Still Confused About Scholarships in the Armed Forces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blkpharmer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I've searched the forums about schlorships with the Armed Forces. All Ive been reading is the schollies available to medical/dental. Someone will post a website/pdf and it will have no mention of pharmacy. I did read one and the only thing available to pharmacy students was a stipend, but you were responsible for the tuition. Maybe I'm totally off-base (no pun intended), but can someone break it down into its simplest form? Here's the scenario:

--Very interested in service
--will be attending a 3 yr acclerated program
--I can cover the 1st yr, but would love the last two yrs paid for

Which branch has a scholarship program available that will cover 100% of my tuition, fees, etc for two yrs?

Sorry, if this is redundant. Links, websites, .pdfs would be helpful!!
 
Unfortunately, I dont think there is a lot of info that I have seen that specifically talks to pharmacists besides whats on the websites of the various services. I do believe all of them that have scholarships pay for tuition, plus a monthly stipend for books, etc similar to that of the programs offered to med/dental students.

There are 3, 2, and 1 year scholarships available which you can apply for. The best way to get a lot of the information you want is to talk to those who have gone through the scholarship program, or to a healthcare professions recruiter in any one of the services.

For example, for the Air Force (http://www.airforce.com/opportunities/healthcare/education/)
they mention:
"The Air Force offers scholarships for Healthcare professionals to include: one-and two-year for Biomedical Science Corps specialties (Pharmacists, Optometrists, Clinical Psychologists, and Public Health Officers), two- and three-year for Nurse Corps specialties, and three- and four-year for Medical Corps and Dental Corps. This scholarship covers all tuition and required fees, including textbooks, small equipment items and supplies needed for study. You will also receive a monthly allowance of approximately $2,060 for living expenses. While on scholarship you will spend 45 days on active duty in the Air Force, and once you graduate you will serve active duty (one year for each year of scholarship, with a minimum of three years)."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Appreciate all da help guys...i didnt kno this was such a hard question

You do realize yesterday was Christmas, right??? 🙂

Right now, what I know of:

Army - no scholarships - every recruiter I talked to said to apply after graduation

Navy - they have one that pays a stipend but no tuition (One of my friends has this but I really don't know a whole ton about it)

Air Force - pays tuition + stipend. 1 2 or 3 year scholarships. there really isnt much on the net about these - you need to talk to recruiters in each of the services, talk to people who are on scholarship.
 
OP- yesterday was Christmas and there aren't many pharmacy students/pharmacists who know much about the armed forces. There are a few regular posters who are in the army (and maybe others) that can help answer your questions, just be patient.

Navy - they have one that pays a stipend but no tuition (One of my friends has this but I really don't know a whole ton about it).

This stipend is pretty good and would cover tuition at many pharmacy schools. I believe you're getting paid as an officer, assigned to go to school. I could be a little mistaken about the specifics, but I do know it is pretty good money.
 
I am a 4P (Class of 2013) and I recently received the 3 year scholarship with the Airforce. I can try and answer any questions however this is the military afterall, where nothing is ever set in stone. If you ask 20 different people the same question, you will get 20 different answers...everytime. I like to tell people that accepting the scholarship was a "gamble" that I am very confident about. 😀