Stick with Penn or keep Interviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS_11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am grateful to have received multiple interviews and offers of acceptances. I've already paid my deposit for UPenn and turned down my seat at UDM. I've also decided to decline any interviews at NYU and Temple.

I was fortunate to receive an interview today from Case Western and I'm currently waiting to hear back from UPitt. Assuming I get an interview at UPitt, should I attend these interviews?

I am a Canadian applicant so the cost of education will be expensive but comparing UPenn to Case and Pitt, the difference in the cost of education over 4 years will be ~45k and ~95k respectively.

A common theme on SDN is go to the cheapest school, which in this case means attend the UPitt interview if I receive one but I would appreciate any feedback or personal experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't hurt to go to the interview. The deposit is a small sum of $ in the long run.

I would go to those interviews. That is a lot of money.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt really surprised me. I only applied because a friend of mine (who attends UMich now) told me I really shouldn’t count them out because he really liked what they had to offer. Beforehand I wouldn’t have given them a second thought, let alone a first probably. I attended my interview at Pitt (3 days before Penn) and that’s when I knew I didn’t want to attend the school I’d thrown a $1500 deposit at. Afterwards, the majority of my friends and family kept saying “It’s a no brainer, Penn’s the obvious choice, right??” Not necessarily...after I attended Pitt I said that Penn would have to top that and wow me because I really liked Pitt. Penn is Penn but (at that time) it wouldn’t have mattered if their program ideals didn’t align with what experience I wanted as a dental student. Penn did wow me though but it was still really hard deciding which one I’d go with. After getting into both schools my decision wasn’t easy. Had it not been for Penn offering a scholarship or my interest in specializing I would have been at Pitt right now.

TLDR: if you have the time and the money, go to more interviews. That’s what I did after I thought for sure I was going to school in Boston after Dec 1st. You may be surprised and find something else more in line with what you’re really looking for. Also gives you an excuse to get some traveling in during winter. Penn is great though, hope to see you here!
:welcome: :hello:

Reactions: 2 users
I am grateful to have received multiple interviews and offers of acceptances. I've already paid my deposit for UPenn and turned down my seat at UDM. I've also decided to decline any interviews at NYU and Temple.

I was fortunate to receive an interview today from Case Western and I'm currently waiting to hear back from UPitt. Assuming I get an interview at UPitt, should I attend these interviews?

I am a Canadian applicant so the cost of education will be expensive but comparing UPenn to Case and Pitt, the difference in the cost of education over 4 years will be ~45k and ~95k respectively.

A common theme on SDN is go to the cheapest school, which in this case means attend the UPitt interview if I receive one but I would appreciate any feedback or personal experience.

DDS_11: have you decided which school you will be attending? Also did you apply for any Canadian schools?

The $100,000 price difference between UPenn and Pitt is no big deal. You'll make that up in private practice within a month since Ivy League dental grads can charge much, much higher fees than lowly public grads.

Big Hoss

The $100,000 price difference between UPenn and Pitt is no big deal. You'll make that up in private practice within a month since Ivy League dental grads can charge much, much higher fees than lowly public grads.

Big Hoss

Lol....

The $100,000 price difference between UPenn and Pitt is no big deal. You'll make that up in private practice within a month since Ivy League dental grads can charge much, much higher fees than lowly public grads. Big Hoss
Takes that long?