Donvb

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
234
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I will be attending Medical school next year and my wife is going to go to two years of nursing school... This ends up being a huge financial burden, and we are going to have to take out massive loans! I am wondering if anyone here has gone through this situation, or knows of any input that would be helpful to me?

I know there are limits on the amounts of loans you can take out for professional school, and I'm worried that we may outdo those limits?? Are there any resources that I could use other than government school loans... Private loans, scholarships, etc?? Thanks for any information you can offer!
 

Krazykritter

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
903
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Donvb said:
I will be attending Medical school next year and my wife is going to go to two years of nursing school... This ends up being a huge financial burden, and we are going to have to take out massive loans! I am wondering if anyone here has gone through this situation, or knows of any input that would be helpful to me?

I know there are limits on the amounts of loans you can take out for professional school, and I'm worried that we may outdo those limits?? Are there any resources that I could use other than government school loans... Private loans, scholarships, etc?? Thanks for any information you can offer!
The limit for the Stafford loans that you can take out is slightly over 40k per year. I don't know how expensive nursing school is, but I would image that your wife could also take out student loans to pay for this...you would then only have to worry about those loans after she is out of her grace period.

My wife is luckily working (as a teacher), but we have over 17k in loans for her college education and still are making ends meet very easily. My advice is don't worry about the money if you can. If being a physician is what you want, you will find a way to make it work. Good luck
 

Aphelion

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
31
0
Jacksonville, NC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Max out your federal loans.

Private loans are available as well, which will get you through.

Live like a student. Make a budget, cook at home, bring your lunch.

My wife and I both started medical school this year and we are making it through on the federal loans so far (including $125/week for childcare).

35k each for school tuition.

Since your wife will be out of school and maybe working in 2 years, you should be fine. Talk to the financial aid folks. The hardest time will be the first year since scholarship for MS1's are hard to come by and you have the most books/equipment to buy.

Good Luck,
K
 
About the Ads

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
15,488
1,878
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look into programs with local hospitals that will pay for the nursing school in exchange for a contract to work there for x years.

Nurses are in short supply and in my area atleast 2 hospitals have this.
 

DODO

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
107
0
California
Status
BrettBatchelor said:
Look into programs with local hospitals that will pay for the nursing school in exchange for a contract to work there for x years.

Nurses are in short supply and in my area atleast 2 hospitals have this.

Good Point.
 

SOUNDMAN

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
941
2
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Aphelion said:
Max out your federal loans.

Private loans are available as well, which will get you through.

Live like a student. Make a budget, cook at home, bring your lunch.

My wife and I both started medical school this year and we are making it through on the federal loans so far (including $125/week for childcare).

35k each for school tuition.

Since your wife will be out of school and maybe working in 2 years, you should be fine. Talk to the financial aid folks. The hardest time will be the first year since scholarship for MS1's are hard to come by and you have the most books/equipment to buy.

Good Luck,
K
Now if you can get approximately 40K each for school/living expenses via federal loans, and each of your tuition is 35K each, are you telling me your living on 10K a year? Take out 6K for the childcare, and you have 4K. Am I missing some unmentioned income? Or are you using private loans as well?
 

StringBean

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
266
4
Visit site
Status
My husband and I are currently both MS4's and we have made it through with only federal loans (35k/yr tuition each PLUS living and additional school expenses). No private loans needed. I'm sure you'll be fine too, especially if she is able to take our federal loans herself for her education.
 
About the Ads