How important is research for IM? I'm in a tough situation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that having research is always going to be a plus when applying for residencies, but how important is it for IM? Specifically I want to be a general hospitalist. The reason I ask is because I am trying to figure out what to do for this summer after M1. However, I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder that has been taking over my life. I've been managing to keep my grades up and I'm going to finish 1st year, but I feel like I need the summer to relax and try to figure out how to control what's happening to me. But if me not doing research is going to significantly hurt me when applying for IM residencies, then I will push through and try to get a research position this summer. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rest.

Board scores beat research any day of the week especially if you want IM AND if you don't care for academic vs. community hospitals. which won't matter if you wanna be a hospitalist.

You can also do FM and do hospitalist medicine these days too... but somebody's gonna come in here and make this a whole messy situation with "top-tier" this and "yeah but it ain't harvard or stanford or the proper UCLA system" programs and all because there are some sdn peeps that like jerking themselves off to that type of stuff with a belt around their neck to help them sleep easier at night...

But I'm just giving you hope playa.

You'll be alright little homie.

Hope you feel better and make a speedy recovery and kick second year's ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Rest.

Board scores beat research any day of the week especially if you want IM AND if you don't care for academic vs. community hospitals. which won't matter if you wanna be a hospitalist.

You can also do FM and do hospitalist medicine these days too... but somebody's gonna come in here and make this a whole messy situation with "top-tier" this and "yeah but it ain't harvard or stanford or the proper UCLA system" programs and all because there are some sdn peeps that like jerking themselves off to that type of stuff with a belt around their neck to help them sleep easier at night...

Thank you! This is what I've been thinking too. I'm not interested in a super competitive specialty, so I didn't think it would matter too much. If anything maybe I can get a jump on board prep this summer while figuring everything with myself out. I think being 100% ready for M2 & boards is more important than 2 months of research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT do research if you wanna be a hospitalist. Would be a huge waste of time.

Reactions: 2 users
Rest.

Footnote for the bold: I would argue FM hospitalist should be back up--either you do FM and realize you love inpatient and only wanna do that OR you don't get into IM but still wanna do hospitalist.

While it's still a very valid option as Queen said, it will be harder to get a hospitalist gig in bigger cities/desireable locations. Over on the FM forums there have also been some rumblings that FM hospitalist is gonna become a mandatory fellowship... not because it will benefit physicians/patients, but because the CME industrial complex has done something similar with peds and will likely do it with FM if given the chance. Meanwhile, all you gotta do for IM is have decent inpatient experience and apply for hospitalist gigs as needed.

Footnote for the bold: I would argue FM hospitalist should be back up--either you do FM and realize you love inpatient and only wanna do that OR you don't get into IM but still wanna do hospitalist.

While it's still a very valid option as Queen said, it will be harder to get a hospitalist gig in bigger cities/desireable locations. Over on the FM forums there have also been some rumblings that FM hospitalist is gonna become a mandatory fellowship... not because it will benefit physicians/patients, but because the CME industrial complex has done something similar with peds and will likely do it with FM if given the chance. Meanwhile, all you gotta do for IM is have decent inpatient experience and apply for hospitalist gigs as needed.

One of the big reasons I want to be a hospitalist is because I can't stand seeing patients in an office; I'd rather be in the hospital all the time. So I would definitely try to go the IM route rather than FM. Is this still doable without research?

Is this still doable without research?
Do you really think the 40% of DOs on any given school's match list all have research? If you want a university program or to try and climb the prestige ladder then yes you will need research. Just to match IM in general? Unequivocally no.

Reactions: 3 users
One of the big reasons I want to be a hospitalist is because I can't stand seeing patients in an office; I'd rather be in the hospital all the time. So I would definitely try to go the IM route rather than FM. Is this still doable without research?

As people have said, it's all about what your goals are. If you're gunning for big name programs, you know the answer. If you that's not you, then no research likely isn't necessary. However, good board scores, clinical evals, audition rotations, and LORs from IM/hospitalists WILL be (you know, standard stuff).

I'm not even the biggest fan of IM, but I did fine on my IM/ICU rotation. You will too.

Echo what others have said. Also get your health straightened up. As someone who was diagnosed with a few things during my first two years, the importance of maintaining your health (both physical and mental) can not be understated

Rest.

Very true --boards>research

P.S anyone know why @QueenJames was removed?

Very true --boards>research

P.S anyone know why @QueenJames was removed?

I always felt that his posts were extremely annoying, since they were long-winded and vertically formatted, and used excessive slang as filler. I had to put him on "Ignore" for a while.

That being said, I don't recall his posting anything particularly controversial or inflammatory lately. Surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
He was a little crass and long-winded, but he seemed like a genuine and decent person. Such a shame to see yet another assassination via censorship.

Pouring one out for you @QueenJames