Still have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
so here is the deal, just got my step 2 score...it was a repeat and just barely passed. Dont know why. My step 1 was 82 first time pass. Honors on all my clinicals. I know this looks super bad on my application. I was supposed to blow the test out of the water second time around. I'm an FMG interested in IM and /or neuro. Given your experience, do I still have a shot in matching? Is there anything I should do like call up PD's or something? I've applied to about 50 IM programs and 50 neuro programs. Haven't heard from about 80%.
Any suggestions, I'm kinda desperate.
Thanks
down in the dumps

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a US citizen or green card holder?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of programs did you apply to (university vs community) ?

canadian-so neither

I am still a med student so I cannot give you experience-based advice, but I am Canadian so I can say a few words about that.

Did you research the places you applied to in order to make sure they will at least sponsor a J1 Visa? They may be waiting to see if the non-visa students fill the spots before asking J1 Visa candidates.

I applied to about 50 IM programs(about 1/2 prelim and 1/2 categorical-as backup) and 50 Neuro programs, university and community and all the ones that are willing to sponsor j1/h1. I Don't know whether to apply to more programs or to start applying to family/psych. Ideally I want IM prelim then neuro. I just don't know if I shoudl call or email the PD's and talk to them, maybe even show up (the ones near me) or just wait. So far I have one interview and rejections from about 20 places. Any advice??
so confused...

I applied to about 50 IM programs(about 1/2 prelim and 1/2 categorical-as backup) and 50 Neuro programs, university and community and all the ones that are willing to sponsor j1/h1. I Don't know whether to apply to more programs or to start applying to family/psych. Ideally I want IM prelim then neuro. I just don't know if I shoudl call or email the PD's and talk to them, maybe even show up (the ones near me) or just wait. So far I have one interview and rejections from about 20 places. Any advice??
so confused...

Maybe the prelim interviews are low on their list to do. Call or email a couple places. Some places may put us FMG's on the back burner, unless you truly seem interested.