those prices are more than $50. I am not looking expensive stethoscope right now. Looking $15-$20 stethoscope. Anyone used Omron stethoscope? Its price only $16.57. Or I need a similar price stethoscope. Any idea?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users