Stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinboy2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Just wondering, of those of you who have already purchased your stethoscopes...what did you buy and how much did you pay for it? It seems as if most people recommend the littmann cardio iii or the littmann master cardio. Any opinions or suggestions? Also did you class do any bulk ordering? If so would you mind sharing where you found the best deal? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The best deals for medical supplies is at the start of your first year when the Littman, Tycos reps come to your school. They give deep discounts.

I have the Litman Master Cardiology but you have to check for fit.

It all depends on whether or not you are independently wealthy...

Having been a paramedic for 4 years while in college, I can safely say I have used pretty much every stethoscope there is. Without question, the Littman scopes are pretty much the best out there. If you are willing to shell out $160-$180 then the master cardio is hard to beat. That being said, for less money the master classic is another really good choice, and it is about $100 less.

However, for those of you who are willing to spend nearly $200 for a stethoscope before you've even been accepted to medical school, we need to talk...there is NO need. In time, all in due time...

Members don't see this ad :)
I purchased the Littman Cardio II (the III wasn't out yet) after finding that I could hear things with it that I couldn't hear with the Littman Classic or Littman lightweight. It is for that reason that I strongly suggest people:

a) try them out before buying them
b) don't overspend - a medical student with a Cardio Master is overkill in my book unless you are absolutely, positively 100% sure you will be doing an IM residency. But who am I to tell you how to spend your money (in the same vein I discourage people from using those $12 nurse's scopes).

The decision as to what to buy should be based on your budget, the scope that is most comfortable in your ears and that which allows you to hear the best. Most people buy the Littmans - ubiquitous, easy to get repaired and reliable.

The Harvey Profession Elite is what I used during the medical school. I received the Master Cardiology for Graduation....

I have the littmann cardio iii and love it. But I haven't compared to any others since is was a gift (thx Tim!!) But get them when they have the discount.

I purchased my stethoscope during my first year of med school when the reps come to campus. I would highly recommend getting the best stethoscope that you can get. I personally have the master cardiology. Of all the equipment that "they" say you need to get, the stethoscope is the most important. I use it everyday, its part of me practically. All the other stuff is just extra crap that is not necessary. I have a blood pressure cuff, the oto-optho set (which I barely use), reflex hammers are cheap, basically, get a good stethoscope. Its an investment and who cares if you don't become an "IM" doc because that's all you'll use in whatever field over the other stuff. Buy quality because better to pay more and get more out of it then be cheap and have to buy a whole new one later.

I needed a stethoscope for my preceptorship, so I bought a Littman Cardio III. I love it. You can find great deals on the internet either through Littman.com, stethoscopes.com, estethoscopes.com, or other companies out there.

What's a preceptorship?

I don't know if I am spelling this right, but I have heard a lot of differing opinions on whether or not one needs an opthalmoscope--if you know what I am trying to say- do you as a med student?

Kimberli-

So nurses these days are using $12 scopes? Are you sure they're not just prizes from Cracker Jack boxes?

This is just false. As one of the few doctors on this site, I'd hope that you wouldn't lead my fellow med students into thinking that nurses are just our little helpers, armed with their toy stethoscopes and trivial tasks.

As a matter of fact, the RN's, nurse midwives, and nurse practitioners who worked with me at my last job were the ones who gave me a thorough rundown regarding which stethoscope would suit me best. They had tried them all, collectively, and told me the strengths and weaknesses of each of the best selling brands.

I already hear my first year classmates' superiority complexes over nurses and other health care professionals. It makes me sick. Nurses are truly the primary caregiver for patients admitted to the hospital - without their immense skills of observation and care, patients would be dying much more often on the wards. Everyone in the hospital seems to understand that it is a team effort to make patients heal, except for the docs. The docs want to remain seperate, and above, the rest of the team. We learn this attitude early on in our training, and it's just not right.

I don't mean to imply that you, Kimberli, are guilty of all this. Your $12 comment just made me want to get up on this soap box.

Hey Bluegill,
Give Kimberly a break, every nurse I have EVER seen has that same $12-25 stethoscope on...so lighten up. In addition, where in the hell do you get off saying that crap about nurses knowing the best stethoscopes? I haven't found a floor nurse yet that can identify a murmur to save their lives, lighten up fishbait! Granted, nurses are absolutely needed for efficient care, but your comments sound a bit suspect.
I would bet money you aren't a physician at all, rather a disgruntled nurse.

Well, Freeedom echoed my thoughts on the subject in that I can state that IN REAL LIFE (not just on ER) nearly every 'scope used by one of the nurses and located in patient's rooms ARE the cheapo ones.

This should not be used to imply that nurses are incapable of hearing complex heart/anatomical sounds, but rather a simple reflection of the tools used by *most*.

I've also seen the box that these scopes come in and at least one brand actually bills them as "nurses stethoscope".

Nurses are a valuable part of the medical care team and I'm sure more than 1 nurse here will tell you how they've helped me - whether its giving advice on how to write an order or the "usual" management of a clinical problem on the wards. If they can hear sounds with those scopes, all the more power to them, but I don't trust them (the scopes) and beginning medical students shouldn't either, IMHO.

Bluegill, you must be spoiled at your hospital because all 5-6 that I've rotated at don't have nurses using $100+ stethoscopes. Nurses are just like doctors, there are good ones and bad ones. They bitch about not getting respect, but then they bitch about everything else. Sure, they have work experience but they didn't go through the training doctors have. Most of them don't understand why certain tests are ordered or the mechanisms of disease and why we are treating them. From my experience, they learn from repitition, seeing patients getting certain tests because "that's what every patient gets when they're like that" Do you really have to give tylenol to someone just because they have a temp of 100. Do we really have to write them an order of ativan or haldol just so they don't have to deal with the patient during the night? Like I said, I'm biased because a lot of nurses I've dealt with are mean, selfish, and hypocrites...is it my job to clean up the poop? I didn't think so.

Anyways, I had to get up on my soapbox too because you made nurses sound like they are so innocent and wonderful. Maybe some doctors give them no respect because they, like I, have been treated with no respect as a med student, and when you do that it will come around and bite you in the ass.

Hmmm...I wonder if it makes my wife one of the 'good ones' (RN's) b/c she has one of the expensive Litman Master Cardiology scopes that she used in the PICU...the damned residents and attendings were always trying to run off with it!

I'm with you doughboy. As a 4th year, a nurse actually called me "young man"...dude I'm 29. This wasn't meant as a complement.

I had used the Litmann Cardio II for years until it was, ummm, "borrowed" by a doc. I typically don't lend mine b/c people have lots of funk in deep, dark places like ears, and after that loss, I NEVER do. It was my favorite, and I miss it (it was much lighter than the new Cardio III & Master Cardios.) Now I have the Cardio III, it performs nicely, and they show up at the hospital about once a year for maintenance. I am sorry I got the maroon one b/c more than half the nurses in the ICU/trauma units I work in also have them (in the same color), & I am forever stopping myself from accosting someone with a scope that looks just like mine. And yes, nursing 101 does teach heart murmurs, albeit on a dummy with amplified stethoscopes attached. We got more intensive training in the critical care courses. Many of the ones carrying cheapo scopes are the CNA's, who only need them for pressures, and who only make a bit more than minimum wage. By the way...have the bell engraved with your initials so in the event it does get misplaced in all your medical school meanderings, you will be able to positively ID it. PEACE.