Still undecided about applying this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt32red

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of us can make a decision for you. It’s a big, life changing step and if you don’t feel ready don’t do it. You only want to apply one time with the best possible application. You want to present the best you. You want your application and essays and secondaries to scream pick me for your school. I don’t get, from what you wrote, that you feel that way about what you’ve currently done. And that’s okay. Apply when you are ready. As @Goro always says “ med schools aren’t going anywhere”. Good luck as you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're overthinking it. COVID screwed with everyone last year, so hours are going to be down across the board for the next few years.

That said, everyone's ECs could ALWAYS be just a little better, so you have to pull the trigger at some point. I felt the same way last year, and waited, but I wasn't a non-trad, my ECs did suck, and COVID screwed me up at the last minute while it didn't really impact most candidates. From your post, you honestly look fine.

If your MCAT is where it looks like it is going to be, you can certainly wait, but there honestly will be no reason to. You'll be at the same fork in the road this time next year. Three gap years is plenty, given that one of them was the Great Pandemic. Good luck!