still need a little more direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

rstev

Are community college courses (hard sciences) really looked down upon. It is a more prudent situation for me, finanially speaking.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take any of your core science courses at a community college...these being the requried courses for medical school.

I would try to stay away from courses like Biochem and Anatomy at a community college as well.

Psychology, Sociology, etc...those should be OK.

If finances are an issue, try taking them on a per credit basis at a university.

Good luck.

Biochem and the other usual upper-division courses are not going to be offered at the community college level...or if they are, they are a lower-level course which you should avoid.

Good pre-reqs to take at a community college include Gen Bio, Gen Chem, Physics, Organic, Microbio, math courses, and anything "general ed."

I would avoid anatomy at a CC unless you know that the instructor is stellar. Many of the anatomy courses I've seen at the CC level are really dumbed down.

Most medical schools (except maybe the higher tier ones) won't be concerned that you took them at a CC. Do be sure that you go to a good CC, though.

BTW: I've taught at a CC for 6 years. Always try to check into the instructors for your actual course section. Many CCs thrive on adjunct instructors (part-timers like me)...most are very good, but some are a waste of space. Don't stay if you find yourself in a poor-quality section; change to a better one.

I took general chemistry, biology, and organic chemistry at a community college. I got into 4 osteopathic medical schools and had 3 interviews that I turned down. Just do well in your courses and don't worry about the rest. I would, however, prove that you can do well in science classes at the university level. Therefore, taking some extra science courses, or some of the prerequisites, at a 4 year institution would be a good move if most of your prerequisites were at a community college. Take care and good luck.